electrical problems

Old April 25th 10, 05:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_3_]

Default electrical problems

My parents have just got a new, Secondhand caravan, Eccles, cant remember
the full name. Anyone, all was going well when I visited them yesterday,
then I noticed the two bulbs in the mains lights at the front had golf ball
style bulbs in and should have had candle flame shaped ones. All was working
well, five minutes later my dad reported he had no power. checked all RCB's
noticed that the polarity light was on. worked out that if you turned
something mains on this polarity light came on, went off when items were all
off. checked the sockets with one of those plug in testers and it showed,
when all mains items were off that there was no Neutral. when you switched
something on, like the fridge, or water heater, the tester changed to show
live and earth reversed. checked all the plugs on the cables, all correct.

any ideas? they are due away in 2 weeks time. doesn't help that I live 150
miles away from them.

Lee

Old April 25th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
[...]

Check the mains cable feeding supply to the van - at both ends -
and any adapter fitted.

It is unlikely that there will be a fault inside the van as the
wiring will be original and thus well checked before it left the
factory, but the trailing cable can have all sorts of problems.
If the worst comes to the worst, get a new cable - they only cost
about 20.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 25th 10, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

REDSKINS wrote :
checked the sockets with one of those plug in testers and it showed, when all
mains items were off that there was no Neutral. when you switched something
on, like the fridge, or water heater, the tester changed to show live and
earth reversed. checked all the plugs on the cables, all correct.

With all due respect.... It sounds as if you need someone who knows
what they are doing to look at it in person, rather than trying to
resolve it via a newsgroup.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old April 25th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, REDSKINS
wrote:
[...]

When you said that you checked all the plugs in the cables, does that
include the external cable(s) feeding the van from (presumably) the house
supply - including any 13A to caravan plug adapters in use?

Have you tried the tester in a 13A socket in the house - maybe the house
supply is reversed?!

Why did you mention golf ball vs candle bulbs? I'm not quite sure what
significance you attach to that. Does it have any bearing on the main
problem?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 25th 10, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Woody
writes
"REDSKINS" wrote in message
[...]

If they bought the van from a dealer it should have been checked b4
delivery - and if the external cable was included in the sale take the
whole lot back.

If bought privately then check the wiring at each end on the cable as
suggested.
There would appear to be something seriously wrong and if it isn't the
cable then I would recommend getting someone out to have a look at it
rather than trying to second guess it on a newsgroup.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old May 3rd 10, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
REDSKINS[_3_]

Van went back to the dealers, a connector that connects all the mains items
into the power board was loose.

Lee