Caravan Battery problem

Old October 25th 09, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T.R.

Default Caravan Battery problem

Battery won't charge up in caravan.Charged the battery on an ordinary
charger at home then put battery back in van and it seemed to decharge till
flat.Took out battery and tried to charge it at home again blew charger
fuse.Any Ideas please it's driving me NUTS T.R.

Old October 25th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 25 Oct, 14:45, "T.R." wrote:
Battery won't charge up in caravan.Charged the battery on an ordinary
charger at home then put battery back in van and it seemed to decharge till
flat.Took out battery and tried to charge it at home again blew charger
fuse.Any Ideas please it's *driving me NUTS T.R.

After a time batteries lose some of the filling from their plates it
falls to the bottom of the battery and shorts out the plates. This is
called sulphating and is usually terminal for the battery. There are
some chargers available that claim to "recover" from this state but it
usually means that you need a new battery.

Fred
Old October 25th 09, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

T.R. wrote:

Battery won't charge up in caravan.Charged the battery on an ordinary
charger at home then put battery back in van and it seemed to
decharge till flat.Took out battery and tried to charge it at home
again blew charger fuse.Any Ideas please it's driving me NUTS T.R.

Sounds like a bad battery, but my sisters just had exactly the same
happen to hers. Caravan, battery etc all about three months old ..
turned out to be a duff charger, replaced charger and now screwed
battery on warranty ...

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old October 25th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

"T.R." wrote in message
Battery won't charge up in caravan.Charged the battery on an ordinary
charger at home then put battery back in van and it seemed to decharge
till flat.Took out battery and tried to charge it at home again blew
charger fuse.Any Ideas please it's driving me NUTS T.R.

Hi TR

There could be many things, but has been said about sulphating which is a
possible cause.

But you need to find out why your onboard charger is not working, and you
said it blows the fuse in the home charger(don't know what type you are
using)

But if it is too low state of charge some chargers won't charge (or blow the
fuse).

Also if you are using a standard car type charger don't leave it on for more
that 24 hrs as the voltage they can get up to (20Volts) can boil a battery
dry.

Metwo

Old September 22nd 13, 09:08 PM
Toby Arthur Hamish Toby Arthur Hamish is offline
Junior Member

I have worked in caravan industry for many years and caravan chargers are a constant problem mainly because they are mostly made in china as cheap as possible a very large proportion of them fail because they don't have enough heat dissipation considering the cost of these chargers to the supplier in UK the replacement cost is outrageous also the main supplier seems to have a monopoly.
said it blows the fuse in the home charger(don't know what type y

Also if you are using a standard car type charger don't leave it on for more
that 24 hrs as the voltage they can get up to (20Volts) can boil a battery
dry.

Metwo[/quote]