regulators

Old March 15th 10, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KAW

Default regulators

Has anyone had any sense out of Truma re the bulkhead mounted regulators. I
have one of these on a Bailey Pageant new Sept 2008 and it is now only
letting through a very limited supply of gas (enough to run one burner on
the hob but no more). 2 dealers have said that the problem is probably in
the regulator although they say that if contaminated the gas supply usually
shuts off completely. Bailey gave the same advice and stated that the
warranty on the regulator is only for 1 year.
I contacted Truma who say that this is a common problem caused by
contamination by oil in the gas supply but the regulators are fine when they
leave the factory so it's not their problem. They refuse to extend the
warranty.
I know that this problem has been around for some time and the Truma website
claims that the latest models with an elbow joint overcome the problem. My
regulator is of the new type.
Having used gas with cyliner mounted regulators for 30+ years without any
problem it seems ridiculous that a supposed improvement on that system
causes such problems. Surely Truma and the gas suppliers (calor propane in
my case) should have got it sorted before marketing what to my mind is a
defective product.

Old March 15th 10, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , KAW
writes
[...]

It's very frustrating when something which is supposed to be n
improvement has an intrinsic flaw. IIRC the avoidance is to ensure the
regulator input is always higher then the top of the gas bottle so the
oily impurities (heavy ends) which are present in small quantities in
bottled propane don't end up in the regulator.

Under the old system with the regulator mounted on top of the bottle
this couldn't happen. The new design was yet another example of
protecting us from a problem which didn't really exist.

But as you have discovered it's the customer who is left to pick up the
tab. I've switched to BP whose 6kg cylinders are shorter than Calor.
--
hugh

Old March 15th 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

KAW wrote:
[...]

Following an experience last year I'm not convinced that this problem
affects only the new regulators.

For the first time in over 27 years my Carver heater stopped working as
the result of a lack of gas supply. I found that the inlet qauze filter,
which I had inspected earlier in the year and found clear, was now
clogged with a reddish oily liquid.

What's different? - other than routine gas bottle replacement the only
change between the inspection and the failure has been to replace the
inlet low pressure gas hose from the regulator to the system. Has the
specification of the rubber in (some) of these hoses changed? Is there
now more high boiling point 'contamination' in the liquid gas?
Old March 15th 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dougal
writes
KAW wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't be. Quality of domestic and commercial propane is covered by a
BS specification. However if you have refillable cylinders and fill up
with Autogas then this gas is NOT covered by any specification.
--
hugh

Old March 15th 10, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

hugh wrote:
In message , Dougal
writes
KAW wrote:
[...]

It's the normal Calor product.

The liquids wouldn't be expected to pass the cylinder-mounted regulator
anyway and it's shown no tendency to do so in the past. Which leaves the
leaching of the plasticisers from the new hose.

(For those interested, we had a thread on this subject back in October -
"Calor propane")
Old March 15th 10, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dougal
writes
hugh wrote:
In message , Dougal
writes
KAW wrote:
[...]

Sorry I misread your post. Didn't realise you were referring to cylinder
mounted regulator.
Was your new hose graded as suitable for LPG?
--
hugh

Old March 16th 10, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

hugh wrote:
In message , Dougal
writes
hugh wrote:
In message , Dougal
writes
KAW wrote:
[...]

Oh yes! All supposedly to spec. etc..

It's pretty surprising just how much variance there is between different
manufacturer's offerings for hose meeting the same standard - assuming
that they are 'honestly' marked.

I've got two samples - one nicely finished and quite supple and the
other a bit rough looking and much stiffer. I used the nicer one, of course.

Has anyone got access to a copy of British Standard 3212:1991? I'd be
interested in knowing which companies use manufacturer codes GHL and EG.
Otherwise, it's a trip to the library.