Retensioning Flyscreens / Blinds

Old May 28th 10, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Default Retensioning Flyscreens / Blinds

Hi

Can any one steer me in the right direction for retensioning the fly screens /
blinds

I've been able to remove the end cap on the cassette that needs doing but I can't
seem to fathom out what to do next

TIA

DieSea

Old May 29th 10, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

DieSea wrote:

Hi

Can any one steer me in the right direction for retensioning the fly
screens / blinds

I've been able to remove the end cap on the cassette that needs doing
but I can't seem to fathom out what to do next

On ours there's a slot for a screwdriver right in the centre at one
end. Either at the other end or the same end is a piece you hold
whilst you rotate the slot clockwise .. small pawls on the inside stop
the thing from springing out. Ours didn't need to come down to
re-tension, leaving it up means the ends are captive anyway and you
just screw the centre bit in.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old May 29th 10, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john

On Fri, 28 May 2010 23:12:22 +0100, DieSea wrote:

Hi

Can any one steer me in the right direction for retensioning the fly
screens / blinds

I've been able to remove the end cap on the cassette that needs doing
but I can't seem to fathom out what to do next

TIA

DieSea

Hi DieSea

Easy job, the adjuster (one end only) is a screwdriver slot and when you
fit the screwdriver you need to press it in a fraction to disengage the
lock, you will "spin off" the tension a couple of times before you get it
right.
When I did mine , I found that the end cap that was " get at able " was
the wrong end so no adjuster....
In the end I removed all the blind cassettes cleaned them up lubed the
mechanism washed the blinds and tensioned them out of the van, refit the
whole lot...like new !!!!
The longest part of the job was:-
A) finding a screwdriver that would reach the screws (I have Hams for
hands)
B) washing the material of the blinds.

If I had tools to hand and we were not cleaning the blinds then say 3
hours.
as it was it took 2 days...strip all out just over an hour,clean lub
mechanism half hour, refit just over and hour and quarter.
Cleaning blinds one day (the wife is very slow doing the washing)
Magnetic screwdriver was favourite in the end to get the screws back in ,
Its where to blinds but together left and right or in a corner I could
not get my fingers between to start the screws off.

Hope this helps

Regards

John
(Long Tall Ugly)
Old May 29th 10, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Paul - xxx laid this down on his screen :
On ours there's a slot for a screwdriver right in the centre at one
end. Either at the other end or the same end is a piece you hold
whilst you rotate the slot clockwise .. small pawls on the inside stop
the thing from springing out. Ours didn't need to come down to
re-tension, leaving it up means the ends are captive anyway and you
just screw the centre bit in.

The very same as ours. You may need to take the unit off, if one ends
butts up against something.

I think it was a matter of pushing the plastic 'screw' in, as you turn
it, then releasing the pressure to drop it back into whatever holds the
tension on.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 29th 10, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"john" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks All

Just got back from Blackpool

( Yuck weather , Yuck traffic and Yuck Blackpool in no particular order )

I've got couple of other bits to get so I'll do in this Sunday

( note not manyanna ! )

Again Thanks to ALL

DieSea

Old May 29th 10, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , DieSea
writes

"john" wrote in message
[...]

Did you by any chance stay at CC site South Blackpool and if so what's
it like?
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old May 29th 10, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , DieSea
writes

"john" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Hugh

No just visiting our granddaughter ( 9 Months ) and parents that live on the Fylde
coast

Last time I stayed on the CC Site was a few weeks before it got wrecked by a
visiting wedding party !!

It took weeks to get **Them** off and put the site out of action for months

Me if I'm out in the 'van in that area I tend to stay around the South Lakes

There's plenty of nice CL's around and close to the coast

We're on the door step of Southport , the South Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales
around Settle

Regards

DieSea

Old May 30th 10, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Default Retensioning Flyscreens / Blinds / jobs done

"DieSea" wrote in message

"john" wrote in message
[...]

Hi All

Job DONE

It was a bit of a *****

So I decided to have a look at one of the easier to get at cassettes

Lost the tension in that one and that's where the learning curve started

I removed the cassette totally into its component parts and from there rebuilt it

That took about an hour

Next was the cassette that needed retensioning

That came off the wall

As you said a screwdriver in the slot and in next to no time that done

Looks like some one had been trying to do that and the phillips head screws were a
problem

Got those off and replaced with new screws

Back working fine now

Tools needed to make life easy

A small electric torque screwdriver with magnetic holder and a phillips head bit

Now to sort the small skylight blind out , that too has lost its tension

I've had a look at it and it doesn't seem to be THAT easy

THANKS AGAIN ALL

DieSea

Old January 31st 16, 01:02 PM
Mr Blueskylight Mr Blueskylight is offline
Junior Member

Location: West Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSea View Post
Hi

Can any one steer me in the right direction for retensioning the fly screens /
blinds

I've been able to remove the end cap on the cassette that needs doing but I can't
seem to fathom out what to do next

TIA

DieSea
Try caravan skylight