Problems with towing electrics

Old January 31st 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

Default Problems with towing electrics

Puzzling one this.

Father in law has a Swift Challenger which is about 2 years old. All lights
worked ok with his Nissan X-trail. Got a new Volvo XC70 and had a Brink
towbar and twin electrics fitted. It seems to have worked ok for 40 mile
trip to site but when rehooked up the rear brake lights aren't working. I've
tried with a miltimeter on car hookup and when brakes applied I get 13v
supply. That would seem to indicate that electrics are OK. As a test I
connected my car to the van and it also worked fine off my car. As the Volvo
was due a service he also asked if they could check the hookup and they used
a trailer board and it tested OK as well. So, the car seems to be working
OK. The van works OK off my car......puzzled!

Any ideas?

TIA. Ian

Old January 31st 10, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Ian" wrote in message
o.uk...
Puzzling one this.

Father in law has a Swift Challenger which is about 2 years
old. All lights worked ok with his Nissan X-trail. Got a new
Volvo XC70 and had a Brink towbar and twin electrics fitted. It
seems to have worked ok for 40 mile trip to site but when
rehooked up the rear brake lights aren't working. I've tried
with a miltimeter on car hookup and when brakes applied I get
13v supply. That would seem to indicate that electrics are OK.
As a test I connected my car to the van and it also worked fine
off my car. As the Volvo was due a service he also asked if
they could check the hookup and they used a trailer board and
it tested OK as well. So, the car seems to be working OK. The
van works OK off my car......puzzled!

Any ideas?

TIA. Ian

Modern vehicles often have lamp sensing sensing. Try hooking up
when the Volvo is quiescent. If you hook up when the car is
running the sensing my not see the extra lamps.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com