LD lines Dover Boulogne - The Norman Arrow

Old November 5th 09, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Default LD lines Dover Boulogne - The Norman Arrow

LD lines have decided to replace the High Speed catamaran on the Dover
Boulogne route with a conventional ferry. 19 jobs have sadly been
lost.
The Norman Arrow is to be laid up in Portsmouth, and is expected to
operate a service between there and Le Havre next summer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8343324.stm

We (eventually) traveled on the ferry early in September, and were
beset by delays due to weather.
There was a comment from one of the staff on the dock on that occasion
who said that the Captains didn't like going into Boulogne with the
vessel when the weather was calm, let alone when it was windy.
We found that, although the crossing took only an hour, delays in
docking and unloading ate into the time saved.
Calais still seems to be 'the one' if heading west or south/south
west, depending of course, where you live.
Old November 6th 09, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

CELTIC LINK FERRIES (IRELAND) START PORTSMOUTH-CHERBOURG ROUTE FROM SUNDAY
4TH OCTOBER

Following an agreement reached with French company LD Lines for the vessel
"Norman Voyager", Celtic Link Ferries are pleased to announce they will
begin operations on the Portsmouth to Cherbourg route this weekend.

The first sailing from Cherbourg to Portsmouth will be at 2330 on Sunday 4th
October 2009. The first sailing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg will be at 1500
on Monday 5th October 2009.

The Norman Voyager will be used during the weekdays for Portsmouth to
Cherbourg, and then for the weekends Rosslare to Cherbourg. Both routes will
be operated by Celtic Link Ferries. The Norman Voyager has capacity for up
to 800 passengers, 200 cars and up to 120 freight vehicles. Onboard
facilities include 110 cabins, bar, restaurant, lounges and shop.

The Diplomat will be used during the weekdays for Rosslare - Cherbourg, and
during the weekends for Portsmouth - Cherbourg. Both routes will be operated
by Celtic Link Ferries. In order to encourage customers onto this smaller
vessel, all meals for both passenger and freight customers onboard the
Diplomat sailings will be FREE.

The Celtic Link Ferries new timetable will be a daily afternoon sailing from
Portsmouth (typically 1500), and an overnight sailing from Cherbourg every
evening (typically 2330).

Celtic Link Ferries Director of France, Pascal Higuera, comments: "Celtic
Link Ferries have been interested in starting on the Portsmouth to Cherbourg
route for several years. The opportunity has now come, and we look forward
to offering our valued freight customers with an alternative route to/from
France as well as offering a new low cost travelling option for tourist
passengers wishing to reach Cherbourg from the UK."

"To demostrate our commitment to low fares on the Portsmouth to Cherbourg
route, we have created a launch offer of only 49 each way for a Car+driver.
But hurry as this fare will only be valid for the first 10 cars on every
sailing in 2009!"

Old January 18th 10, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robin[_3_]

Default LD lines Dover Boulogne - The Norman Arrow anyone remember Hoverloyd?

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 01:16:48 -0800 (PST), Lunar475
wrote:

LD lines have decided to replace the High Speed catamaran on the Dover
Boulogne route with a conventional ferry. 19 jobs have sadly been
lost.
The Norman Arrow is to be laid up in Portsmouth, and is expected to
operate a service between there and Le Havre next summer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8343324.stm

We (eventually) traveled on the ferry early in September, and were
beset by delays due to weather.
There was a comment from one of the staff on the dock on that occasion
who said that the Captains didn't like going into Boulogne with the
vessel when the weather was calm, let alone when it was windy.
We found that, although the crossing took only an hour, delays in
docking and unloading ate into the time saved.
Calais still seems to be 'the one' if heading west or south/south
west, depending of course, where you live.

I think the hovercraft was the only true turn up and go transport...
boy did we go across in some rough seas and it always seemed to be
there ready for us whenever we went anywhere.... I miss the noisy
bloody thing.
Old January 18th 10, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

Default LD lines Dover Boulogne - Also Poole Cherbourg

wrote:

LD lines have decided to replace the High Speed catamaran on the Dover
Boulogne route with a conventional ferry. 19 jobs have sadly been
lost.
The Norman Arrow is to be laid up in Portsmouth, and is expected to
operate a service between there and Le Havre next summer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8343324.stm

For those that go from Poole to Cherbourg, the Barfleur is stopping ion
February
(http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...ur_ferry_axed/)

I know I'll miss it, especially as I live only 9 miles from the port of
Poole.

I understand that the high speed catamaran (aka The Vomit Comet) will still
be running from Poole over the summer, but that doesn't take caravans.

Richard
--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
Well, all good things must come to an end, and so must this
Old January 19th 10, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KAW

wrote:

[...]

Turn up and not go as far as Im concerned. Not happy to roll up at Calais
with a car full of kids to be told "Zere are no overcraft". Eventually was
last car to be loaded onto P&O ferry about 5 hours later.