Travelling in Holland

Old March 8th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

Default Travelling in Holland

We are off to a C&CC rally at Delft next month and am wondering if anyone
knows of any particular traffic/road/towing legislation that we should be
aware of? Cheers, Harry

Old March 8th 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
We are off to a C&CC rally at Delft next month and am wondering if anyone
knows of any particular traffic/road/towing legislation that we should be
aware of? Cheers, Harry

Harry,
Very nice site at Delft. Some pitches are a bit tight but we managed.
Close to town and if you have bikes there are plenty of cycle paths.
Everything you need to know about traffic legislation is in the CC Caravan
Europe Volume 2. As far as I can recall the only real difference to the UK
is a speed limit of 80 kph when towing even on motorways.
We really enjoyed Delft and will almost certainly return.
Regards Dave.

Old March 8th 10, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
We are off to a C&CC rally at Delft next month and am wondering if anyone
knows of any particular traffic/road/towing legislation that we should be
aware of? Cheers, Harry

Harry,
Very nice site at Delft. Some pitches are a bit tight but we managed.
Close to town and if you have bikes there are plenty of cycle paths.
Everything you need to know about traffic legislation is in the CC Caravan
Europe Volume 2. As far as I can recall the only real difference to the
UK is a speed limit of 80 kph when towing even on motorways.
We really enjoyed Delft and will almost certainly return.
Regards Dave.

Sorry Harry. Just spotted you said C & CC. I don't know what advice their
guides offer but probably much the same.
Regards Dave.

Old March 8th 10, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
We are off to a C&CC rally at Delft next month and am wondering if anyone
knows of any particular traffic/road/towing legislation that we should be
aware of? Cheers, Harry

Harry

If you have not been to Holland before you will find, especially around
Delft, traffic densities to be similar to the UK. Have heard that Dutch
police are quite strict on towing mirrors. Having said that we have been to
Holland several times not had any bother. Dave mentioned the speed limit of
80kms, I think you will find that it has recently been raised to 90kms on
motorways and motorway style roads unless otherwise indicated. In Delft
there is a wonderful stand that sells all manner of fried fish, I think its
next to the tourist office. Are you planning to go to the Keukenhof Gardens?
We went a couple of years ago and it was superb and its quite close to
Delft. We were there in early May so given the very cold winter this year I
am not sure what it will be like in April but I am sure the staff at the
site will be able to provide up to date info.

Old March 9th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"Harry Pleavin" schreef in bericht
We are off to a C&CC rally at Delft next month and am wondering if
anyone knows of any particular traffic/road/towing legislation that
we should be aware of? Cheers, Harry

There are new speed limits for towing in effect:
- Motorways 90 kph
- Dual carriageway 90 kph
- Outside town limits but none of the above 80 kph
- Towns 50 kph

Tolerance: in towns 3 kph, outside towns: 3 %. Mobile speeding teams
are in service 24/7 on all roads.

Special word of warning at road constructions: observe speedlimit at
all times, even when no workers in sight.

Hard shoulder for break down and emergencies only. An empty tank is
not a break down.
Map reading and a quick leak are not considered emergencies. Fine:
150,- euro!!

Overweight: 5% tolerance
Noseweight 10 % tolerance

Towing mirrors: it is unlikely that a policeman will check the aria
you can actually see,
but having no towing mirrors at all is asking for it.

Break-away cable should be on it's own lug, not just over the neck of
the towball.

Popular reason for fines:
- HOLDING mobile phones ( you do not actually have to make a call) :
150,-
- Seatbelts: 90,- (each!)

Still, welcome to Holland :-)

Gerard ( reading along from the vicinity of Amsterdam )

Old March 9th 10, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

Thank you all. We don't know exactly where we will get to or what we will
see except, hopefully, the bulb fields in bloom. And yes, the weather there
has been bad so fingers are crossed. I will watch the speed limits and, as I
never tow without mirrors, that won't be an issue Surprised about the
break-away cable though as when I was at the Alko factory they told me to
loop it over and to never use the lug. Still, if that's what the law says
that's what I will do. Thanks again, Harry

Old March 9th 10, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Harry Pleavin
writes
Surprised about the
break-away cable though as when I was at the Alko factory they told me to
loop it over and to never use the lug. Still, if that's what the law says
that's what I will do.

Snip

The following might prove useful

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/2...-of-Breakaway-
Cables.pdf
--
hugh

Old March 9th 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
We are off to a C&CC rally at Delft next month and am wondering
if anyone knows of any particular traffic/road/towing
legislation that we should be aware of? Cheers, Harry

The one main thing to be wary of is attachment of your breakaway
cable. It must be attached to the towbar, not just looped around
the ball. If your towbar doesn't have a pigtail onto which it can
be fastened (as most European bars have) then either fasten the
hook into a spare bolt-hole, of if the bar has plates either side
of the neck then loop it through and onto itself. I understand
that it is quite common for the Dutch police to sit outside
Europort and stop British motorists as they exit with an
on-the-spot fine.

Delft is well known over here but it is actually quite a small
town. The famous pottery is down a backstreet and is hardly
signed anywhere. You'll know about it when you get there and see
the prices though!

If you fancy a trip out - and the Dutch motorway system takes
some beating - visit Dordrecht SE of Rotterdam (19m) - a quite
beautiful town - and even moreso go look at the windmills at
Kinderdijk (15m), a Unesco World Heritage site, in
Nieuw-Lekkerland SSE of Rotterdam. Amsterdam (33m) is - shall we
say 'interesting' - but compared with when we spent out honeymoon
there in 1975 is has gone distinctly downhill - we were last
there three years ago. Utrecht (32m) is rather nicer and more
laid back. The Hague is all glass and under and overpasses. The
old motor racing circuit at Zandvoort (25m) is a very popular
seaside trip for Amsterdamers.

One thing you won't find in Dutch-land is large supermarkets of
the type found here and in France. Most shopping is done at small
local supermarkets and local shops. You will find plenty of Lidl
which are very good (probably better than over here) but Aldi in
Holland is rather down-market and a bit scruffy in our
experience.

You will be surprised how much English you hear spoken -
especially if it is at all technical - when English words are
freely used in the middle of Dutch! A very large percentage of
Dutch people speak English, mostly better than we do, and age is
no guide. Older people often speak it more than younger,
particularly shop assistants.

Enjoy.......

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 10th 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"Woody" schreef in bericht

I understand that it is quite common for the Dutch police to sit
outside Europort and stop British motorists as they exit with an
on-the-spot fine.

A Dutch welcome! :-)

If you fancy a trip out

http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

One thing you won't find in Dutch-land is large supermarkets of the
type found here and in France.

The next best thing is this:

Albert Heijn XL
Bogaardplein 22, 2284 DM, Rijswijk (closest to Delft )

You will be surprised how much English you hear spoken.

- English is a mandatory second language from age 10.
- Most series and films are in English and everything foreign is
subtitled, which makes for easy and frequent practice.

Gerard ( reading along from the vicinity of Amsterdam )

Old March 10th 10, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"David Klyne" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

David

I am sure one of our Dutch friends will soon correct me but the fried fish
that David is talking about is called what sounds like ‘kibbling’ It is
served from a stall on a cardboard dish with mayonnaise and is eaten
standing up at raised tables. It is delicious and a lighter meal than fish
and chips, so if you have it in the middle of the day you can still enjoy
your evening meal. To me the evening meal when caravanning is sacrosanct.
There again I think the evening meal at home is also extremely important.
On further consideration I like to make every meal an occasion but you may
think differently. Anyhow the ‘kibbling’ that I had in Delft was memorable
and would be repeated when we return.

Regards

Dave