Zig CF8 output current specification

Old May 23rd 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Calvin Sambrook

Default Zig CF8 output current specification

Does anybody happen to know the output capability of a Zig CF8 please? I've
trawled the web but Zig seem to be a bit in the dark ages and although I can
find photocopies of their manual I can't find any mention of what current
the unit can handle.

The reason for the question is that I'm planning to ignore all of the big
bold warnings from Zig and connect a (quite small) 12V compressor fridge
directly to it. I know I'll need to be careful not to drain the leisure
battery but it's still better than only having it available when driving.

Here's the logic:
The fridge (Waeco WDC-50) is rated at 45W which is less than 4amps peak
current draw. Waeco themselves say that at 32C it draws an average of 1A
per hour, so 24Ah per day.
On mains hookup or when driving the Zig will be charging the leisure battery
so will be replacing some or all of that 24Ah.
The leisure battery should smooth out any spikes from the compressor
starting.

So there's the question really, will the Zig CF8 be happy providing an
average of 1A with a peak load of 4A plus a few lamps etc? For the life of
me I can't see why not and I suspect that the warnings in the Zig manual are
a sort of catch-all against situations where either the Zig is used without
a battery or a bigger fridge is used.

Any thoughts?

Old May 23rd 10, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
[...]

http://www.zig-electronics.co.uk/products.htm#

"This unit offers battery charging and 230-12V conversion with a
battery, up to 4.5 amps continuously."
Old May 23rd 10, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Calvin Sambrook

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...

http://www.zig-electronics.co.uk/products.htm#

"This unit offers battery charging and 230-12V conversion with a battery,
up to 4.5 amps continuously."

Many thanks for that. I'd been searching through manuals, where I'd expect
to find specifications but didn't, and I didn't even think to look at the
headline product description. Doh!

So it sounds like I'll be running the Zig at about a quarter of its
capability for the fridge plus whatever the lighting takes. The leisure
battery will take care of the peak load so it sounds like I'm in business.

Old May 23rd 10, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Calvin Sambrook formulated on Sunday :
Many thanks for that. I'd been searching through manuals, where I'd expect
to find specifications but didn't, and I didn't even think to look at the
headline product description. Doh!

So it sounds like I'll be running the Zig at about a quarter of its
capability for the fridge plus whatever the lighting takes. The leisure
battery will take care of the peak load so it sounds like I'm in business.

4.5 amps is tiny by comparison with some units. Mine outputs 20amps.
When initially pulling the fridge down to temperature it could be
running continuously for an extended period. Might you not be better
swapping the Zig for a more capable unit?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 23rd 10, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Calvin Sambrook formulated on Sunday :
Many thanks for that. I'd been searching through manuals, where I'd expect to
find specifications but didn't, and I didn't even think to look at the headline
product description. Doh!

So it sounds like I'll be running the Zig at about a quarter of its capability
for the fridge plus whatever the lighting takes. The leisure battery will take
care of the peak load so it sounds like I'm in business.

4.5 amps is tiny by comparison with some units. Mine outputs 20amps. When
initially pulling the fridge down to temperature it could be running
continuously for an extended period. Might you not be better swapping the Zig
for a more capable unit?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

As a thought is the 12V side of the fridge run through a 'stat ???

Or is it always on ???

DieSea

Old May 24th 10, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Calvin Sambrook

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Calvin Sambrook formulated on Sunday :
Many thanks for that. I'd been searching through manuals, where I'd
expect to find specifications but didn't, and I didn't even think to
look at the headline product description. Doh!

So it sounds like I'll be running the Zig at about a quarter of its
capability for the fridge plus whatever the lighting takes. The leisure
battery will take care of the peak load so it sounds like I'm in
business.

4.5 amps is tiny by comparison with some units. Mine outputs 20amps. When
initially pulling the fridge down to temperature it could be running
continuously for an extended period. Might you not be better swapping the
Zig for a more capable unit?

I think the 4.5A limit is deliberate to provide a limited charge rate to
protect the battery. Cheap and nasty trick but it sort of works. From my
point of view it's OK as I'm not expecting to draw more than that for any
long period, so the battery will discharge a bit - that's what they're for.

As a thought is the 12V side of the fridge run through a 'stat ???

Or is it always on ???

Yes, it's a compressor fridge with a thermostat. The manufacturers website
says that it draws 1A average at 32C ambient with a peak load of 45W (about
4A)

Old May 24th 10, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
"DieSea" wrote in message

[...]

Ok , so its a compressor fridge

Is that a compressor fridge that works on 240V AC and 12V DC ( i.e. Car battery )
and gas as well

Most caravan fridges I know work on 240 / 12V and gas

The 240V and gas have a thermostat in line, with 12V without a thermostat

Just worth double checking

DieSea

Old May 24th 10, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Calvin Sambrook expressed precisely :
I think the 4.5A limit is deliberate to provide a limited charge rate to
protect the battery. Cheap and nasty trick but it sort of works. From my
point of view it's OK as I'm not expecting to draw more than that for any
long period, so the battery will discharge a bit - that's what they're for.

If the charger is voltage limited, it will have a similar effect. Mine
is limited to 13.8v and I doubt that even were the battery completely
flat it would draw more than 10 amps even for its first few minutes.
Its 20amp capacity means I can use several lights, the TV + sat system
and the pump without anything coming out of the battery, or perhaps
more important -run them with no battery installed at all.

Old May 25th 10, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Calvin Sambrook

"DieSea" wrote in message

[...]

No this one is compressor but 12V only. Which is more of a pain than you'd
think as if you use conventional wisdom and wire to the ignition so that the
fridge is only on when the engine is running you can't pre-cool it before
going away and you can't use it on site. Hence the desire to rewire it via
the Zig.

Old May 25th 10, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

Is that a compressor fridge that works on 240V AC and 12V DC ( i.e. Car
battery ) and gas as well

A compressor fridge needs power, so can't run on gas. Indeed its more like
a home fridge/freezer. Much more effective than the 3-way absorbtion
fridges, but more moving parts.