wireless internet, dongle

Old May 16th 10, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Clarke

Default wireless internet, dongle

any pointers or advice please group on purchace and use, also what kind of
speeds can i expect in the " real world"

Al C

Old May 16th 10, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Al Clarke" wrote in message
any pointers or advice please group on purchace and use, also what kind of
speeds can i expect in the " real world"

I have just purchased a Dongle from O2 at 9.99, half usual price this
month.
To use I have to buy credit to cover a day, a week or a month. A month will
be 15.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobileb...tab/Pay_and_Go

Old May 16th 10, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"David" wrote in message

"Al Clarke" wrote in message
any pointers or advice please group on purchace and use, also what kind
of speeds can i expect in the " real world"

I have just purchased a Dongle from O2 at 9.99, half usual price this
month.
To use I have to buy credit to cover a day, a week or a month. A month
will be 15.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobileb...tab/Pay_and_Go

Think other Networks do the Dongles but some seem to have dropped Pay as you
go.

The publicity for O2 gives the impression this is free and your credit not
touched.
"Get unlimited access to 7,500 Wi-Fi hotspots through The Cloud & BT
Openzone in places like McDonalds & Starbucks - that's on top of the data
allowance in your chosen package."
Can't understand the McD bit as my laptop works there free without an O2
dongle.

Old May 16th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Al Clarke brought next idea :
any pointers or advice please group on purchace and use, also what kind of
speeds can i expect in the " real world"

I have used mine (Voda) three times, in two (not very wild) locations.
Speed was pretty good, more than adequate for the basics. In the
location I used it twice, I found it best to locate the dongle outside,
high and in a waterproof plastic cover.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 17th 10, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pedro[_2_]

On 16/05/2010 23:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Al Clarke brought next idea :
any pointers or advice please group on purchace and use, also what
kind of speeds can i expect in the " real world"

I have used mine (Voda) three times, in two (not very wild) locations.
Speed was pretty good, more than adequate for the basics. In the
location I used it twice, I found it best to locate the dongle outside,
high and in a waterproof plastic cover.

As a result of a previous thread on this ng last year I bought a Voda
PAYG dongle (29.99 including 1st Gb). This has 1Gb for 15 which has
to be used over 3 months. The same unit on sale now has a 3Gb for 15
deal but the balance expires after 30 days (no use to me). You must buy
topups in a single unit of exactly 15. A 30 voucher is no use.

The coverage maps that Voda provide on line are reasonably accurate.
When I've been in the red areas I've got fast broadband. Fast, but the
speed does vary slightly form place to place. Not a great concern to me
as I don't want to watch video etc.
Last week I was in a blue area and got dial up speeds but sufficient for
email and downloading maps.

So far I've used the dongle inside the van and not had to use the
included extension lead but thanks Harry for that tip. I might need it
in the wilds of Scotland where high mountains take precedence over
mobile signals!

So far this year I've picked up quite a number of free WiFi locations
and not had to use the dongle. I don't expect to be as lucky in Scotland.

Pedro
(Please reply via newsgroup)

Old May 17th 10, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Pedro" wrote in message
[...]

2 Vodaphone shops told me they no longer it.
The firms that I found that still offer pay as you go the prepay credit as
to be used within that month or you loose it.
As I said I choose O2 because of the 9.99 offer and free access to the
Cloud and BTzone.

Thanks for the tip of getting a longer USB male/female lead, one in the box
but very short.

Old May 17th 10, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Pedro submitted this idea :
As a result of a previous thread on this ng last year I bought a Voda PAYG
dongle (29.99 including 1st Gb).

Same as mine.

This has 1Gb for 15 which has to be used
over 3 months. The same unit on sale now has a 3Gb for 15 deal but the
balance expires after 30 days (no use to me). You must buy topups in a
single unit of exactly 15. A 30 voucher is no use.

I am still using the 1Gb purchased in August/September of last year and
the initial 1Gb still worked at Easter.

Old May 17th 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Pedro submitted this idea :
As a result of a previous thread on this ng last year I bought a Voda PAYG
dongle (29.99 including 1st Gb).

Same as mine.

This has 1Gb for 15 which has to be used over 3 months. The same unit on sale
now has a 3Gb for 15 deal but the balance expires after 30 days (no use to
me). You must buy topups in a single unit of exactly 15. A 30 voucher is no
use.

I am still using the 1Gb purchased in August/September of last year and the
initial 1Gb still worked at Easter.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I bought my Voda dongle many moons back with 15 on it

Its still working

I was told at the time of purchase keep it topped up

AND use it every three or four months

About 3 months after purchase I put another 15 on it

When I used it last night it was showing over 29.50 credit

I'm not sure but I think I remember being told that if you had ant credit left on
, you would loose it after 6 months on inactivity

But you could recover any unspent credit by topping up by 15 within 12 months of
the last use

I have the Voda and 3 dongle ,

Why ,

Some of the ports are blocked on the voda dongle that aren't blocked on the 3 and
vice versa

Be warned though

ON NEW CONTRACTS

The Voda dongle has changed its T&C's recently on the pay as you go dongle

UNUSED DATA will expire within 30 days if not used

DieSea

Old May 18th 10, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

I am still using the 1Gb purchased in August/September of last year and
the initial 1Gb still worked at Easter.

Well last week I failed to find any of the phone shops or supermarkets
offering this sort of thing, a 15 top up to last only 30 days if not used
you loose it.
The various company web sites backed this up. Checked because sometimes
the shop do not know correct info/price.
EG my purchase of the O2 dongle of 9.99 I first saw on the web site as the
May offer. Was 7 day delay in despatch, so went to shop to see if in stock
and it was. Large display there was saying 19.99 no mention of the May
offer. The display clearly said top up was extra. If I had not known of
the May offer would have left.
I did not have to ask for the May offer was given it at the till. Obviously
the shop not bothered about selling them, they more interested in selling
expensive mobile phones to teenagers.
From what you are posting here to me it seems some companies getting out of
this Pay as You Go product and the others tightening in their favour the
conditions of use over the past month or so.

Old May 18th 10, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:01:30 +0100, "David"
wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...

I am still using the 1Gb purchased in August/September of last year and
the initial 1Gb still worked at Easter.

Well last week I failed to find any of the phone shops or supermarkets
offering this sort of thing, a 15 top up to last only 30 days if not used
you loose it.
The various company web sites backed this up. Checked because sometimes
the shop do not know correct info/price.

Having been reading this thread I decided last night to try my
Vodaphone dongle bought in December and used very sparingly, the last
time I used it was at easter. It came as harry says with a 1gb top up
included with a 15 topup fee for data that will last until it is used
up provided that the dongle is used occasionally. It still works and
when it gets a 3g connection it works well, but without the 3g it is
about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. However I noticed that
whilst it came with a 15 topup and I have not put any more money on
it, the present balance is 15.66, can't be bad.

Bill Lord