On site use gas or hook up electric.

Old June 1st 10, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default On site use gas or hook up electric.

On sites I've used up to now electric was in price but going on one with
slot meter electric.
Do you think in general terms electric will be cheaper than my gas for the
fridge and same question for the heater.

Old June 1st 10, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"David" wrote in message
On sites I've used up to now electric was in price but going on one with slot
meter electric.
Do you think in general terms electric will be cheaper than my gas for the
fridge and same question for the heater.

Depends on what they charge

One "company" I know charge 2.95 a day to rent their electrical equipment

Their electricity is "FREE"

Their trips are set low , a kettle and a toaster will blow the trip

They're not around to reset the trip 'till the following morning , so 20 hours
with no electric

During the winter months I ran on gas ( 21.00 for a 19 Kg bottle ) which lasted
me 7 days

The heating ( gas ) was on permanently ( low ) , it got down to - 14C some nights

The electricity for the lights , pump and radio came from 2 X 110 Amp Hr
Batteries charged from the auxiliary socket of the car

The price of gas has gone through the roof ( AGAIN ) and I don't think the CC
likes gas bottles being used outside the gas locker

I think the saying you pays your money , you takes your choice is for you in this
one

DieSea

Old June 1st 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
writes
On sites I've used up to now electric was in price but going on one
with slot meter electric.
Do you think in general terms electric will be cheaper than my gas for
the fridge and same question for the heater.

To answer that you'd have to calculate the price per therm from each
source. And for that you'd need to know the price of your gas and the
price of the electricity.
Not sure where we're at on the legals. Can a site owner charge a mark-up
on the price from his electricity
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old June 1st 10, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , David
writes

Not sure where we're at on the legals. Can a site owner charge a mark-up on the
price from his electricity
--

Several years ago the Caravan Club used to charge an additional amount if you
wanted 240V electric

That changed when an EU Directive came in

I am not sure of the exact wording of that directive but now ALL caravan Club
pitches have electric included in the pitch fee

I know of one CL site in the Yorkshire area that was beginning to equip their
pitches with charging meters

The owner of that CL told me that they were allowed to charge but there was a
maximum mark-up ( per Unit ) that was allowed to be made

As I've previously mentioned one or two site operators seem to have found a way
around the EU directive by charging for the HIRE of their supply of their
electrical equipment and not for the supply of electricity.

I'm sure these operators have looked into the legal niceties to make sure they're
remaining within the relevant EU directives

Regards to all

DieSea

Old June 2nd 10, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David[_12_]

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:56:08 +0100, "DieSea"
wrote:

I am not sure of the exact wording of that directive but now ALL caravan Club
pitches have electric included in the pitch fee

Not all! Off to a CC site where about 40% of the pitches are electric free.
Very quiet and very little electrical noise to spoil my radio activity :-)

You are right on the EU directive bit though I too cannot remember the exact
wording.

Dave
Old June 14th 10, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Back now.
5 nights on the CL site and 3 into meter.
Was some left from previous user so say another 1 used.

Old June 14th 10, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"David" wrote in message
Back now.
5 nights on the CL site and 3 into meter.
Was some left from previous user so say another 1 used.

Site near Doncaster ( Yorkshire ) ????

DieSea

Old June 15th 10, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"DieSea" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Back now.
5 nights on the CL site and 3 into meter.
Was some left from previous user so say another 1 used.

Site near Doncaster ( Yorkshire ) ????

DieSea

No, it was near Loughbough.

Old July 5th 10, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

It used to be 2 a night extra for electric and you had a choice on some
site, but I see now it is included in a lot of site fees anyway and there is
no choice, depends where you go. I think my husband says the gas would be
cheaper but it is sometimes convenience to have electric and you can run
more on it if there is a choice.
We go to steam rallies, just a bare field, there is no electric and I do
miss it, we are thinking of buying a generator to charge things like my
mobility scooter or perhaps a solar panel, sometimes I would like to use the
computer or my sewing machine if the weather is bad or I get bored. What
would be the best, at the moment we use an inverter for the tv and only go
maximum of three days at a time so we just last.
Liz