Water Pump

Old August 24th 09, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Seán Mac Eachaidh

Default Water Pump

I need to pump up water by pressing my foot on the water pump.
Normally, after the water arrives at the tap, there is a continual
flow and the tap can be used.
Recently, when I stop pressing the pump with my foot, the flow of
water ceases. Can anybody help me with this problem please?
Old August 25th 09, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Seán Mac Eachaidh wrote:

I need to pump up water by pressing my foot on the water pump.
Normally, after the water arrives at the tap, there is a continual
flow and the tap can be used.
Recently, when I stop pressing the pump with my foot, the flow of
water ceases. Can anybody help me with this problem please?

Before we start to rewrite the laws of physics, perhaps you can
give us a few more clues.

In case others have similar equipment, what caravan do you have?
Do you have any details of the pump?

Is this a foot operated mechanical water pump, lifting water from
an external container? In your previous experience, how long
would water flow after you stopped pumping?

I had such a foot pump in my first caravan, but it only produced
water whilst I pumped.

The only way that I can think of to produce the effect you
describe is for there to be, either accidentally, or
deliberately, some air trapped in the system. As you pump, the
trapped air is compressed, and when you stop, there is still
enough pressure to push out a bit more water.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old August 25th 09, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Seán Mac Eachaidh wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree that it's very unclear as to what sort of pumping system the OP
has. My first caravan had a purely mechanical foot-operated pump, which had
to be repeatedly pressed and released for it to work. If the OP normally has
to press the 'pump' only once to achieve a continuous flow of water, it
sounds as if it's an electric pump - perhaps with a manual priming system?
If so, maybe the electric pump itself has failed, or maybe a non-return
valve has failed.

But I agree that we need nore details about how it is *supposed* to work
before being able to comment further.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 26th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Seán Mac Eachaidh

On 25 Aug, 08:13, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Seán Mac Eachaidh wrote:
[...]

My caravan is a Corniche 12/2 Swift. I think the year is 1988. I am
new to this forum and send my reply to Chris direct, by mistake. I am
grategul to Chris anf Roger for their responses.