resealing a skylight

Old October 19th 09, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

Default resealing a skylight

What is the best way to reseal a skylight? After being out in driving rain,
I noticed a bad leak from my skylight in the WC. Water was flowing down
through the screw holes. When I got back home, I unscrewed the inside
plastic finish and pushed up on the skylight to release it. It came away
easily and when I drew it into the van, I noticed no sign of mastic on the
bit that rests on the roof. I climbed up for a look at the roof of the van
and found that silicone, the type you would put round your bath was all
over the place, but done in such a way that it was applied to the side of
the skylight fitting. The skylight fiting looks like it should have mastic
applied to the underneath of it so it is pressed onto the roof, and then
the inside trim is screwed on to tighten it, forming a seal. The wooden
frame around the skylight hole is black and saturated and smells of rot. I
have resealed the skylight temporarily with caulk after scraping all the
silicone off the aluminium skin with a Stanley knife blade. I intend going
to Halfords where they are selling Carafax IDL99 Sealant for a quid a pop.
Hopefully this will seal up the van and allow the inside to dry out, when I
can then take stock of the damage done.
Anyone have any thoughts on the above? Are my actions correct, and are
there any gotchas I should know about? Any tips gratefully received.

--
The above post may contain traces of irony
Old October 20th 09, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 20 Oct, 00:18, Tunku wrote:
[...]

You need W4 mastic sealing strip. It comes in rolls, I think of 5m
either 19 or 32mm wide. Clean both surfaces well, make sure they are
dry. Overlap at the corners. Job done!
Old October 20th 09, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:08:40 -0700 (PDT), Lunar475
wrote:

On 20 Oct, 00:18, Tunku wrote:
[...]

Carafax IDL99 does at least as good a job as W4 mastic strip, it's
just a bit more messy.
Bill Lord

Old October 20th 09, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Tunku expressed precisely :

Anyone have any thoughts on the above? Are my actions correct, and are
there any gotchas I should know about? Any tips gratefully received.

Those few I have dealt with the surround screws into battens
surrounding the hole, which you suggest are rotten. The sealant goes
between outer skin and the outside lip of the skylight frame.

Can I suggest getting some viscqeene (sp?) and gaffa taping this over
the area, to prevent any further water entry until you have had time to
assess and deal with it properly?

If the timber is rotten, then remove it to prevent the rot spreading
further (if it hasn't already) and give the rest a chance to dry out.

A good few years ago I bought van which had the skylight sealed like
yours and had been leaking badly for some time. It had rotted all of
the roof timbers and wrecked the lining, but the side timbers were
fine. I ended up rebuilding the entire roofing timbers and the lining,
but managed it without disturbing the outer skin. It took me a weekend,
to repair. The damage is always much worse than it first appears to be.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old October 20th 09, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

Tunku expressed precisely :

[...]

I have a sheet of clear polystyrene which I could put over the hole
after removing the skylight. Exposing the wet timber sounds like a good
move.

--
The above post may contain traces of irony
Old October 20th 09, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Tunku brought next idea :
I have a sheet of clear polystyrene which I could put over the hole
after removing the skylight. Exposing the wet timber sounds like a good
move.

I think you meant clear plastic sheet, which will be fine. Polystyrene
is that expanded white plastic insulation stuff often used for packing
in carboard boxs. Put some timber battens laid across the roof where
the rooflight was, with the plastic on top, so it is raised and doesn't
fill with rain water.

Old October 21st 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gaz[_4_]

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tunku brought next idea :
I have a sheet of clear polystyrene which I could put over the hole
after removing the skylight. Exposing the wet timber sounds like a good
move.

I think you meant clear plastic sheet, which will be fine. Polystyrene
is that expanded white plastic insulation stuff often used for packing
in carboard boxs. Put some timber battens laid across the roof where the
rooflight was, with the plastic on top, so it is raised and doesn't fill
with rain water.

Harry, that white plastic insulation stuff is *expanded* polystyrene.
Polystyrene is the plastic that Airfix kits are made from, and it's also
available in sheets, known as plastic card, in white, black and
transparent. There may also be other colours.
Old October 21st 09, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Gaz was thinking very hard :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tunku brought next idea :
I have a sheet of clear polystyrene which I could put over the hole
after removing the skylight. Exposing the wet timber sounds like a good
move.

I think you meant clear plastic sheet, which will be fine. Polystyrene is
that expanded white plastic insulation stuff often used for packing in
carboard boxs. Put some timber battens laid across the roof where the
rooflight was, with the plastic on top, so it is raised and doesn't fill
with rain water.

Harry, that white plastic insulation stuff is *expanded* polystyrene.
Polystyrene is the plastic that Airfix kits are made from, and it's also
available in sheets, known as plastic card, in white, black and transparent.
There may also be other colours.

Thanks for the explanation.