Water carrier storage

Old October 17th 09, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Wally

Default Water carrier storage

What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

Old October 17th 09, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Wally wrote:
What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

I'd suggest closed and containing a low level fill with a Milton
solution - a couple of inches depth in the bottom is fine. Slosh it
around to wet all interior surfaces before leaving it.

I've treated non-roll containers like this for over 30 years with no
problems.
Old October 17th 09, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Wally" wrote in message
What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

Empty

Leave top on ( Keeps any Creepy Crawlies out )

Before use next spring flush out

Then soak in diluted "MILTON"

Then flush out again

Don't let "MILTON" get ANY WHERE NEAR the hot water system

The hot water tank doesn't like it

And by the way don't forget to drain down the water system

It costs a fortune to replace

DieSea

Old October 17th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:09:09 +0100, "Wally"
wrote:

What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

The best way is to continue using it.
Why stop caravaning because it is cold.
Old October 18th 09, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

wrote:

What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

For me it's empty, lid off. A small amount of dust and maybe creepy
crawlies are easily flushed out before next use. Stored with the lid
on if not completely dry causes a smell which an be hard to get rid
of.

Neil

Old October 18th 09, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Wally wrote:

What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

We just keep caravanning.

Hayfield Lakes for Bonfire Night Rally, Norfolk for New Year, Salisbury
plain Jan/Feb ... and anything else we squeeze in ..

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old October 18th 09, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

I have never considered it, after November our next usual trip out is
in February and I consider that the beginning of our year and have
always used a steriliser in all the water system at that point. Never
had a problem and the barrel just comes home and is slung in the
garage with everything else.
Bill Lord

Old October 18th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

wrote:

What is the best way to store water carriers for
the winter?.
(the round roll along type)
Should they be left full, empty, lid on, lid off????
I don't want to get it out in the spring and be greeted
with the smell of stale water.
Any suggestions please.

Wally

I have never considered it, after November our next usual trip out is
in February and I consider that the beginning of our year and have
always used a steriliser in all the water system at that point. Never
had a problem and the barrel just comes home and is slung in the
garage with everything else.
Bill Lord

I just leave empty with cap on, slosh out when next using, never used milton
or anything else, never had any problems with smell or taste.
Been 'vanning for the last 15yrs, no probs with water barrels.

lofty

Old October 20th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Wally

Thank you all for your replies

Wally