Advice on new van

Old October 10th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Default Advice on new van

We are going to look at a Europa Sterling fixed bed caravan and a Bailey
Moselle, they are similar age and price, the fixed bed appeals most.
Anyone own either and can give advice. We have been more than happy with our
Swift but want to upgrade and possibly get a fixed bed, does it mean you
loose lots of space.
Liz

Old October 10th 09, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Liz Hall wrote:

We are going to look at a Europa Sterling fixed bed caravan and a
Bailey Moselle, they are similar age and price, the fixed bed appeals
most. Anyone own either and can give advice. We have been more than happy
with our Swift but want to upgrade and possibly get a fixed bed, does
it mean you loose lots of space.
Liz

Well, you don't get owt for nowt! Either the van will be longer and heavier
but have the same amount of living space or it will be the same size and
have less living space - or somethere in between.

I fancy a fixed bed van myself to save the hassle of converting living space
to sleeping space and vice versa every day, and to save us both having to go
to bed at the same time - but anything with a decent amount of living space
would be quite a lot longer and heavier than my current van.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old October 11th 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Thanks we are going to have a look but as we also tow our caravan with an
old car we might be on the limit we will see
Thanks for your imput and I realise it is all about compromise and it is a
toss up between L shaped lounge which we like and fixed bed. The visitors
might end up sitting on the bed ha ha!
Liz

Old October 11th 09, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Liz Hall
writes
We are going to look at a Europa Sterling fixed bed caravan and a Bailey
Moselle, they are similar age and price, the fixed bed appeals most.
Anyone own either and can give advice. We have been more than happy with our
Swift but want to upgrade and possibly get a fixed bed, does it mean you
loose lots of space.
Liz

Basically, yes.
We have upgraded this year and have in 2 years gone from an 18' Abbey
Spectrum to similar size Lunar Clubman and now a 21ft Explorer Crusader
and the latter has the smallest living/kitchen space of them all. It has
an L shaped lounge which is quite restrictive for 4 people, but
fortunately there are only two of us.
--
hugh

Old October 11th 09, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

We have now looked around and are not buying at the moment, we were
surprised how much extra weight the fixed bed made. We tow with a classic
car at times so weight is important, we really like our present set up of
end bathroom and L shaped lounge and would not like to loose these.
Liz

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Liz Hall
writes

Old October 11th 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
We are going to look at a Europa Sterling fixed bed caravan and a Bailey
Moselle, they are similar age and price, the fixed bed appeals most.
Anyone own either and can give advice. We have been more than happy with
our Swift but want to upgrade and possibly get a fixed bed, does it mean
you loose lots of space.
Liz

Liz,
I think you should seriously reconsider what you are about to do and really
think how much of the day is taken up with bedmaking.
I can never understand why anybody would want to tow around another two
metres of caravan to have a fixed bed. In our little Avondale 380/2 we can
make the bed up in a couple of minutes and put it away in a similar time.
Our bedding consists of two double sleeping bags and a couple of pillows.
Each of us have a shower every evening so this ensures the bedding remains
clean for trips of six or seven weeks. The sleeping bags are also given an
'airing' outside whenever the weather allows. I think a fixed bed with
sheets and blankets or duvet is a bit over the top for camping. A small
caravan has many other advantages including the ease of towing and being
able to manoeuvre it on pitches by hand. You also do not lose any space in
the living area during the day.
Regards.
Dave.

Old October 11th 09, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Bed making , Simple

I always make sure there's a LOCAL on my door step

When I get back the bed is made and warmed

The following morning when I get up the bed is put to "BED" and the breakfast is
made while SHMBO gets up and puts her War Paint on

DieSea

Old October 12th 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
[...]

That's one way to do it DieSea. In our marriage I do technical and she does
drudgery. The rules say that she decides what task is included in each
category. Fortunately for me bedmaking falls into the drudgery
classification :-)

Regards.
Dave

Old October 12th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:09:10 +0100, "Dave D"
wrote:

That's one way to do it DieSea. In our marriage I do technical and she does
drudgery. The rules say that she decides what task is included in each
category. Fortunately for me bedmaking falls into the drudgery
classification :-)

Lets see if I got it right, you fetch the water empty the waste and
the loo, empty the waste bin, put up the awning, peel the potatoes,
wash up, clean the car and the van, make the brews, go get another
bottle of wine when she needs one and open it for her then pour her a
glass, plus if there any odd jobs that occur during the day you get to
do them, she cooks and supervises your jobs letting you know when she
thinks they should be done. (:-)
Bill Lord

Old October 12th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

That's one way to do it DieSea. In our marriage I do technical and she does
drudgery. The rules say that she decides what task is included in each
category. Fortunately for me bedmaking falls into the drudgery
classification :-)

One more thing I forgot my marriage is based around the idea that she
makes all the minor decisions and I make the major decisions, thank
goodness that in 40 years there has never been a decision that has
been referred back to me because it is a major decision. (;-)
Bill Lord