tube heater

Old September 18th 09, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pete

Default tube heater

The blow air heating to the bathroom in our Abbey spectrum 540 is
rather dismal. There is a plinth to the side of the toilet bowl on the
rear wall and i`m thinking of installing a tube heater there. Any
comments? Pete

Old September 20th 09, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Harry Pleavin expressed precisely :
"pete" wrote in message
The blow air heating to the bathroom in our Abbey spectrum 540 is
rather dismal. There is a plinth to the side of the toilet bowl on the
rear wall and i`m thinking of installing a tube heater there. Any
comments? Pete

It is a metal tube with an element inside it, they used to be a common
method to help keep condensation off shop windows.

Getting back to the OP...

Why is the heat so poor? Could you not adjust the other outlets to
ensure a better flow to the bathroom? Is the flow poor or simply cool
by the time it gets to the bathroom?

Does the duct pass down under the floor and thus loose much of its heat
to the outside air? I seem to remember others had problems with heat
loss and found a method to insulate the duct to help prevent it.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old September 20th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
"pete" wrote in message
The blow air heating to the bathroom in our Abbey spectrum 540 is
rather dismal. There is a plinth to the side of the toilet bowl on the
rear wall and i`m thinking of installing a tube heater there. Any
comments? Pete

It is a metal tube with an element inside it, they used to be a common
method to help keep condensation off shop windows.

Getting back to the OP...

Why is the heat so poor? Could you not adjust the other outlets to
ensure a better flow to the bathroom? Is the flow poor or simply cool
by the time it gets to the bathroom?

Does the duct pass down under the floor and thus loose much of its heat
to the outside air? I seem to remember others had problems with heat
loss and found a method to insulate the duct to help prevent it.

I had an Abbey Spectrum 418T (1996) with rear bathroom. No problem with
the heating. In fact I had to close the vent in the bathroom as too much
air flowed in. If the pipe does go under the floor I would expect it to
be already insulated on an Abbey.
--
hugh

Old September 22nd 09, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pete

The problem is that it`s a long drag for the fire to push any heat to
the bathroom.The van is 26ft long. I`ve biased the airflow to the
longest run and i`ve disconected some of the air ducting that goes
from under the bed to the airing cupboard via under the floor. This
has increased the airflow and I am now in the process of insulating
the remaining ducting in an attempt to keep the heat. I`ve decided not
to go down the route of a tube heater on the grounds of a fire risk.
Pete. On82 Sep 20, 9:59*pm, Harry

Old September 23rd 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_2_]

"pete" wrote in message
The problem is that it`s a long drag for the fire to push any heat to
the bathroom.The van is 26ft long. I`ve biased the airflow to the
longest run and i`ve disconected some of the air ducting that goes
from under the bed to the airing cupboard via under the floor. This
has increased the airflow and I am now in the process of insulating
the remaining ducting in an attempt to keep the heat. I`ve decided not
to go down the route of a tube heater on the grounds of a fire risk.
Pete. On82 Sep 20, 9:59 pm, Harry

They also don't give out much heat. We had a van years ago that someone had
fitted them under all the bunks with wire meshing over the top of them and
then put vents in the fronts of the bunks to let the heat out.. it didn't
work very well.

Lee

Old September 23rd 09, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

REDSKINS submitted this idea :
They also don't give out much heat. We had a van years ago that someone had
fitted them under all the bunks with wire meshing over the top of them and
then put vents in the fronts of the bunks to let the heat out.. it didn't
work very well.

It wouldn't, notice how cold it is in the bunks when it is warm inside
the caravan, but cold outside.