Al-ko spare wheel holder moving it back to clear motor mover.

Old September 23rd 09, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Al-ko spare wheel holder moving it back to clear motor mover.

When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and removed,
I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate the warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am adaptor had
been used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

Old September 23rd 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

David wrote:

When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and
removed, I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate
the warranty. This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved
back, am adaptor had been used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

It's difficult to see how that would work, and there doesn't seem to be any
sort of adapter available from Alko - so it would presumably have been
produced by a third party.

As far as I can see [ http://92.52.96.201/pdfs/sparewheelcarrier2005.pdf ]
the carrier *needs* holes in the chassis at the correct spacing - for the
anchor points one side, and for the tops of the pull-out bit to engage with
on the other side. I can't see how you could fit a carrier *without* using
holes in the chassis. The 'official' holes are punched and swaged into the
chassis (not drilled) at the manufacturing stage. Drilling new holes would
almost certainly result in undesirable - maybe fatal - stresses.

Are you sure that this 'modified' caravan was using an Alko carrier? There
may be third party carriers which clamp on to the chassis, and don't require
any holes.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old September 23rd 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"David" wrote in message
When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and removed, I
was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate the warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am adaptor had been
used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

About 70.00 from Read caravans in Blackburn

So there Trev told me

NEVER EVER Drill an Alko chassis

DieSea

Old September 23rd 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

David wrote:

When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and
removed, I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate
the warranty. This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved
back, am adaptor had been used. Anyone any info. on this adaptor?
Regards David

We took our spare wheel carrier off after suffering a puncture on the
M25 and being unable to slide the carrier out due to the puncture being
on the nearside and the kerb being about 1" high .. to have stopped in
such a position to be able to use the carrier would have menat the 'van
being about 12" into the nearside lane, which we deemed unacceptably
dangerous.

We eventually got it sorted, luckily, when some passing friends stopped
and we physically lifted the 'van to get the wheel out. This also
prompted us to review our breakdown kit as the jack similarly wouldn't
fit under to a jacking point .. well, it would, but was unable to be
used properly in the situation!!

We now simply carry the spare wheel in the 'van (doesn't fit in the
front locker) and put it under the 'van when on site.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old September 23rd 09, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"David" wrote in message
When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way
and removed, I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would
invalidate the warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am
adaptor had been used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

Maybe a daft question, but couldn't the mover have been fitted in
front of the wheels rather than behind?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old September 23rd 09, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Woody" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message
When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and removed, I
was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate the warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am adaptor had been
used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

Maybe a daft question, but couldn't the mover have been fitted in front of the
wheels rather than behind?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

If it a Twin axle with 2 motors rather than 4 motors some people recommend you
raise the Jockey wheel to relieve some pressure on the front axle , making it
easier to turn

I'm not 100% convinced that this method wouldn't cause stress and invalidate the
guarantee

DieSea

Old September 24th 09, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and
removed, I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate the
warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am adaptor had
been used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

Powrtouch supply an adaptor to move the spare wheel carrier back - this is
probably what you saw. See:-
http://www.powrwheel.com/powrtouch.a.../powrtouch.asp

They don't give a price, so you'll need to ring them!

John Miller

Old September 24th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Woody" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message
When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and
removed, I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate the
warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am adaptor
had been used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

Maybe a daft question, but couldn't the mover have been fitted in front of
the wheels rather than behind?

If the mover hits an object when fitted in front it is moved onto the wheel
and you just can't tow your caravan any more, a fitter is needed to release
it.
Eg, high kerb, sleeping policeman of a rock on a field etc.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old September 24th 09, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

John Miller wrote:

"David" wrote in message
When my Mover was fitted the spare wheel carrier was in the way and
removed, I was not allowed to drill new holes as it would invalidate
the warranty.
This w/e saw a caravan with spare wheel carrier moved back, am
adaptor had been used.
Anyone any info. on this adaptor?

Powrtouch supply an adaptor to move the spare wheel carrier back -
this is probably what you saw. See:-
http://www.powrwheel.com/powrtouch.a.../powrtouch.asp

They don't give a price, so you'll need to ring them!

John Miller

Come back Messrs Heath & Robinson - all is forgiven!

Quite apart from looking like an overgrown Meccano construction, it appears
to reduce the ground clearance of the carrier by a fair bit. I wonder what
happens at the other end (not shown in the photos)?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old October 2nd 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

David said the following on 24/09/2009 11:55:

If the mover hits an object when fitted in front it is moved onto the
wheel and you just can't tow your caravan any more, a fitter is needed
to release it.
Eg, high kerb, sleeping policeman of a rock on a field etc.

Don't have to be 'fit' just a large hammer and/or spanner aimed at the
right spot.