Quaint Olde English songs.... [1]

Old October 24th 09, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The gods have made us mad

Default Quaint Olde English songs.... [1]

[Original]

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

[New Labour Version]

I will not own a Country, nor my race, at any cost
I only have derision for virtues that are lost;
My overwhelming passion, the ambition of my heart
Is to destroy this nation, and see it torn apart.
My hate is overwhelming, my only true desire
Is to obey my master and do what he requires.

[Original]

I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
Across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me.
Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on her head,
And round her feet are lying the dying and the dead.
I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns,
I haste to thee my mother, a son among thy sons.

[New Labour Version]

To set about destruction of all that I despise
I ridicule old values, and pretend all fools are wise.
I open wide the floodgates, that all might enter in
And I legislate for evil and the furtherance of sin.
To enslave a once free people, who might oppose my cause
I bind them with falsehoods and cruel oppressive laws.

[Original Version]

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.

[New Labour Version]

There is a greater empire, whose cause I choose to serve
Where I shall be rewarded with all that I deserve.
There, I shall dwell in splendour as Europe's faithful son
And from my golden palace, reflect on victories won.
Great Europe has commanded that I achieve its aims -
And to win my master's favour, I'll put this land in chains.

Old October 24th 09, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The gods have made us mad

The gods have made us mad wrote:
[Original]

wrong group - but never mind.