Power monitors

Old March 14th 10, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_3_]

Default Power monitors

Does anyone know if the power monitors that are designed for use in your
home, like Owl or the efergy monitors, can be adapted to measure the current
being used in your van. these units have alarms on them which sound when you
hit a certain point like 3/4/5/6 KWH.

Regards

Lee

Old March 14th 10, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the power monitors that are designed for use in your
home, like Owl or the efergy monitors, can be adapted to measure the
current being used in your van. these units have alarms on them which
sound when you hit a certain point like 3/4/5/6 KWH.

Never known anyone have one in home never mind a caravan, personally I like
to have my lights in the home on and my heating on and be warm etc.
To those who want to save money just turn lights off or heating down or off
and have the double saving of not paying for a unit to measure.

Any way that's my thought.

Your question then, how is your home one connected?
Would think you would do same in the caravan for the 240V mains use.
Again strange to me as when I have been on hook-up it was in the nightly
fee, so how much used did not effect me.
Using your 12V system doubt they will be designed for that.

Old March 14th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

REDSKINS submitted this idea :
Does anyone know if the power monitors that are designed for use in your
home, like Owl or the efergy monitors, can be adapted to measure the current
being used in your van. these units have alarms on them which sound when you
hit a certain point like 3/4/5/6 KWH.

No reason at all why you could not use one on the 240v supply, just put
the clamp around either the live or neutral (just one or the other)
which goes into distribution board. They defiantly will not work on the
12v at all.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 14th 10, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, REDSKINS
wrote:
Does anyone know if the power monitors that are designed for use in
your home, like Owl or the efergy monitors, can be adapted to measure
the current being used in your van. these units have alarms on them
which sound when you hit a certain point like 3/4/5/6 KWH.

Regards

Lee

You'll know when you're using too much power on a site hookup - 'cos it will
trip and everything will go off until you go outside (usually in the dark
and wet) and reset it! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 14th 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

"Harry Bloomfield" schreef in
bericht . uk...
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

"You see them here, you see them there....."

73 - Gerard- PE1OUD

As for the power monitor:
There is a gadget that will not permit you to use anymore current than
a set value: like 4 amps.

http://www.camparo.nl/ (Click on the Union Jack for English )

Gerard (reading along from the vicinity of Amsterdam )

Old March 14th 10, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"Gerard" wrote in message
"Harry Bloomfield" schreef in bericht
. uk...
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

"You see them here, you see them there....."

73 - Gerard- PE1OUD

As for the power monitor:
There is a gadget that will not permit you to use anymore current than a
set value: like 4 amps.

http://www.camparo.nl/ (Click on the Union Jack for English )

Gerard

You would have to save a lot of electic to cover the cost of 120!

Old March 15th 10, 05:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerard

HI, David

"David Klyne" schreef in bericht
o.uk...

You would have to save a lot of electic to cover the cost of 120!

There is another way to look at it, David.

It's the ease of use that counts. BTW, not having to buy special
camping gear saves the money right away.

Gerard.

Old March 15th 10, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_3_]

Thanks for your responses.

The one I have here at home is clamped around the live feed in the meter
cupboard, I agree i don't sit in the dark and or cold just to save power,
If you need it you use it, however as One Reply states going over your 10
amps and you have to go out and reset the trip! hence why I was asking if
one could be used to measure the power on the van and have an alarm set to
trigger at around 9 amp or whatever the eq in Kwh is.

The clamp used on the meter I have is designed for the the thick cable about
1 cm round, how could I get around utilising this on a thin cored cable on
the van?

Lee

Old March 15th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

REDSKINS formulated on Monday :
The clamp used on the meter I have is designed for the the thick cable about
1 cm round, how could I get around utilising this on a thin cored cable on
the van?

That will make little if any difference.

Old March 15th 10, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

wrote:
[...]

You don't want to be thinking about kWH. That's a measure of the
accumulated consumption/cost and of no relevance to the instantaneous
current (Amp) or power (kW) being taken.

9 Amp is about 2kW at 230V in round numbers.

The OWL (CM 119) does have a cost alarm but I've never tried playing
with it. I don't know if it emits a sound or whatever. It won't do what
I think you want i.e. provide an alarm when exceeding a particular level
of instantaneous consumption. It does, however, give you a continuous
visual display of the amount of power being used which may be all that
you need anyway.

I'd better qualify 'continuous display'. The display updates at frequent
regular intervals: it does not react immediately to a load change.