Citroen C4 as towcar

Old October 6th 09, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

Default Citroen C4 as towcar

Hi guys

we're looking to a new car, and for various reasons have settled on
the C4 Picasso/Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi with EGS (wife has to have an
auto).

We tow a 1991 Elddis Typhoon XL - ex works weight 890Kg, Payload 250
Kg. However we don't carry the spare bunk, and only use a lightweight
awning ... when I last weighed in/out we came in at a squeak over
120Kg.

Now the tow weights of the C4 are 1180 for the Grand (7 seater) and
1300 for the 5 seater ...

What's the groups opinion on towing with the Grand ?
Old October 6th 09, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 08:52:43 -0700 (PDT), Jethro
wrote:

Hi guys

we're looking to a new car, and for various reasons have settled on
the C4 Picasso/Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi with EGS (wife has to have an
auto).

We tow a 1991 Elddis Typhoon XL - ex works weight 890Kg, Payload 250
Kg. However we don't carry the spare bunk, and only use a lightweight
awning ... when I last weighed in/out we came in at a squeak over
120Kg.

Now the tow weights of the C4 are 1180 for the Grand (7 seater) and
1300 for the 5 seater ...

What's the groups opinion on towing with the Grand ?

Never mind what the tow weights are what is the kerbweight of the car,
once you know that you can decide whether you would be happy towing
with it. The usual accepted towing ratio ( caravans maximum weight
divided by cars kerbweight mutilplied by 100 ) is 85% but a slightly
higher figure can be acceptable though anything above 100% is a
definite no no.
Bill Lord

Old October 6th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

wrote:
[...]

( Get rid of the spaces *and use symbols for the hyphen at and dots )

kerbweight = 1499 Kg x .85 = 1274 Kg

so we're well within 85% ..... (maximum laden mass of van = 890+250 =
1140 Kg) .....
Old October 6th 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

....plus if the 'van is heavier than the towing vehicle you are
limited to 50mph in the UK.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 6th 09, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:33:00 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

...plus if the 'van is heavier than the towing vehicle you are
limited to 50mph in the UK.

Not so, a trailer towed by a vehicle which has a maximum laden mass of
3500kg may travel at 60mph on dual carriageways and 50mph on single
carriageways unless there is a lower restriction.
Bill Lord

Old October 6th 09, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
,
Jethro writes

wrote:
[...]

You must not exceed the max permitted towing weight of the vehicle as
specified by the manufacturer. If I interpret what you said above
correctly you are very close but just inside.
--
hugh

Old October 6th 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:27:57 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

You must not exceed the max permitted towing weight of the vehicle as
specified by the manufacturer. If I interpret what you said above
correctly you are very close but just inside.

It is not a clear cut offence if you exceed the manufacturers towing
weight, it is a civil offence in that it would invalidate any warranty
on the car and in certain circumstances your insurers may choose not
to honour any claim you make. It is however an offence to exceed the
Maximum train weight for the car which is plated on the car.
Bill Lord