Recomendations for a good aerial

Old September 4th 09, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Croft

Default Recomendations for a good aerial

I have just purchased a new 12v TV ready for the HD conversion in a couple of months.
(Technika 15.6" HD Ready LCD TV with built-in Freeview 99 at Tesco.)
It seems to need a higher signal than its tube predecessor.
Does anyone have any recomendations on caravan aerial methods?
TIA
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Old September 4th 09, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dave Croft" wrote in message
I have just purchased a new 12v TV ready for the HD conversion in a couple
of months.
(Technika 15.6" HD Ready LCD TV with built-in Freeview 99 at Tesco.)
It seems to need a higher signal than its tube predecessor.
Does anyone have any recomendations on caravan aerial methods?

Best thing is to use a proper aerial on a proper mast, the top of which is
higher than your (and therefore your neighbour's) caravan.
You can get ground anchor and mast or jockey wheel mount from Towsure.
There are also masts which attach to the caravan itself, you just put the
extensions in when you set up.

Next best but more convenient are the ones that go through the caravan roof
and you can change the direction from inside but they tend to compromise on
the aerial itself although they're more convenient to set up on site.

I wouldn't bother with the round things or the other gadget type ones

Rgds

Andy R

Old September 4th 09, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Croft

Thanks Andy, I didn't know how good the aerial blobs on the roof were.
I won't buy one on your advice.
I am at this moment trying the existing mast aerial on the new set but after
30 mins of very poor reception I just found that the mini hurricane we have
has blown the mast round. I will have a coffee & then try again.8^)
Should the aerial itself be different for digital TV?
The aerial guy did change mine for the house set .

Old September 4th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Croft

"Dave Croft" wrote in message ...
Thanks Andy, I didn't know how good the aerial blobs on the roof were.
I won't buy one on your advice.
I am at this moment trying the existing mast aerial on the new set but after
30 mins of very poor reception I just found that the mini hurricane we have
has blown the mast round. I will have a coffee & then try again.8^)
Should the aerial itself be different for digital TV?
The aerial guy did change mine for the house set .
Dave Croft

I just had a re-try with the aerial corrected and a maxview 12v amplifier
& the signal is now fine.
The only remaining problem is the cheap Tesco TV which although working fine
has a very narrow viewing angle so that when I sit on the low caravan beds I
lose a lot of the contrast on the picture. I will have to tilt the TV to get the correct angle.
(or try another TV)
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Old September 4th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Dave Croft explained :
I have just purchased a new 12v TV ready for the HD conversion in a couple of
months.
(Technika 15.6" HD Ready LCD TV with built-in Freeview 99 at Tesco.)
It seems to need a higher signal than its tube predecessor.
Does anyone have any recomendations on caravan aerial methods?

Yes, get a satellite system.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old September 4th 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave Croft
writes
I have just purchased a new 12v TV ready for the HD conversion in a
couple of months.
(Technika 15.6" HD Ready LCD TV with built-in Freeview 99 at Tesco.)
It seems to need a higher signal than its tube predecessor.
Does anyone have any recomendations on caravan aerial methods?
TIA

What HD conversion is that?

You can either

get a free standing aerial as someone has already suggested

fit a directional aerial through the roof of the van - these come with
mast head amplifier

fit a round "sputnik" Status aerial Again these have mast head
amplifier. Generally not as good as the directional ones but bear in
mind signal levels will be boosted as digital switch over proceeds.

Get a satellite dish, as someone has already suggested.

The advantage of the roof fitted aerials is that it is less clutter to
worry about when packing the van. I've used both types quite happily on
Freeview - but then I bought a decent TV
--
hugh

Old September 4th 09, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Dave Croft
writes
[...]

I have 17" HD tv from curry's and it works fine on freeview one the status
type arial fitted to the van

Lofty

Old September 4th 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Simpsons

I just had a re-try with the aerial corrected and a maxview 12v amplifier
& the signal is now fine.
The only remaining problem is the cheap Tesco TV which although working
fine
has a very narrow viewing angle so that when I sit on the low caravan beds
lose a lot of the contrast on the picture. I will have to tilt the TV to
get the correct angle.
(or try another TV)
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

The Sharp Aquos range are the only small sets that I have found, to have a
good vertical viewing angle.
Very pleased with mine.
Fred

Old September 4th 09, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"The Simpsons"
wrote in message
o.uk...

I just had a re-try with the aerial corrected and a maxview
12v amplifier
& the signal is now fine.
The only remaining problem is the cheap Tesco TV which
although working fine
has a very narrow viewing angle so that when I sit on the low
caravan beds I
lose a lot of the contrast on the picture. I will have to tilt
the TV to get the correct angle.
(or try another TV)
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

The Sharp Aquos range are the only small sets that I have
found, to have a good vertical viewing angle.
Very pleased with mine.
Fred

Seconded

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old September 5th 09, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave Croft" wrote in message
I have just purchased a new 12v TV ready for the HD conversion in a couple
of months.

What do you mean?

Aerial use a domestic one.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.