Alko Tow Hitch

Old May 29th 10, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barno

Default Alko Tow Hitch

Hi all,
Am after a bit of advice from some towing experts. I have been looking on
the net and am totally confused, My son has just bought a second hand
caravan with an Alko tow hitch. The question I have is do you NEED to have a
special tow ball fitted to the car for these hitches, or can you use a
standard one?

Neil

Old May 29th 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Barno
writes
Hi all,
Am after a bit of advice from some towing experts. I have been looking
on the net and am totally confused, My son has just bought a second
hand caravan with an Alko tow hitch. The question I have is do you NEED
to have a special tow ball fitted to the car for these hitches, or can
you use a standard one?

Neil

Depends on our tow bar and the space behind the ball. The ALko tow ball
is a standard 50mm, but the horizontal bit of the neck is slightly
longer so it gives a fraction more clearance behind. You need this if
your to bar presents a square vertical face for the tow ball, but not
for a swan neck.

HTH
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old May 29th 10, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

hugh wrote:
In message , Barno
writes
Hi all,
Am after a bit of advice from some towing experts. I have been looking
on the net and am totally confused, My son has just bought a second
hand caravan with an Alko tow hitch. The question I have is do you
NEED to have a special tow ball fitted to the car for these hitches,
or can you use a standard one?

Neil

Depends on our tow bar and the space behind the ball. The ALko tow ball
is a standard 50mm, but the horizontal bit of the neck is slightly
longer so it gives a fraction more clearance behind. You need this if
your to bar presents a square vertical face for the tow ball, but not
for a swan neck.

HTH

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/faqs_detail.asp?id=1749

You'll get more information and 'pictures' in the coupling handbook.
Select from he
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/support-misc.asp
Old May 29th 10, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

I thought that for the standard ALKO hitch a standard 50mm ball will do. I
thought that a special ball was only required if the 'van is fitted with the
stabiliser pads in the tow hitch.

--

Jim

Old May 29th 10, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"Jim" wrote in message
"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

No the Alko towball is to allow slightly more clearance between the towball
and the rear of the car. The towball itself is the same size, it's just that
the neck is slightly longer so keeping the hitch further away from the
bumper. Also, the towball must be kept dry and free from grease and oil so
that the friction pads of the Alko stabilizer work properly.

--
Ian

Old May 29th 10, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Ian wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

Al-Ko also do unstabilised hitches which have no special requirements.
Old May 29th 10, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Ian" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim" wrote in message
"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks for that info. I have just changed my car and require new
towbar and towball for my new car to fit with my caravan that has ALKO hitch
with the built in stabiliser so your update will ensure that I specify the
correct item.

One question. Is it possible to buy a retractable/removable ball that meets
this ALKO requirement?

--

Jim

Old May 29th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KAW

Many thanks for that info. I have just changed my car and require new
towbar and towball for my new car to fit with my caravan that has ALKO
hitch with the built in stabiliser so your update will ensure that I
specify the correct item.

One question. Is it possible to buy a retractable/removable ball that
meets this ALKO requirement?

--

Jim

Yes. Most removables use a swan neck ball. Mine is a wesfalia detachable bar
with swan neck and is fine with the Alko stabiliser coupling.

Keith

Old May 29th 10, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Jim
writes
"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

You are quite correct. We have assumed that the OP was referring to the
ALKO hitches with the in-built stabilisers.

Mine was such a pain to use with my Land Rover that I took it off and
fitted a standard ALKO hitch - cost me about 30 but then I sold the
other one on e-bay for considerably more than that.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha