Any experience of HitchDrive?

Old October 20th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett[_2_]

Default Any experience of HitchDrive?

Has anyone used one of these, or have knowledge?
We bought a caravan in the summer (Gobur Carousel) and a friend who has
graduated to a biggeer van with motor mover has given us one.
It's an old model, needs spares. The makers haven't bothered to reply to
e-mails, but was in a caravan shop at the weekend, who 'used to sell
them', but say they had problems, particularly with the gearbox.
Any info/advice welcome, please.

John
Old October 20th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Cole

I got rid of mine right away. I does what it says but then I can push
the caravan
on a hard ground. No good on soft going. If you have a bad back and
can't push
then it's OK. Give them a phone,
Mike

Old October 20th 09, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

John Moppett presented the following explanation :
Has anyone used one of these, or have knowledge?
We bought a caravan in the summer (Gobur Carousel) and a friend who has
graduated to a biggeer van with motor mover has given us one.
It's an old model, needs spares. The makers haven't bothered to reply to
e-mails, but was in a caravan shop at the weekend, who 'used to sell them',
but say they had problems, particularly with the gearbox.
Any info/advice welcome, please.

If you don't facy the weight or expense of the alterntives, then I find
it is a good option. I find it especially good when it is time to hitch
up, to inch it into place and I always find a way to do this either on
the flat or with a slight downhill slope. I also find it handy for
manouvering it into and out of its tight home in my drive.

I don't know about the common problems with the gearbox, but I did find
mine would fill up with water. There was no failure, but last year I
stripped it cleaned it, lubricated it and added a hole in the bottom to
make sure there was drainage. The gearbox looked very robust. The only
fault I have suffered was the spring breakking which forces the crank
handle to spring back, to act as a brake and a puncture in one of the
wheels - due to me not checking it was properly inflated.

What has failed on yours? I think the later parts will fit the older
model, there was not much difference.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old October 20th 09, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett[_2_]

Mike Cole wrote:
I got rid of mine right away. I does what it says but then I can push
the caravan
on a hard ground. No good on soft going. If you have a bad back and
can't push
then it's OK. Give them a phone,
Mike

On 20 Oct, 11:06, John Moppett wrote:
Has anyone used one of these, or have knowledge?
We bought a caravan in the summer (Gobur Carousel) and a friend who has
graduated to a biggeer van with motor mover has given us one.
It's an old model, needs spares. The makers haven't bothered to reply to
e-mails, but was in a caravan shop at the weekend, who 'used to sell
them', but say they had problems, particularly with the gearbox.
Any info/advice welcome, please.

John

Thanks. Our trouble is that I have heart failure and my wife arthritis,
so a mechanical aid is tempting. Our view is slightly coloured by our
only outing, a one night wehn we picked it up, where we had to reverse
round and up a slope. Very hot clutch!!

John
Old October 20th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett[_2_]

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Thanks, it certainly seems worth pursuing. The one problem could be that
the wheels are differnt. Really need the later tyres, as they have much
more tread.

John
Old October 20th 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

John Moppett laid this down on his screen :
Thanks, it certainly seems worth pursuing. The one problem could be that the
wheels are differnt. Really need the later tyres, as they have much more
tread.

The later one comes with a plate/bracket which you can stand on, to
give it more weight on the tyres - I found it just as easy to stand on
the tyre and never use the plate. Ebay sell the tyres and inner tubes
much cheaper.