cleaning waste pipes

Old March 15th 10, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
homerh[_2_]

Default cleaning waste pipes

Can anybody tell us the best way to clean out the waste pipes as the water
flows away very slowly. Would it be ok to use Mr muscle or would this be to
powerful for the stupid ridged pipes that they fit to vans.

Old March 15th 10, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

After serious thinking homerh wrote :
Can anybody tell us the best way to clean out the waste pipes as the water
flows away very slowly. Would it be ok to use Mr muscle or would this be to
powerful for the stupid ridged pipes that they fit to vans.

The best way is to replace the ridged pipes with rigid pipes as used in
the home, but you need to plan the route of the pipes to get the slope
down with the caravan set up perfectly level.

We had some trouble with ours being slow to drain and blowing back into
the shower. I replaced most of it with rigid and devised a gadget to
get the van precisely level.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 16th 10, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris[_11_]

On 15/03/2010 22:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

We had some trouble with ours being slow to drain and blowing back into
the shower. I replaced most of it with rigid and devised a gadget to get
the van precisely level.

What is this device Harry?

Chris
Old March 16th 10, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

After serious thinking Chris wrote :
On 15/03/2010 22:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

We had some trouble with ours being slow to drain and blowing back into
the shower. I replaced most of it with rigid and devised a gadget to get
the van precisely level.

What is this device Harry?

It is ridiculously simple and surprisingly effective. I published the
details on here last year, with a link to an how to built one (could
someone remind me of the URL?).

It was basically a bit of plastic drain pipe, with four sharped tipped
brass bolts fixed equally around the perimeter. A brass plum bob was
suspended down the centre, from a wire, so that it had the tiniest of
gaps between it and the tips of the bolts. Plum-bob and bolt contacts
then lit up four LED's. Which ones lit up, showed you which side and
end was to high. Rather than lighting up solidly, the bob tended to
bounce on the bolt points as you got near the point of being level. So
you get the opposite pairs of LED's to light up for similar periods.

The LED display hangs in the caravan front window, so you can watch it
in your mirror as you pull the caravan up a levelling ramp. Wish I had
built one years ago, it makes it so ridiculously quick and easy to get
it spot on, when compared to a spirit level - plus it works in full
sunlight or pitch dark.

Old March 16th 10, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
It is ridiculously simple and surprisingly effective. I published the details
on here last year, with a link to an how to built one (could someone remind
me of the URL?).

Got it - Write up, circuit etc. here...

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara.../LevelTool.htm

Old March 17th 10, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:39:10 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
It is ridiculously simple and surprisingly effective. I published the details
on here last year, with a link to an how to built one (could someone remind
me of the URL?).

Got it - Write up, circuit etc. here...

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara.../LevelTool.htm

Harry, you beat me to posting the link.

--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
Get me some coffee and then ask me in ten minutes.
Old March 17th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Richard Cole has brought this to us :
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
It is ridiculously simple and surprisingly effective. I published the
details on here last year, with a link to an how to built one (could
someone remind me of the URL?).

Got it - Write up, circuit etc. here...

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara.../LevelTool.htm

Harry, you beat me to posting the link.

Sorry, I am not usually that sharp lol

Old March 17th 10, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris[_11_]

On 16/03/2010 21:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
It is ridiculously simple and surprisingly effective. I published the
details on here last year, with a link to an how to built one (could
someone remind me of the URL?).

Got it - Write up, circuit etc. here...

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara.../LevelTool.htm

Thanks for that Harry. Interesting and simple as you say, but then
aren't all good ideas like that. There was me thinking it was going to
be some coloured liquid in a clear bottle. Looks like I maybe getting
the hacksaw and soldering iron out soon!

Chris

Old March 17th 10, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Chris was thinking very hard :
On 16/03/2010 21:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
It is ridiculously simple and surprisingly effective. I published the
details on here last year, with a link to an how to built one (could
someone remind me of the URL?).

Got it - Write up, circuit etc. here...

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/cara.../LevelTool.htm

Thanks for that Harry. Interesting and simple as you say, but then aren't all
good ideas like that. There was me thinking it was going to be some coloured
liquid in a clear bottle. Looks like I maybe getting the hacksaw and
soldering iron out soon!

Chris

The only tricky bit, is getting a tiny hole perfectly centred down the
bob weight. Fail to get that right, the weight will not hang vertically
and the calibration will drift as the weight turns on the suspension
wire. A ready made straight sided plum-bob would do it, if you could
find one.

Old March 17th 10, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:05:38 -0000, "homerh"
wrote:

Can anybody tell us the best way to clean out the waste pipes as the water
flows away very slowly. Would it be ok to use Mr muscle or would this be to
powerful for the stupid ridged pipes that they fit to vans.

I have successfully cleared just such blockages in my 'van with gentle
use of a syringe type drain unblocker. A gentle repeated suck/blow
with some water in the sink or(in my case) shower tray has not failed
yet to restore the normal flow of grey water.

They're not expensive, so I bought one just to keep in the 'van.

Neil