Aerial Signal Strength Meter

Old October 2nd 09, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

Default Aerial Signal Strength Meter

Has anyone found one of the above suitable for use with Status boosted
aerials?

I have just bought one from Maplins only to find it is not compatible
with boosted aerials.
Maplins product code A55JB

--
hugh

Old October 2nd 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 14:47:42 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

Has anyone found one of the above suitable for use with Status boosted
aerials?

I have just bought one from Maplins only to find it is not compatible
with boosted aerials.
Maplins product code A55JB

I bought one that is similar to the mplins one that works by lighting
LEDs progressively as the signal gets stronger, and yes it works with
the boosted status multidirectional aerial ( not much use though as
there is no way to improve the signal. It works a treat if the signal
is good as you can identify the place where the signal moves up into
higher level LED displays, but if the signal is weak then you can turn
the aerial around all you want and all you get is just 1 LED lit. I
used it and thought that an analogue meter would have been better and
saw one in Maplins but on reading the blurb it says it is only
suitable to identify signals between 70 and 80db, where the LED
version I have ranges from 50 to 90db and since that meter frequently
only lights up the one led suggestiong a signal strength of between 50
and 60db I doubt the analogue meter would do anything at all.
Bill Lord

Old October 2nd 09, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , bill lord
writes
[...]

Thanks Bill. I have the same type of aerial. What make was your meter.

Having bought a digital TV I could probably just use the signal strength
indicator on that, except the aerial is on the opposite side of the van
and at the other end of the kitchen/lounge area, but it probably
involves reading the instruction manual :-)
--
hugh

Old October 2nd 09, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:33:21 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , bill lord
writes
[...]

THe meter is a labgear one, and I still use the www.wolfbane.co.uk
site to get the direction for the transmitters before I go it is still
the best way to go.
Bill Lord

Old October 3rd 09, 04:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil Pearson

That is exactly what I do. I have all the TV transmitters in my mapping
program. Know the polarity and co-ordinates of the TV transmitter. When I
arrive, plot a course from my position to the TV transmitter and with my
true bearing compass in my GPS align the TV aerial to the TV transmitter. I
know prior to setting up if I will get a picture or not. I don't do hit and
miss and mess around. If slim to no chance of a terrestrial signal I opt
for the satellite TV.

Old October 3rd 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 04:43:03 GMT, "Neil Pearson"
wrote:

If slim to no chance of a terrestrial signal I opt
for the satellite TV.

If I am in that situation then I take what is available, there is
little on the TV at any time that is unmissable so all that I really
want it for is the news and weather once a day. The rest of the time
if we want to watch something it will be a DVD.

Bill Lord