Generators

Old September 11th 09, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
barno

Default Generators

Hi all,
I have just bought a camper van and am after a bit of advice. I need a
generator to provide power when I am not staying on a site with hook up. So
do any of you use them? If so do you have any recommendations and what sort
of size should I be looking at?
I am only going to be using it for charging the batteries if needed, a
laptop, TV and PS2. However it will be either the TV and the PS2 or the
laptop, not all at the same time.

TIA,
Barno

Old September 11th 09, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Argentobarbus

"barno" a écrit dans le message de
.com...
Hi all,
I have just bought a camper van and am after a bit of advice. I need a
generator to provide power when I am not staying on a site with hook up.
So do any of you use them? If so do you have any recommendations and what
sort of size should I be looking at?
I am only going to be using it for charging the batteries if needed, a
laptop, TV and PS2. However it will be either the TV and the PS2 or the
laptop, not all at the same time.

TIA,
Barno

A noise generator ?

M.

Old September 11th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"barno" wrote in message
.com...
Hi all,
I have just bought a camper van and am after a bit of advice. I need a
generator to provide power when I am not staying on a site with hook up.
So do any of you use them? If so do you have any recommendations and what
sort of size should I be looking at?
I am only going to be using it for charging the batteries if needed, a
laptop, TV and PS2. However it will be either the TV and the PS2 or the
laptop, not all at the same time.

Firstly you're probably better off posting to uk.rec.motorcaravans.

Secondly the only thing you'll do with a genny is **** off everybody else.
Apart from motorsport or club activity type events almost everyone goes away
for peace and quiet and no matter how quiet your genny claims to be it will
be the predominant noise.

In 10 years of caravanning followed by 7 years of motorcaravanning I've
never needed a genny. We've had laptops, TVs, umpteen chargers, lights and
whatever else and never run out of power. Unless you run a TV all evening
for a couple of days a 100AH battery should be more than sufficient for your
needs. If you do flatten the battery just go for a drive.

Rgds

Andy R

Old September 11th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tick[_2_]

I used to have a genny But found to noisey. Tried a few including Honda
which were the best
but still to noisey,Ok if you are on your own.

Now gone for a 110watt Solar panel Placed on the roof of the Van at last
silence
I have 2 x panels 1 x 60w and the other is 50w
Perfect charges all day and even better when the sun is out,Both panels
bought off ebay

mike
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................

Old September 12th 09, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

We go to a lot of steam fairs and classic car rallies where there is no
electric and a lot of them have them and they seem noisey at times. My
sister keeps hers in her van which houses her tractor so you cannot hear it,
otherwise folk put them in the hedge or cover them up.
We manage with an inverter to run the tv but of course it is not on a lot,
perhaps it might do your job though
Liz

Old September 26th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave[_15_]

"barno" wrote in message
.com...
Hi all,
I have just bought a camper van and am after a bit of advice. I need a
generator to provide power when I am not staying on a site with hook up.
So do any of you use them? If so do you have any recommendations and what
sort of size should I be looking at?
I am only going to be using it for charging the batteries if needed, a
laptop, TV and PS2. However it will be either the TV and the PS2 or the
laptop, not all at the same time.

TIA,
Barno

If you HAVE to go for a generator, make it the inverter type. Using a genny
for TV's or laptops can be risky, I should know. I ruined a printer and a
couple of power supplies when my 4 stroke generator started giving out more
than 240 volts (didn't know it at the time did I !!!)
I know the price is higher but look at the second-hand price. I now have a
Honda 2.0eI and it copes very well if somewhat noisier than I would like.
Dave

Old September 30th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:40:21 +0100, "barno"
wrote:

Hi all,
I have just bought a camper van and am after a bit of advice. I need a
generator to provide power when I am not staying on a site with hook up. So
do any of you use them? If so do you have any recommendations and what sort
of size should I be looking at?
I am only going to be using it for charging the batteries if needed, a
laptop, TV and PS2. However it will be either the TV and the PS2 or the
laptop, not all at the same time.

TIA,
Barno

If you can charge or run your laptop, TV and PS2 directly from a 12v
source i.e. your vehicle battery, you could look for a generator to
fast charge your vehicle battery without the need for 240v AC. This
is exactly what I do.

If you can get hold of a Honda ED300 or ED400 battery charging genny,
one of these will give you an adjustable constant charging current of
up to 19Amps for the ED300 and 17Amps for the 400. Taking this route
it is only necessary to run your genny for maybe 30 - 45 minutes a
day(during the noisiest part of the day to be courteous) in order to
keep your battery fully charged.

Using this system, We can be self sufficient in battery power
indefinitely. This includes the use of maybe 2 hours of TV per
evening, plus the radio/cd player, plus a charger for all our AA
batteries, and all the caravan lighting.

For us, a solar panel would be of limited use as we are often pitched
amongst trees. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any small
charging generators currently in production, so second-hand is the
only option.

HTH

Neil