Break-away cable in Holland

Old March 18th 10, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

Default Break-away cable in Holland

Woody, you say that it is illegal to attach the cable over the towball in
Holland, which for me is a major problem. I only had the towbar fitted 3
weeks ago and there is no lug for the cable to attach too. I have been onto
the fitter and he tells me that it is now illegal to fit them as, if this
method is used and an accident ensues insurers won't pay out. I don't know
of any way I can get a suitable option fitted before my holiday and am quite
worried about being stopped and not being allowed to continue on my journey,
Harry

Old March 18th 10, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
Woody, you say that it is illegal to attach the cable over the towball in
Holland, which for me is a major problem. I only had the towbar fitted 3
weeks ago and there is no lug for the cable to attach too. I have been
onto the fitter and he tells me that it is now illegal to fit them as, if
this method is used and an accident ensues insurers won't pay out. I don't
know of any way I can get a suitable option fitted before my holiday and
am quite worried about being stopped and not being allowed to continue on
my journey,

What is the way they do it in Holland then?
I remember the lug thing here it was the Practical Caravan mag. and Caravan
Club that wanted us all to stop putting the cable round the ball.

Old March 18th 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"David" wrote in message

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
Woody, you say that it is illegal to attach the cable over the towball in
Holland, which for me is a major problem. I only had the towbar fitted 3 weeks
ago and there is no lug for the cable to attach too. I have been onto the
fitter and he tells me that it is now illegal to fit them as, if this method is
used and an accident ensues insurers won't pay out. I don't know of any way I
can get a suitable option fitted before my holiday and am quite worried about
being stopped and not being allowed to continue on my journey,

What is the way they do it in Holland then?
I remember the lug thing here it was the Practical Caravan mag. and Caravan Club
that wanted us all to stop putting the cable round the ball.

What about this

http://www.towsure.com/category/7191...s_and_Brackets

DieSea

Old March 18th 10, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , DieSea
writes

"David" wrote in message

[...]

The hole in the bracket isn't large enough to pass the clip through
hence it should only be used with the breakaway cables which
specifically state that the clip is strong enough to be directly clipped
on to the bracket and not passed through and clipped back on itself.

I posted the link to the CC leaflets on this subject previously and it
lists the possibilities in preferred order.
--
hugh

Old March 18th 10, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett[_2_]

Harry Pleavin wrote:
Woody, you say that it is illegal to attach the cable over the towball in
Holland, which for me is a major problem. I only had the towbar fitted 3
weeks ago and there is no lug for the cable to attach too. I have been onto
the fitter and he tells me that it is now illegal to fit them as, if this
method is used and an accident ensues insurers won't pay out. I don't know
of any way I can get a suitable option fitted before my holiday and am quite
worried about being stopped and not being allowed to continue on my journey,
Harry

What happens to someone like me? I have a Skoda Octavia, with a
detachable tow bar. there is nowhere to put a mounting for a cable hook?
Old March 18th 10, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

DieSea pretended :
"David" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I never knew that you had to have a secondary coupling, when
towing an unbraked trailer. I don't remember ever seeing one being used
either.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 19th 10, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, John Moppett
wrote:

What happens to someone like me? I have a Skoda Octavia, with a
detachable tow bar. there is nowhere to put a mounting for a cable
hook?

Presumably the bit which the detachable bar plugs into is bolted to the
bodywork in some way or other? Can't you use one of *its* bolts?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 19th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

hugh wrote:
In message , DieSea
writes

"David" wrote in message

[...]

It's easy to make/have made a lug big enough to allow a breakaway cable
clip to pass that will attach to a suitable bolt (if any!) on the
car/towbar.

I know that arguing with police at the roadside in any country is a
problem but I believe that there is an obligation on the Netherland's
authorties to allow the passage of vehicles that meet the regulations of
their home country in the EU.

It is not illegal to hook your breakaway cable over the ball in the UK:
it is therefore legal throughout the EU.
Old March 19th 10, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dougal wrote:
hugh wrote:
In message , DieSea
writes

"David" wrote in message

[...]

it is therefore legal throughout the EU for a UK-registered vehicle.

(Added a few words at the end.)
Old March 19th 10, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

"John Moppett" wrote in message
Harry Pleavin wrote:
Woody, you say that it is illegal to attach the cable over the towball in
Holland, which for me is a major problem. I only had the towbar fitted 3
weeks ago and there is no lug for the cable to attach too. I have been
onto the fitter and he tells me that it is now illegal to fit them as, if
this method is used and an accident ensues insurers won't pay out. I
don't know of any way I can get a suitable option fitted before my
holiday and am quite worried about being stopped and not being allowed to
continue on my journey, Harry

What happens to someone like me? I have a Skoda Octavia, with a detachable
tow bar. there is nowhere to put a mounting for a cable hook?

Me too! I have been on to the tow bar fitting company and they confirm that
it IS a legal requirement to have a 'lug'
for the break away cable in Holland and they are looking at a number of
alternatives including welding
one on as the tow ball manufacturer doesn't make
cable lugs and they based in Germany right next door to Holland.