110 amp and more Liesure Batteries

Old March 17th 10, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default 110 amp and more Liesure Batteries

I notice there are larger capacity than the usual maximum 110 amps for sale
will they fit in the place a 110 amp fits?
Are they heavier too or similar weight?
I usually go for the cheapest normal type of 110 amp. and not pay for the
sealed types.

Old March 17th 10, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

David wrote:
I notice there are larger capacity than the usual maximum 110 amps for
sale will they fit in the place a 110 amp fits?
Are they heavier too or similar weight?
I usually go for the cheapest normal type of 110 amp. and not pay for
the sealed types.

That's such an open-ended question as to be almost unanswerable.

There are lots of bigger batteries around and generally the physically
bigger they are the heavier they are. You won't go far wrong in assuming
that weight increases linearly with volume.

Why not ask the seller/manufacturer for dimensions of the one(s) that
interest you then get out your tape measure?
Old March 17th 10, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...

Why not ask the seller/manufacturer for dimensions of the one(s) that
interest you then get out your tape measure?

Actually I did look at one or two spec. on the web found some to be smaller
than the normal 110 amps.
I was asking to get answers of those that had experience of using them, to
get an idea if it was worth while even my thinking of going over a 110 amps
capacity.

Old March 17th 10, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
writes

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
.uk...

Why not ask the seller/manufacturer for dimensions of the one(s) that
interest you then get out your tape measure?

Actually I did look at one or two spec. on the web found some to be
smaller than the normal 110 amps.
I was asking to get answers of those that had experience of using them,
to get an idea if it was worth while even my thinking of going over a
110 amps capacity.

What are the views on gel batteries these days? ISTR one or two in here
going down that route.
--
hugh

Old March 17th 10, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message

Snip

What are the views on gel batteries these days? ISTR one or two in here going
down that route.
--
hugh

Expensive

Last year I bought a couple of ordinary 110 Amp Hr batteries six month apart

If I remember they were about 55.00 each after haggling

I've now got three

Two sit in Battery boxes in the back of the disco the others in the 'van

DieSea

Old March 17th 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

David formulated on Wednesday :
Actually I did look at one or two spec. on the web found some to be smaller
than the normal 110 amps.
I was asking to get answers of those that had experience of using them, to
get an idea if it was worth while even my thinking of going over a 110 amps
capacity.

Don't rely absolutely on the amp/hour quoted. It is easy enough to
label an 100amp/hour battery 130, but how are you going to check it?

Size versus capacity has gradually improved a little over the years.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 17th 10, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:59:05 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

What are the views on gel batteries these days? ISTR one or two in here
going down that route.

Bloomin expensive and no better or worse than an ordinary lead acid
battery. I had one in my Hymer and it did not last as long as I have
come to expect. I replaced it last year when it was 6 years old, with
a lead acid battery. The previous lead acid battery that I bought in
2001 is still going strong.
Bill Lord

Old March 18th 10, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:59:05 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In message , David
writes

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
t.uk...

Why not ask the seller/manufacturer for dimensions of the one(s) that
interest you then get out your tape measure?

Actually I did look at one or two spec. on the web found some to be
smaller than the normal 110 amps.
I was asking to get answers of those that had experience of using them,
to get an idea if it was worth while even my thinking of going over a
110 amps capacity.

What are the views on gel batteries these days? ISTR one or two in here
going down that route.

I got a second-hand ex UPS 130 Ah jobbie several years ago. It cost
me very little - about 30 IIRC. It was BIG, too big for any battery
compartment, but then it was for a 'van that didn't have a
compartment. It was HEAVY - like about 8 stone, the guy who delivered
it swore he'd never have believed anything the size could weigh so
much. Performance wise it worked very well for many years - probably
about 11 or 12. Then the performance gradually dropped off until I
scrapped it a year ago. I wouldn't buy a new one - too dear!

Neil