Bleeper not working

Old October 14th 09, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

Default Bleeper not working

The bleeper that tells me the caravan indicators are working has ceased to
bleep when indicating left. I've checked the left indicator on the 'van and
it is working fine. When indicating right the bleeper bleeps OK.
Is it likely that the magic box with all the wires going in and out has
stopped working on one side or should I check elsewhere first.
I have a spare magic box to fit at the weekend but any guidance would be
helpful.
TIA Graham.

--

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Old October 14th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

GrahamW wrote:
The bleeper that tells me the caravan indicators are working has ceased to
bleep when indicating left. I've checked the left indicator on the 'van and
it is working fine. When indicating right the bleeper bleeps OK.
Is it likely that the magic box with all the wires going in and out has
stopped working on one side or should I check elsewhere first.
I have a spare magic box to fit at the weekend but any guidance would be
helpful.
TIA Graham.

The 'bleeping' element is likely to be common to the two sides. I
wouldn't blame the 'box' at this stage.

Check for obvious things like indicator repeaters on the car not working.

The 'box' is probably telling you that it is not seeing the full 21W
additional load that it expects.

You suggest that all was well and it is no longer. Have you changed any
bulbs or touched any of the connections (both on the car and the caravan)?

Is the LH caravan indicator bulb the correct wattage?

Any bulbs appearing less bright than the equivalent on the opposite
side? - check for poor connections. Have you checked the 12N plug/socket
connections?

Is there any sign of brake light bulbs illuminating at the same time as
the indicator in the same light unit? - if yes, check the earth
connection at the light unit.
Old October 14th 09, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , GrahamW
writes
The bleeper that tells me the caravan indicators are working has ceased to
bleep when indicating left. I've checked the left indicator on the 'van and
it is working fine. When indicating right the bleeper bleeps OK.
Is it likely that the magic box with all the wires going in and out has
stopped working on one side or should I check elsewhere first.
I have a spare magic box to fit at the weekend but any guidance would be
helpful.
TIA Graham.

Possibly the pins in your plugs not making quite as good connection as
it should. With a small screwdriver just open out the segments slightly
in the male side. Then spray with WD40

Worked for me.
--
hugh

Old October 15th 09, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , GrahamW
writes
[...]

Hugh, please read the OP. He says the light on the van is working
correctly so why do anything to the plug/pins?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 15th 09, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Woody wrote:
"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , GrahamW
writes
[...]

It's not such a stupid suggestion as you imply. A poor contact with high
resistance could result in less than 21W being drawn by the affected
circuit which the 'box' may not recognise as a functioning bulb.
Old October 15th 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Dougal wrote:

It's not such a stupid suggestion as you imply. A poor contact with high
resistance could result in less than 21W being drawn by the affected
circuit which the 'box' may not recognise as a functioning bulb.

Indeed so. A poor earth on the light cluster might also do this.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old October 15th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Woody
writes
"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , GrahamW
writes
[...]

No the light APPEARS to be working properly
You obviously don't understand how the bleeper works.
Unlike you I am offering the OP a bit of advice based on my own actual
experience and (if YOU read the OP) I am responding to his request for
alternative suggestions other than replacing the bleeper unit.

--
hugh

Old October 15th 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , GrahamW
writes
The bleeper that tells me the caravan indicators are working has ceased to
bleep when indicating left. I've checked the left indicator on the 'van
and
it is working fine. When indicating right the bleeper bleeps OK.
Is it likely that the magic box with all the wires going in and out has
stopped working on one side or should I check elsewhere first.
I have a spare magic box to fit at the weekend but any guidance would be
helpful.
TIA Graham.

Possibly the pins in your plugs not making quite as good connection as it
should. With a small screwdriver just open out the segments slightly in
the male side. Then spray with WD40

Worked for me.
--
hugh

Thanks Hugh,
That has actually cured it. The indicator light on the 'van looked OK in
daylight but When I tried in the dark it was not as bright as the right
indicator.
A spray of contact cleaner in both plug and socket and a slight opening of
the pins and everything is back to normal.
Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Regards, Graham

--

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?