Portable Caravan Satellite system

Old May 19th 10, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

Default Portable Caravan Satellite system

I'm looking for a fairly cheap satellite system as I'm fed up with no decent
terrestrial aerial signal. I've had a look at Maplins who do a 40cm in a
suitcase but am concerned as most of my sites are in Scotland (although only
up to Perthshire) and am led to believe that a 40cm dish may not be very
good. Is this true? Could anyone recommend a system (I also am aware that
Aldi & Lidl often have these at reasonable prices, but not at the moment).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ian

Old May 20th 10, 05:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Ian" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm looking for a fairly cheap satellite system as I'm fed up with no
decent terrestrial aerial signal. I've had a look at Maplins who do a
40cm in a suitcase but am concerned as most of my sites are in Scotland
(although only up to Perthshire) and am led to believe that a 40cm dish
may not be very good. Is this true? Could anyone recommend a system (I
also am aware that Aldi & Lidl often have these at reasonable prices, but
not at the moment).

The leading DIY stores appear to have kits at the moment, Screwfix,
Homebase, B&Q.
Yes larger dishes are to be recomended for up north.
Sky for example have 2 sizes the larger one being used in the north.
Dishes can be very cheap, try looking for 60cm one.

Old May 20th 10, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

After serious thinking Ian wrote :
I'm looking for a fairly cheap satellite system as I'm fed up with no decent
terrestrial aerial signal. I've had a look at Maplins who do a 40cm in a
suitcase but am concerned as most of my sites are in Scotland (although only
up to Perthshire) and am led to believe that a 40cm dish may not be very
good. Is this true? Could anyone recommend a system (I also am aware that
Aldi & Lidl often have these at reasonable prices, but not at the moment).

Ours (as mentioned above) worked fine all the way to the north coast.
It depends upon the gain of the LNB, how accurately it is aimed and how
much disruption to signal you are willing to put up with in bad
weather.

If it proves not satisfactory, you could always pick up a larger dish
locally for not a lot.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 20th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A Plumber

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

B&Q had the whole kit in yesterday where I live, think it was about 70
dish, very nice tripod, receiver, LNB etc
I didn't have much problem in Scotland with my status, went up the east
coast, across the top and down the west coast

Old May 30th 10, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MoNeM[_2_]

"Ian" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm looking for a fairly cheap satellite system as I'm fed up with no
decent terrestrial aerial signal. I've had a look at Maplins who do a
40cm in a suitcase but am concerned as most of my sites are in Scotland
(although only up to Perthshire) and am led to believe that a 40cm dish
may not be very good. Is this true? Could anyone recommend a system (I
also am aware that Aldi & Lidl often have these at reasonable prices, but
not at the moment).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ian

Buy a 60cm dish off ebay with stand and a freesat digi box with some wire -
total cost about 60.00

PS you don't need an expensive new TV

Old June 1st 10, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"MoNeM" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm looking for a fairly cheap satellite system as I'm fed up with no
decent terrestrial aerial signal. I've had a look at Maplins who do a
40cm in a suitcase but am concerned as most of my sites are in Scotland
(although only up to Perthshire) and am led to believe that a 40cm dish
may not be very good. Is this true? Could anyone recommend a system (I
also am aware that Aldi & Lidl often have these at reasonable prices, but
not at the moment).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ian

Buy a 60cm dish off ebay with stand and a freesat digi box with some
wire - total cost about 60.00

PS you don't need an expensive new TV

Aldi have one on offer this Thursday - 45cm dish

John M