batteries again

Old October 25th 09, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

Default batteries again

Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months ago, and
have just taken off the 'van
what is the best way to keep it in tip top condition until I take the van
out again.

thanks in advance

lofty

Old October 25th 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Lofty wrote:

Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months
ago, and have just taken off the 'van what is the best way to keep it
in tip top condition until I take the van out again.

thanks in advance

We don't take ours off, just leave it hooked up to the mains and use
the caravan trickle charger to keep it ticking over. Mind, we also use
it roughly every two to three weeks, so longest it's been 'off-road',
or not in use, is probably one month ... last year when the Disco was
on blocks while I replaced the rear diff after it lunched itself in
France.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old October 25th 09, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

"Lofty" wrote in message
Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months ago, and
have just taken off the 'van
what is the best way to keep it in tip top condition until I take the van
out again.

thanks in advance

lofty

Hi Lofty

If you keep the van at home or you have access to mains just leave it
connected to the onboard PSU

Won't over charge but will keep it topped up over the winter

Metwo

Old October 26th 09, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"METWO" wrote in message
"Lofty" wrote in message
Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months ago,
and have just taken off the 'van
what is the best way to keep it in tip top condition until I take the van
out again.

thanks in advance

lofty

Hi Lofty

If you keep the van at home or you have access to mains just leave it
connected to the onboard PSU

Won't over charge but will keep it topped up over the winter

Metwo

Hi Metwo

Due to where I live I have to keep my van stored on a farm, with about 300
others, so no electric
to keep on charge

lofty

Old October 26th 09, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Karoo

"Lofty" wrote in message
o.uk...

"METWO" wrote in message
"Lofty" wrote in message
Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months ago,
and have just taken off the 'van
what is the best way to keep it in tip top condition until I take the
van out again.

thanks in advance

lofty

Hi Lofty

If you keep the van at home or you have access to mains just leave it
connected to the onboard PSU

Won't over charge but will keep it topped up over the winter

Metwo

Hi Metwo

Due to where I live I have to keep my van stored on a farm, with about 300
others, so no electric
to keep on charge

lofty

In that situation I would take the battery home and put it on a maintenance
charger; some full size normal chargers have a maintenance facility but I
use one of the small chargers sold for the purpose e.g.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...8946&langId=-1
Barry

Old October 26th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

Aldi and Lidl had their chargers on offer recently - they're perfect for
keeping batteries charged up if you don't have electricy at the van.

Old October 26th 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"TTT" wrote in message
Aldi and Lidl had their chargers on offer recently - they're perfect for
keeping batteries charged up if you don't have electricy at the van.

thanks very much everyone

lofty

Old October 26th 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:00:15 -0000, "Lofty"
wrote:

Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months ago, and
have just taken off the 'van
what is the best way to keep it in tip top condition until I take the van
out again.

thanks in advance

lofty

One of thoses automatic chargers from Aldi would do the job. I kept
my 'van battery connectred to one all through last winter. The
battery lost no electrolyte at all and the specific gravity in all
cells stayed at 1.30. My battery will over-winter the same way again
this year. Alternatively you could pay 4 times the price for a Cetec
one!

Neil

Old October 26th 09, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

Hi All
continuing eith the battery theme, I purchased a new one 2 months ago, and
have just taken off the 'van
what is the best way to keep it in tip top condition until I take the van
out again.

thanks in advance

lofty

One of thoses automatic chargers from Aldi would do the job. I kept
my 'van battery connectred to one all through last winter. The
battery lost no electrolyte at all and the specific gravity in all
cells stayed at 1.30. My battery will over-winter the same way again
this year. Alternatively you could pay 4 times the price for a Cetec
one!

Neil

Or perhaps do as I do

Run a fused lead from the grey socket on the Discovery

It keeps the battery charged as run around

Swap it every month or so with the second battery

With 2 virtually fully charged batteries I can mange at least a weeks water /
light and radio during the winter

DieSea

Old November 5th 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
muzz

wrote:

[...]

I leave mine on the drive and connect it to the mains to keep the
battery topped up. but every so often it is worth taking it out and
giving it a good charge with a good charger.

www.caravanningamigos.co.uk