How to repair motorhome aluminium skin

Old September 2nd 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
James Harris

Default How to repair motorhome aluminium skin

Perhaps the first thing I shoud ask is how can I confirm the metal
skin of my motorhome is really aluminium - or at least an aluminium
alloy? Is any other type of metal used to clad motorhomes?

Then, given that it is aluminium, how is it best to seal it? (It has a
number of small holes in areas.) I have access to the inside of the
skin so could put panels there at least in most places.

Perhaps someone sells aluminium sheeting and there is some way to bond
strips of that to the existing metal? I never studied metals at
school. The best I can guess is to use adhesive to join the inside
strips to the existing skin and then use some sort of resin to make
good the outside. The doubt over that is that I don't think resin is
flexible.

So, any help appreciated.

James
Old September 11th 09, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
trefor[_2_]

You can make a tidy patch by using pop rivets.
Just cut the ally neatly, drill holes about an inch apart, apply some
silicone sealer, and rivet it together. (Put the patch on the outside)

Sheet aluminium avalable at most DIY stores, I think Maplins have small
pieces too.

Just buy a cheap pop riveter, they usually come with a selection of rivets.

HTH

Trefor

Old September 11th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
James Harris

On 11 Sep, 08:51, "trefor" wrote:
[...]

I think I'd rather use adhesive than rivets but that said, there would
probably be no harm in using both.

Sheet aluminium avalable at most DIY stores, I think Maplins have small
pieces too.

OK, I'll check those stores.

Just buy a cheap pop riveter, they usually come with a selection of rivets.

HTH

It does, thanks.

James
Old September 11th 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dougal

James Harris wrote:
On 11 Sep, 08:51, "trefor" wrote:
[...]

Your original intention, as I read it, of sticking a patch to the inside
and dealing with the outside cosmetically is perfectly possible. Unless
it comes to serious structural repairs there should be no need for
mechanical fasteners. Today's glues/fillers will deal with these
situations (including the vibration) extremely well given the correct
preparation etc..

Sheet aluminium avalable at most DIY stores, I think Maplins have small
pieces too.

You'll get aluminium off-cuts from all over the place - for free. Just
keep your eyes open - roofers, sheet metal fabricators etc. etc.. Even a
aluminium drinks can will do for a minor hole, but that would likely be
mendable without the patch anyway.

OK, I'll check those stores.