Netbook Computer in a Caravan

Old March 25th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

Default Netbook Computer in a Caravan

A couple of years back I bought a 17 inch screen laptop to take away with me
in the caravan. Apart from internet and photo use we were going to use it
to watch DVDs. In fact it never got used to watch DVDs but was extremely
useful for surfing the internet and keeping up with the news, as most sites
we visited in Europe were wified. It was also good to download pictures from
the camera.

My machine, a Toshiba satellite, is quite heavy, has a short battery life
and with its wiring is a bit of a nuisance in our little van. I wish now I
had bought something smaller and I see now there are netbook computers with
10 inch screens available.

Do you know of any drawbacks with these little computers when used whilst
caravanning?

Am I right in thinking it would be possible to use an external DVD drive
with a netbook if I found it necessary?

Regards.

Dave

Old March 25th 10, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:28:01 -0000, "Dave D"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,
Wife uses one in the van with no probs at all, infact it connects
better to the WiFi than my laptop with a card.
As long as its USB you can connect just about anything to it.
As the wife's "big hard drive" is ATA and DVD is SATA she uses a
Hard drive ATA/SATA to USB adapter with no probs (14)

Hope this helps

John
Old March 25th 10, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that reply John but you have lost me a bit in your last couple of
lines. What is the "big hard drive" for, is it an extra, and would I need
one if in the unlikely event I wanted to connect a DVD drive? Sorry if
this sounds stupid but whereas I can bash away with two fingers on forums
and newsgroups I am not up to scratch with most of the various computer 'add
ons'. I had a look at netbooks in PCWorld today and they looked just what I
need. All I want to do with a computer when away with the van is surf the
internet, download pictures from my camera and read and write the odd
document in Word. Much as I do at home. Perhaps and I mean just perhaps we
might like to watch a DVD but this use is not essential.
Dave

Old March 26th 10, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Dave D" wrote in message

Snip

I see now there are netbook computers with 10 inch screens available.

Do you know of any drawbacks with these little computers when used whilst
caravanning?

Am I right in thinking it would be possible to use an external DVD drive
with a netbook if I found it necessary?

Regards.

Dave

Just the thing for taking away, once you get used to the size of the screen,
which is significantly less than your current 17in, and means somewhat more
scrolling when using the web etc.

Ours will do everything the previous laptop would, and most of what the main
PC will do. We'd stopped taking the laptop with us, whereas the netbook now
goes everywhere.

If you aren't particularly computer literate, you may find loading (some)
additional software a bit of a pain when it is supplied on, and expected to
be installed from, a CD/DVD, though there are ways to get most to install
from a USB pen drive (as long as you have another PC with a CD/DVD drive).
Other than that, you should find you have everything you need on your
travels.

The above problem can be avoided by buying an external USB CD/DVD drive (c
45 for a slim one from on-line retailers), which will give you all the
functionality you need (including S/W installation and DVD video viewing),
but doesn't have to be carted around with you for anything else. If you go
this route, I would recommend buying one which is powered through the USB
connection, rather than having an external power unit - more portable, less
wires, etc.

Several things to be careful of:

If you're looking at battery use, make sure you get one with a long-life
battery. They come with various sizes, not all are equal, and you should be
looking carefully at the spec. Generally, the words "6-cell battery" are
used for the longer life ones, but compare the mAH ratings.

You may wish to be careful about the choice of Operating System. The cheaper
ones come with XP, which may be fine for your needs, especially if you are
used to it at the moment. AFAIK, none were shipped with Vista as netbooks
were considered not man enough to run it, but with the coming of Windows 7,
they are now shipping with this, but many have only Starter Edition, which
is very much a cut-down version. I would personally look at Windows 7 Home
Premium, or factor in the 50 or so required to upgrade from Starter
Edition. (As I had access to a cheap upgrade, I've updated the original XP
on mine to 7 Home Premium, and it works fine).

Most ship with 1GB of memory. Personally, I would look for one that was
upgradeable, and factor in the cost of another self-installed 1GB. (Easy
job, usually the slot is under a screw cover). Around an extra 20 from an
online retailer.

If you think you may be using it in daylight quite a bit, consider a
non-reflective (matt) screen. They don't look quite so "sexy" out of the
box, but at least you can use them more easily in sunlight.

Don't know if you pitch often without hook-up, but if you do you may wish to
check the availability of a 12V charger. I have an Asus, and managed to get
an Asus 12V charger for not much cash.

HTH

Old March 26th 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"bob douglas" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

Snip

[...]

Many thanks Bob for your very considered reply. You have answered all I
want to know. With the advice from yourself and John taken into account I
have decided that the Acer One 532 will cater for my needs and I shall order
one later from John Lewis in Southsea. I like to use them because of their
2 year warranty :-)
Many thanks again to you both.
Regards.
Dave

Old March 26th 10, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Dave D" wrote in message

"bob douglas" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

Snip

[...]

Try Laptopsdirect in Huddersfield for a price as well

DieSea

Old March 26th 10, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"DieSea" wrote in message

Try Laptopsdirect in Huddersfield for a price as well

DieSea

Thanks for the tip DieSea. I have checked Laptopsdirect and they are 12
cheaper but with just the one year guarantee. However John Lewis at
Southsea is on my doorstep, Huddersfield must be 250 miles away.
Thanks again for the thought.
Dave.

Old March 26th 10, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Dave D" wrote in message

"DieSea" wrote in message

Try Laptopsdirect in Huddersfield for a price as well

DieSea

Thanks for the tip DieSea. I have checked Laptopsdirect and they are 12 cheaper
but with just the one year guarantee. However John Lewis at Southsea is on my
doorstep, Huddersfield must be 250 miles away.
Thanks again for the thought.
Dave.

Laptops direct charge for use of a credit card as well

I think delivery is free from them

I've got the Asus eepc 901 with an external 1 T hard drive

The voda dongle used to be good with no expiry on unused data

I'm told its changed now ,

Some of the ports are locked down as well with voda , unlike 3 G

Or simply put some sites I can get to with 3 G that I cant get at with voda

DieSea

Old March 26th 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Clarke

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

"DieSea" wrote in message

Try Laptopsdirect in Huddersfield for a price as well

DieSea

Thanks for the tip DieSea. I have checked Laptopsdirect and they are 12
cheaper but with just the one year guarantee. However John Lewis at
Southsea is on my doorstep, Huddersfield must be 250 miles away.
Thanks again for the thought.
Dave.

Laptops direct charge for use of a credit card as well

I think delivery is free from them

I've got the Asus eepc 901 with an external 1 T hard drive

The voda dongle used to be good with no expiry on unused data

I'm told its changed now ,

Some of the ports are locked down as well with voda , unlike 3 G

Or simply put some sites I can get to with 3 G that I cant get at with
voda

DieSea

We got a 12v charger for our acer from maplins 5 bargin!! it came with
lots of different conectors and you can change output voltage on it.

Al C

Old March 30th 10, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 25 Mar, 15:28, "Dave D" wrote:
[...]

I've got a Samsung NC10 for the caravan and I wouldn't be without it.
It does all I want it to with 6 hours claimed battery life but I've
never had it go below 80% charge. I also have an external DVD drive
that I got from Ebay for 35. It uses Windows XP and I use it with a
3G dongle if I'm on a site that doesn't have WiFi. Where WiFi is
provided the NC10 makes use of it with no problems. I also think that
John Lewis sell them.

Fred