www.caravanningamigos.co.uk

Old November 10th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
muzz

Default www.caravanningamigos.co.uk

Hi All.

I am the owner of a fairly new caravanning website and I am trying to
build up it's membership. If you are interested pay a visit we have
meets throughout the UK and Europe this year we visited Croatis for
our summer meet and it was that popular we are going there again next
year.

We have a forum full of information which is free to join.
We also have a section for trip reports where members report on their
trips away.

Any coments on how the site can be improved would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Muzz
Old November 10th 09, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message
,
muzz writes
Hi All.

I am the owner of a fairly new caravanning website and I am trying to
build up it's membership. If you are interested pay a visit we have
meets throughout the UK and Europe this year we visited Croatis for
our summer meet and it was that popular we are going there again next
year.

We have a forum full of information which is free to join.
We also have a section for trip reports where members report on their
trips away.

Any coments on how the site can be improved would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Muzz

We have a newsgroup called uk.rec.caravanning. It's been going for
years. It's full of information and is free to join. Just ask a question
and almost certainly someone will be able to answer it and offer advice.
Members can also report on their trips away if they wish and comment on
the sites they visit.

It also has the advantage, unlike forums of being unmoderated and free
from censorship,

The only weakness is that prats like you can come along and sue it to
advertise for your own gain whilst pretending to offer some form of
service.
--
hugh

Old November 10th 09, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 05:56:27 -0800 (PST), muzz
wrote:

I am the owner of a fairly new caravanning website

The advantage of this site is that nobody owns it that is what makes
it such a good forum.
Bill Lord

Old November 11th 09, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

You're being a bit tough on him Hugh

But carry on

I wonder if its the same person trying a differant guise

Dangling a differant bait and trying to harvest email addresses

DieSea

Old November 11th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"hugh" ] wrote in message
We have a newsgroup called uk.rec.caravanning. It's been going for years.
It's full of information and is free to join. Just ask a question and
almost certainly someone will be able to answer it and offer advice.
Members can also report on their trips away if they wish and comment on
the sites they visit.

It also has the advantage, unlike forums of being unmoderated and free
from censorship,

The only weakness is that prats like you can come along and sue it to
advertise for your own gain whilst pretending to offer some form of
service.
--
hugh

I suppose Hugh's reply also illustrates why usenet, certainly as far as
uk.rec.caravanning seems a spent force to me. Firstly the number posts and
topics have shrunk to tiny proportions, there is far more information out
there now on web forums as Bill will know as he is a regularly contributor
to several other groups. As Hugh says they are moderated so rather than
being dismissive in a constructive way peopel are just plain rude on usenet,
not all but a sizable number, that in itself keeps a lot of the expertise
from contributing here. All Muzz is asking you to do is have a look at his
forum end of story. Waiting for a hail of abuse now!

Old November 11th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 11 Nov, 10:39, "David Klyne" wrote:
"hugh" ] wrote in message

[...]

David

Hugh and Bill
Have you had a look at the site? Well I have - it looks quite useful,
chatty and informative. In addition, my experience of other fora
indicates that moderation moderation largely excludes spam and
'contributions' from naughty schoolboys and the like - just what has
sadly brought about the demise of this group and others from their
highs of a few years ago.
Old November 11th 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , DieSea
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message
,
[...]

Just noticed a rather unfortunate spill-chickenism in my last sentence
--
hugh

Old November 11th 09, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
Klyne writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

What I object to is that the people who seek to undermine usenet are
happy to use it to achieve their end.

As for abuse and nuisance I think it's a small price to pay for the
freedom that usenet brings but judicious use of my newsreader facilities
means I can kill authors or threads that I'm not interested in.

Additionally the articles come to me rather than me having to go and
seek out the articles.

Usenet is a bit like standing at the bar in a pub. Anyone can stick
their head into the conversation but if you don't like what they say you
can either pick a fight with them or just ignore them. But if you prefer
to have a nanny to look over you then by all means join a forum.

--
hugh

Old November 11th 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 02:48:40 -0800 (PST), Lunar475
wrote:

my experience of other fora
indicates that moderation moderation largely excludes spam and
'contributions' from naughty schoolboys and the like - just what has
sadly brought about the demise of this group and others from their
highs of a few years ago.

I have not seen any of the spam on here for years, it is so easy these
days to eliminate it even before it gets to the machine.
Bill Lord

Old November 11th 09, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

Default www.caravanningamigos.co.uk & Poland

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , David
Klyne writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Hugh, Bill and the others about Usenet. I found Usenet and this
group when I bought my first computer ten years ago. It has given me oodles
of information and much pleasure. Like Bill says the immediacy of the
postings and non moderation are the greatest advantages. I was a bit
nervous about the 'spam' when I started but now I just delete it. Bill did
explain some years ago how to 'kill' spam but I have never managed to master
it. It doesn't matter, I don't use pubs much these days but like most men
from a working class background I have been sworn at and cursed since
childhood so have learned to ignore it and try not to pick fights.
By the way, surely somebody has towed in Poland or do I have to go to one of
these moderated forums for some info :-)

Regards.
Dave.