European Breakdown/Recovery Services

Old March 6th 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default European Breakdown/Recovery Services

I am looking at taking out a European Breakdown/Recovery Services policy. I
have looked at www.moneysavingexpert.com and done a couple of comparisons
checks on MoneySupermarket.com, GoCompare.com and the merkat one.

Most have a limit of 7 metres (23 feet) for the caravan. My van is 7.194M
(23'7") .

My current breakdown cover included with my bank account covers towing a
caravan but, again, with this 7M limit so to ensure I have no problems if
bad luck should strike I am looking round.

However, I have found one First Call GB Ltd who are offering a 12-month
policy with European cover for vans up to 25 foot (7.5 metres). At 76.95
it seems like a good deal. By the way, the maximum period in Europe must
not exceed 28 days per trip. Most of the short trip ones with Caravan Club,
AA (extending my current cover) etc are more than 76.95 for the 3-week
duration of my intended trip or have this 7M limit.

Has anyone:-
1. had any experience of First Call GB Ltd, good or bad?
2. found and would recommend any alternatives for a van of 7.194M?

By the way, if your van is 7M are you covered?

Thanks.

--

Jim

Old March 6th 10, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
homerh[_2_]

the cc club do cover vans over 7 metres and are covered by green flag as the
agents for the club. do you really want to find out how good or bad they
could be when you are away from home. i would use the cc breakdown cover.
homer.

Old March 6th 10, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Jim wrote:
[...]

The first thing that you need to determine is whether you, the caravan
manufacturer, the insurer and the relevant lawmaker(s) are all defining
'length' in the same way.

There is a 7m trailer body length limitation for tow vehicles under
3500kg MGW in the UK (it may well have a European source) and this is
why this figure keeps popping up.
Old March 6th 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. Yes, I agree that with C Club may be slightly better cover but at
96 for the 22-day cover I want it is a bit steep. OK, but that is why I
asked a if anyone had any experiences with First Call GB Ltd who are
offering a 12-month policy with European cover for vans up to 25 foot (7.5
metres) and at 76.95 per year with a maximum period in Europe of 28 days
per trip it is worthy of investigation. Also, it covers me in the UK for
the rest of the year. As I am now retired I must seek economic options that
are value for money.

--

Jim

Old March 6th 10, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk schreef in bericht
. uk...

(it may well have a European source)

It does not. Trailers should not exceed 12 m and the combination
should not exceed 18,75 m. Width 2.55 m.

I have been reading along since last may, before going to the UK on
holiday.
It's interesting to see how things are sometimes approached quite
differently.

Regards, Gerard ( Amsterdam - Netherlands )

Old March 7th 10, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Dougal DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in news:3
:

The first thing that you need to determine is whether you, the caravan
manufacturer, the insurer and the relevant lawmaker(s) are all defining
'length' in the same way.

There is a 7m trailer body length limitation for tow vehicles under
3500kg MGW in the UK (it may well have a European source) and this is
why this figure keeps popping up.

I was going to make the same point. In UK regulations, the length of a
trailer excludes the drawbar and coupling. FWIW, this is how you can have
25ft 5th wheelers that are still legally under 7m long as most of the
bedroom is over the hitch and hence doesn't count. So in your shoes, my
first call would be to talk with my bank's insurance people and ask them
whether their definition of caravan length has the same meaning as in the
UK regulations (i.e. the length excluding coupling and drawbar). If it
does then any caravan that's legal behind a UK car will be covered and
you don't need to spend money elsewhere. That said, I'd want them to
confirm what they tell you in writing!

Of course, if they actually mean shipping length then you do need to look
elsewhere.

HTH,

Geoff
Old March 7th 10, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A Plumber

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
09.145...
[...]

I'm with green flag, via saga insurance, includes 12 months europian cover,
and they were very very good when
I needed their services, breaking down, whilst tugging my van through
France.

Lofty

Old March 7th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

A Plumber wrote:
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
09.145...
Dougal DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in news:3
:

The first thing that you need to determine is whether you, the caravan
manufacturer, the insurer and the relevant lawmaker(s) are all defining
'length' in the same way.

There is a 7m trailer body length limitation for tow vehicles under
3500kg MGW in the UK (it may well have a European source) and this is
why this figure keeps popping up.

I was going to make the same point. In UK regulations, the length of a
trailer excludes the drawbar and coupling. FWIW, this is how you can have
25ft 5th wheelers that are still legally under 7m long as most of the
bedroom is over the hitch and hence doesn't count.

I think that's stretching the interpretation of the regulations a bit
far! Articulated vehicles/trailers are defined separately from normal
trailed trailers and have their own rules and measurements. The effect,
however, is much as you describe.

Old March 8th 10, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Dougal DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in
. uk:

I think that's stretching the interpretation of the regulations a bit
far! Articulated vehicles/trailers are defined separately from normal
trailed trailers and have their own rules and measurements. The effect,
however, is much as you describe.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, my understanding is that the regs
make no specific mention of fifth-wheel trailers in respect of towing
vehicles in category B; only for those in category C. If so, fivers behind
category B pickups are governed by the "no longer than 7m excluding drawbar
nor wider than 2.3m" rule, in which case everything forward of the "step"
is counted as drawbar. Pragmatically, much of the "drawbar" is over the bed
of the pickup anyway, so a 25ft fiver probably has the same order of
overall outfit length as a 7m conventional caravan. That said, recovering a
fifth-wheeler might present a headache!

Geoff
Old March 8th 10, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Geoff Lane said the following on 08/03/2010 09:11:
[...]

The other restriction for recovery is that it must fit a 50mm tow ball!

Roy