Pressure switches

Old October 21st 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_2_]

Default Pressure switches

Hello all.
my water pump is currently operated by micro switches in the taps, If I
fitted a pressure switch to the system, I realise that the switch operates
when the taps open, i.e. when the pressure drops , but what's to stop the
water flowing back in to the tank? is there a one way valve in the pressure
switch?

Regards

Lee

Old October 21st 09, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
Hello all.
my water pump is currently operated by micro switches in the taps, If I
fitted a pressure switch to the system, I realise that the switch operates
when the taps open, i.e. when the pressure drops , but what's to stop the
water flowing back in to the tank? is there a one way valve in the
pressure switch?

There's generally a separate switch and non-return valve.

IMHO, if you've got a working microswitch version, don't change it.
Pressure switches need constant adjustment on battery as the voltage drops,
they switch on for a few secs on the middle of the night as the water temp
(and therefore pressure) drops and if you get a leak they continue pumping
water until it's all gone then burn out your pump.

Rgds,

Andy R

Old October 21st 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_2_]

"Andy R" wrote in message

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
Hello all.
my water pump is currently operated by micro switches in the taps, If I
fitted a pressure switch to the system, I realise that the switch
operates when the taps open, i.e. when the pressure drops , but what's to
stop the water flowing back in to the tank? is there a one way valve in
the pressure switch?

There's generally a separate switch and non-return valve.

IMHO, if you've got a working microswitch version, don't change it.
Pressure switches need constant adjustment on battery as the voltage
drops, they switch on for a few secs on the middle of the night as the
water temp (and therefore pressure) drops and if you get a leak they
continue pumping water until it's all gone then burn out your pump.

Thanks Andy.

what I am hoping to do is to use it on the water inlet pipe to a Dishwasher.
so that when the dishwasher needs water it looses pressure between the
dishwasher and the pressure switch and then operates the water pump. I will
be leaving all the taps on microswitches for the reasons you gave!

Lee

Old October 22nd 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , REDSKINS
writes

"Andy R" wrote in message

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
[...]

If you put the 12v feed to it through it's own supply switch then you
will avoid the problems Andy describes - only switch on when you want to
use the dishwasher.
--
hugh