New caravan 240v test required

Old January 26th 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren Bull

Default New caravan 240v test required

I have just completed an CITO 240v competence course which is needed when
the NCC require the completion of Periodic Inspection Reports (PIR) on the
240v system in a caravan.
The implications for my business is that any pre owned caravan sold to the
public require a PIR. There is not a caravan being produced that will not
fail a PIR, including all new caravans. Therefore, in theory I should carry
out the test and have the customer sign a form to say that they are happy to
except the caravan with the faults and recommendations in the PIR, most of
which I can not fix. I can imagine an issue there.
A PIR could take up to 3 hours to complete, this will double the cost of
servicing. The customer can opt out of this by signing a form which I think
will happen a lot.
I wanted to ask caravanners what they thought about this. and also to find
out if any one knows about this yet.
Darren

Old January 26th 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:29:39 -0000, "Darren Bull"
wrote:

I wanted to ask caravanners what they thought about this. and also to find
out if any one knows about this yet.

I am asked every year when it comes to servicing the van if I want
them to do the test and every year I sign on the dotted line to say
no. If as you say the van is going to automatically fail the test then
it seems that I am doing the right thing.
Bill Lord

Old January 26th 10, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 26 Jan, 11:29, "Darren Bull" wrote:
.. There is not a caravan being produced *that will not
fail a PIR, including all new caravans.

Can you expand please Darren?

Old January 26th 10, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Darren Bull" wrote in message
[...]

Explain all this please.

Old January 26th 10, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The gods have made us mad

wrote:

I wanted to ask caravanners what they thought about this. and also to
find
out if any one knows about this yet.

I am asked every year when it comes to servicing the van if I want
them to do the test and every year I sign on the dotted line to say
no. If as you say the van is going to automatically fail the test then
it seems that I am doing the right thing.
Bill Lord

This a different test - a 'PIR' test, being urged on caravanner's by those
toads at the NCC.

The frequency of the test in between one and (no more than) three years. As
the frequency depends on the use to which the caravan is put, and as the
tester will have no way of ascertaining the type of use, it will almost
certainly 'fail safe' to an annual requirement.

It involves disconnect all appliances, lights, charger, etc before a 500
volt flash test of the wiring. I requires more checks than you can shake a
stick at - such things as the gaps behind socket covers, and the size of air
vents for chargers - lest a child poke the fingers down them.

The test is supposed to take four, not three, hours - and to add to the
general fun, a test of the towing electrics is also about to be phased in.

The big questions are (a) is this test mandatory? - general opinion is that
it is only compulsory for hired caravans, and caravans for sale through the
trade. and (b) is this a precursor of caravan MOT testing? - probably yes.

Like every other intrusion into our lives it has its roots in the EU - who
have engaged he NCC to peddle it initially.

Naturally, the NCC are anxious to push the tests because it provides a
rather nice earner for their members - and, of course, being the
self-important windbags that they are, want to give it a quasi-legal status
that it (currently) does not enjoy.

Much discussion revolves around the news that the CC and other 'registered'
(whatever that means) will, apparently, soon demand up to date PIR
certificates before you can connect to a mains hook-up.

Naturally, in the real world, no-=one is going to take much notice of the
NCC - but the writing is certainly on the wall, and it looks likely to
become a legal requirement before long.

Even before it *is* such a requirement, there is a danger that insurance
companies might use the lack of a PIR certificate to wriggle out of claims
for fires caused by faulty electrics.

Bit by bit, caravanning becomes less attractive and more expensive.

Old January 26th 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Darren Bull" wrote in message
I have just completed an CITO 240v competence course which is needed when
the NCC require the completion of Periodic Inspection Reports (PIR) on the
240v system in a caravan.
The implications for my business is that any pre owned caravan sold to the
public require a PIR. There is not a caravan being produced that will not
fail a PIR, including all new caravans.

Are you saying ALL caravans including new fail?
Are you saying the NCC want us all that have and buy second hand caravans be
fixed in some way to be able to pass after this failure?
A new caravan has paperwork and stickers boasting how good it is because of
the NCC, well this shows if your correct the NCC and its paperwork to be a
waste of time then.

Old January 26th 10, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"Lunar475" wrote in message
On 26 Jan, 11:29, "Darren Bull" wrote:
.. There is not a caravan being produced that will not
fail a PIR, including all new caravans.

Can you expand please Darren?

Have a look here
http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/ima...%20Testing.pdf

Old January 26th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"David Klyne" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Lunar475" wrote in message
On 26 Jan, 11:29, "Darren Bull" wrote:
. There is not a caravan being produced that will not
fail a PIR, including all new caravans.

Can you expand please Darren?

Have a look here
http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/ima...%20Testing.pdf

David

And I wonder how much they'll charge for the certificate

Mate of mine's a plumber and they're Highwaymen for each of the certificates he
has to issue

DieSea

Old January 27th 10, 06:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

Why should a new caravan fail - it comes with a certificate saying that it
has passed!!!!

And I'll never pay for a PIR on any caravan I own. Fair enough to do them
on caravans which are coming in for resale (as a buyer I'd like to know that
the previous owner hasn't made some dodgy additions to the wiring).

Old January 27th 10, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_12_]

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:52:36 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

"Lunar475" wrote in message
On 26 Jan, 11:29, "Darren Bull" wrote:
. There is not a caravan being produced that will not
fail a PIR, including all new caravans.

Can you expand please Darren?

Have a look here
http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/ima...%20Testing.pdf

David

My local dealer says they are following NCC Best practice guidelines and they
will be issuing certificates to used vans as they sell them. Nothing
apparently has changed between 16th and 17th Edition regs with respect to
tourers.

Dave