Satelite dish direction

Old January 28th 10, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ganda

Default Satelite dish direction

Being originally a Yorkshire man, now living in the Midlands, I do like the
word cheap.

I have got an old sky dish of my daughters house, in good nick really, also
getting a box of my son, he's getting hd. Going to use my card I use in the
box at home.
Going to mount it on the tripod that usually mounts the twirly thing for the
washing. It should all work.

This is the question:

If I use the signal strength meter in the sky box options menu, will I be
able to find a good signal or will it be searching for a needle in a
haystack. Anybody had any experience. Hoping not to have to buy one of those
meters that tell you where the satelite is.

Right time to walk the whippet, now wheres me flat cap

thanks in advance

Old January 28th 10, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:33:08 -0000, "ganda"
wrote:

Being originally a Yorkshire man, now living in the Midlands, I do like the
word cheap.

I have got an old sky dish of my daughters house, in good nick really, also
getting a box of my son, he's getting hd. Going to use my card I use in the
box at home.
Going to mount it on the tripod that usually mounts the twirly thing for the
washing. It should all work.

This is the question:

If I use the signal strength meter in the sky box options menu, will I be
able to find a good signal or will it be searching for a needle in a
haystack. Anybody had any experience. Hoping not to have to buy one of those
meters that tell you where the satelite is.

Right time to walk the whippet, now wheres me flat cap

thanks in advance

Yes you should be able to get a signal using this ....but two things
the first is to wait a few seconds for the signal strength to show
before moving the dish to another setting (will take you ages) and
secondly make sure you can see the TV from outside when setting up the
dish. Have a look on ebay for a signal strength meter (cheap)
Old January 28th 10, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

[...]

Or try this link

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...atchallpartial

HTH

DieSea

Old January 29th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ganda

wrote:

[...]

Just had a look on Ebay, 10!!....... nearly bit the end of me pipe off!!!
No in all honestey that's not bad Ive seen them 30 and upwards. Thanks for
the advice

Old January 29th 10, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ganda

wrote:

[...]

Thanks again, I honestly thought there were dearer then that

Old January 29th 10, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"DieSea" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Come on sunshine - you're talking to a Tyke here.

Have a look at the Aldi and Lidl sites - when they have sat on
offer the satfinder is ususally about a fiver or less.

uk.aldi.com
www.lidl.co.uk

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 29th 10, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Woody" wrote in message
news

Come on sunshine - you're talking to a Tyke here.

Have a look at the Aldi and Lidl sites - when they have sat on offer the
satfinder is ususally about a fiver or less.

uk.aldi.com
www.lidl.co.uk

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

I know how tight fisted tikes are

I've been married to wun for nigh on 50 years

The trouble with **THOSE** offers are that they usually only have a couple
available

If you don't start queuing the night before they're gone within the first two
people through the door

DieSea

Old January 29th 10, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 28 Jan, 22:33, "ganda" wrote:
Being originally a Yorkshire man, now living in the Midlands, I do like the
word cheap.

I have got an old sky dish of my daughters house, in good nick really, also
getting a box of my son, he's getting hd. Going to use my card I use in the
box at home.
Going to mount it on the tripod that usually mounts the twirly thing for the
washing. It should all work.

This is the question:

If I use the signal strength meter in the sky box options menu, will I be
able to find a good signal or will it be searching for a needle in a
haystack. Anybody had any experience. Hoping not to have to buy one of those
meters that tell you where the satelite is.

Right time to walk the whippet, now wheres me flat cap

thanks in advance

Have a look at ;www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk
A very useful site.
WRT your Sky card, unless you get it "married" to the box you are
using you will get the central BBC channels and the London ITV
although you can select the regional ones from the EPG.
Don't rely on the signal strength meter on the Sky box, it's too
delayed to get reliable results. A meter is the way to go, even a
cheap one. A word to the wise, when using a meter that has an audible
tone keep it turned as low as possible. It's more efficient that way
and avoids irritating the neighbours!

I use a Sky + box with a Sky dish and quad LNB so that I can get all
the football and record the rest for my wife, or more usually, the
other way round!

I have the dish mounted on a Purpleline rotary clothes drier quadpod
that is pegged to the ground for extra stability.

Fred
Old January 29th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

ganda was thinking very hard :
If I use the signal strength meter in the sky box options menu, will I be
able to find a good signal or will it be searching for a needle in a
haystack.

Needle in the haystack!

There are so many satellites up there and despite this you will be
lucky to find even one by just waving the dish about.

Anybody had any experience. Hoping not to have to buy one of those
meters that tell you where the satelite is.

Start by beg, borrowing or stealing a compass. Then get the dish
pointing to 19.2 deg east of south, but you will need to make allowance
for your local magnetic variance - the difference between magnetic
north and true north, at your location.

Get the heading correct and moving it (very) slowly up and down you may
then be able to lock onto the signal. As in move it a little way, wait
for the box to catch up and display a signal strength, then try again.
A proper in-line signal meter responds instantly. You will also need to
be able to see the TV, whilst trying to set it up, if you lack a proper
meter.

Having said the above, when I bought my first system - which had a 1m
dish, I just bolted it together, plonked it on the ground pointing
roughly south and it was spot on Astra analogue.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old January 29th 10, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message . uk...
[...]

.....which is why you won't see anything now because the Astra
cluster that broadcasts Sky and Freesat is a 28.2E!!