Removing memory feed from fitted radio

Old May 14th 10, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Balcombe[_2_]

Default Removing memory feed from fitted radio

Since fitting a car radio to my caravan and despite providing an isolator
switch (the radio is direct wired to the battery) I am getting battery drain
problems when the van is not in use. The obvious culprit is the radio memory
circuit. The radio does not require a security code. Besides the obvious one
of having to retune every time on reaching site (not a great one given we
tend to go to different sites not return regularly to the same one) are
there any other problems in simply cutting the memory circuit?

Peter

Old May 14th 10, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Peter Balcombe said the following on 14/05/2010 13:07:
Since fitting a car radio to my caravan and despite providing an
isolator switch (the radio is direct wired to the battery) I am getting
battery drain problems when the van is not in use. The obvious culprit
is the radio memory circuit. The radio does not require a security code.
Besides the obvious one of having to retune every time on reaching site
(not a great one given we tend to go to different sites not return
regularly to the same one) are there any other problems in simply
cutting the memory circuit?

Peter

If it is via an isolator switch and that is off, probably not the radio.
Have you got an alarm fitted that could be causing the drain?

Roy
Old May 14th 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Peter Balcombe
writes
Since fitting a car radio to my caravan and despite providing an
isolator switch (the radio is direct wired to the battery) I am getting
battery drain problems when the van is not in use. The obvious culprit
is the radio memory circuit. The radio does not require a security
code. Besides the obvious one of having to retune every time on
reaching site (not a great one given we tend to go to different sites
not return regularly to the same one) are there any other problems in
simply cutting the memory circuit?

Peter

No, not in my experience.

When I installed one (Sony) I wired the memory circuit direct to the
battery (via a fuse) and only disconnected it when the van was not in
use for some time. The radio main feed was from a switched 12v circuit.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old May 14th 10, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Peter Balcombe" wrote in message
Since fitting a car radio to my caravan and despite providing
an isolator switch (the radio is direct wired to the battery) I
am getting battery drain problems when the van is not in use.
The obvious culprit is the radio memory circuit. The radio does
not require a security code. Besides the obvious one of having
to retune every time on reaching site (not a great one given we
tend to go to different sites not return regularly to the same
one) are there any other problems in simply cutting the memory
circuit?

Peter

What about the clock?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 15th 10, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

The radio is my bailey is wired so that the memory feed is lost when the 12v
is turned off.

Old May 15th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B[_3_]

"Peter Balcombe" wrote in message
Since fitting a car radio to my caravan and despite providing an isolator
switch (the radio is direct wired to the battery) I am getting battery
drain problems when the van is not in use. The obvious culprit is the
radio memory circuit. The radio does not require a security code. Besides
the obvious one of having to retune every time on reaching site (not a
great one given we tend to go to different sites not return regularly to
the same one) are there any other problems in simply cutting the memory
circuit?

Peter

I have a the radio memory connection permanently connected to the battery,
via a fuse, so is connected when all other power is off. Even after a winter
layup, the battery is fine. You may have something else draining the
battery.

John B