Insurance and security

Old March 1st 10, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Default Insurance and security

When renewing my Caravan Club insurance, I notice the various
discounts available for additional security measures. Has anybody
fitted any of these simply on economic grounds, in that the
payback is quick enough on premium reductions?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old March 1st 10, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
When renewing my Caravan Club insurance, I notice the various
discounts available for additional security measures. Has anybody
fitted any of these simply on economic grounds, in that the
payback is quick enough on premium reductions?

Well I have a wheel clamp and hitch lock which I think is a requirement
these days by all insurers.
My caravan came fitted with an intruder/movement alarm, I think had it not I
would have added a CHEAP intruder alarm. Not sure how many people do this
as routine nice to find out.

OK on top of those what had you in mind with the CC and what savings
achieved?

Old March 1st 10, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
When renewing my Caravan Club insurance, I notice the various
discounts available for additional security measures. Has anybody
fitted any of these simply on economic grounds, in that the
payback is quick enough on premium reductions?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

When "We" bought a Twin axle last year it came with alarms fitted

I was VERY Surprised in the cost of insurance , it cam came out cheaper than the
smaller and older van we had traded

They tried to get me to do a towing course but the savings would have taken a long
time to re-coup

AND i was taught to drive "A Queen Mary (60 feet long )" 50 years back

Now that is showing my age ;-))

DieSea

Old March 1st 10, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

David wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
When renewing my Caravan Club insurance, I notice the various
discounts available for additional security measures. Has anybody
fitted any of these simply on economic grounds, in that the
payback is quick enough on premium reductions?

Well I have a wheel clamp and hitch lock which I think is a requirement
these days by all insurers.
My caravan came fitted with an intruder/movement alarm, I think had it not I
would have added a CHEAP intruder alarm. Not sure how many people do this
as routine nice to find out.

OK on top of those what had you in mind with the CC and what savings
achieved?

From
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insuran...avan-insurance

10% discount for corner-steady or tilt alarm
10% discount for an approved tracking device
10% discount for an AL-KO Secure Wheel Lock
10% discount for an Al-KO ATC or BPW iDC trailer control system

Chris

Old March 1st 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Chris J Dixon wrote:
David wrote:

[...]

My premium is already less than the minimum transaction charge: I'd gain
nothing from discounts!
Old March 1st 10, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, DieSea
wrote:

AND i was taught to drive "A Queen Mary (60 feet long )" 50 years
back

Yes, I remember them. Didn't the RAF use them for transporting parts of
aeroplanes? The ones I remember had an articulated semi trailer which was a
sort of framework rather than solid sides, and not very tall.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 1st 10, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:44:35 -0000, "David"
wrote:

Well I have a wheel clamp and hitch lock which I think is a requirement
these days by all insurers.

Not by CC insurance, they still ask for 1 of hitch lock, wheel clamp
or alarm fitted or set within 8 hours of the caravan being unhitched
from the car.
Bill Lord

Old March 1st 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

AND i was taught to drive "A Queen Mary (60 feet long )" 50 years
back

Yes, I remember them. Didn't the RAF use them for transporting parts of
aeroplanes? The ones I remember had an articulated semi trailer which was a sort
of framework rather than solid sides, and not very tall.
--
Cheers,
Roger
_______
checked.

That's the one !!

DieSea

Old March 1st 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
David wrote:

. ..

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insuran...ce/touring-car
avan-insurance

10% discount for corner-steady or tilt alarm
10% discount for an approved tracking device
10% discount for an AL-KO Secure Wheel Lock
10% discount for an Al-KO ATC or BPW iDC trailer control system

Chris

Well the ALko secure wheel lock kit is about 300 assuming the back
plate is already fitted so do the maths.
Tracking devices are in theory very good = unless it's the pikies who
nick your van, in which case you are better off not finding it.
The corner steady or tilt alarms are normally an integral part of your
intruder alarm system, or an optional add on

So it's a matte of looking at your own van and alarm system and your own
insurance costs and doing the calculation. I suspect the payback is
somewhere approaching 10 years.

--
hugh

Old March 1st 10, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil[_3_]

Chris J Dixon wrote:
David wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris

Members using other services also get a discount (5%?) but I think the
maximum is 35% of discounts anyway, so the potential saving is limited
and so therefore is the payback?

Neil