breakaway cable

Old August 24th 09, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

Default breakaway cable

Hi All,
done a silly thing and after unhitching drove car away from van, but had
forgot to undo the breakaway cable.
I have bought a new cable, but can anyone please tell me how to split the
key ring type of fastener on the new cable, it is very very strong and I am
getting on in years, any suggestion please

thanks in advance

lofty

Old August 24th 09, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Lofty laid this down on his screen :
Hi All,
done a silly thing and after unhitching drove car away from van, but had
forgot to undo the breakaway cable.
I have bought a new cable, but can anyone please tell me how to split the key
ring type of fastener on the new cable, it is very very strong and I am
getting on in years, any suggestion please

A thumbnail to get it started, followed by wedging a screwdriver blade
in it to hold it open long enough to start winding onto the bottom of
the handbrake lever.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old August 27th 09, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Lofty laid this down on his screen :
Hi All,
done a silly thing and after unhitching drove car away from van, but had
forgot to undo the breakaway cable.
I have bought a new cable, but can anyone please tell me how to split the
key ring type of fastener on the new cable, it is very very strong and I
am getting on in years, any suggestion please

A thumbnail to get it started, followed by wedging a screwdriver blade in
it to hold it open long enough to start winding onto the bottom of the
handbrake lever.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Thanks,
you must have strong thumbnails harry

lofty

Old September 1st 09, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hace

On 24 aug, 17:24, "Lofty" wrote:
Hi All,
done a silly thing and after unhitching drove car away from van, but had
forgot to undo the breakaway cable.
I have bought a new cable, but can anyone please tell me how to split the
key ring type of fastener on the new cable, it is very very strong and I am
getting on in years, any suggestion please

thanks in advance

lofty

Clamp the ring as low as possible in a bench-vice, jam a flat
screwdriver in the ring, turn it 1/4 turn and this should open the end
big enough to put it through the hole.
With a set of pliers hold the ring, take out the screwdriver, and
start turning the ring.