Aerial/satellite dish?

Old January 17th 10, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Pinwhistle[_2_]

Default Aerial/satellite dish?

Hi,
I have a Status 530 digital aerial, fitted to our caravan, and was wondering
if it would be possible to get a satellite dish that would fit onto the same
stem instead of the status. Or if not at least make use of the same hole in
the roof?
I take it I'm correct in thinking that Freesat via a dish is the better
option?. I was simply thinking that it would do away with setting up the
tripod for the dish, which is what I currenlty do.
Thanks,
Steve.

Old January 17th 10, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"Jeremy Pinwhistle" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a Status 530 digital aerial, fitted to our caravan, and was
wondering if it would be possible to get a satellite dish that would fit
onto the same stem instead of the status. Or if not at least make use of
the same hole in the roof?
I take it I'm correct in thinking that Freesat via a dish is the better
option?. I was simply thinking that it would do away with setting up the
tripod for the dish, which is what I currenlty do.
Thanks,
Steve.

Steve

There are satellite dishes designed for installation on the roof of
caravans. Whether in the way that you suggest I am not sure. Somebody I know
has an automatic dome type dish on their caravan which they report works
well. However that is a fairly expensive option ranging from about 400
upwards and I think 1500 is not uncommon! We have gone down the route of a
dish and tripod as it gives more flexibility especially when pitched under
trees.

Old January 17th 10, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Pinwhistle[_2_]

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. Having thought about it a bit more, I think that
perhaps sticking with the tripod is the way to go. If we stay for just one
night, then terrestial would be ok anyway with the Status, either analogue
or digital, there's also the dvd.
If we stay in the same place for a few nights or longer, then it's no big
deal to put up the tripod and your points about trees is also pertinent.
Some wiring called for I think, power for the decoder and also the aerial
cable.
Regards,
Steve.

Old January 27th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:56:32 -0000, "Jeremy Pinwhistle"
wrote:

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. Having thought about it a bit more, I think that
perhaps sticking with the tripod is the way to go. If we stay for just one
night, then terrestial would be ok anyway with the Status, either analogue
or digital, there's also the dvd.
If we stay in the same place for a few nights or longer, then it's no big
deal to put up the tripod and your points about trees is also pertinent.
Some wiring called for I think, power for the decoder and also the aerial
cable.
Regards,
Steve.

I looked into buying a satellite dish for the roof of my Pageant but
the cost put me off so I bought a 99 dish and tripod with a decoder
and hard wired the system into the van with the decoder permanently
installed in an overhead locker with a flat screen TV suspended under
the lockers over the front windows. This means that I no longer have
to put up with masses of wires on show and setting the TV up every
time we are away. The more practice you get putting up the dish the
easier it is. I've got it down to ten minutes with a brilliant
picture.
Old January 29th 10, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Pinwhistle[_2_]

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
I've now setup a 20 dish on a tripod and hardwired it permanently into the
caravan. Setup in less than 10 minutes, with a great picture.
Cheers,
Steve.