Generators

Old June 9th 10, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

Default Generators

In message , Liz Hall
writes
We go to loads of classic car meetings and steam fairs and of course, many
of the people there have generators and use them quite a lot. We are
surprised how quiet they seem these days. So much so that we are thinking of
buying one to use to charge our mobility scooter, run tv etc. and possibly
try some cl's I know the Hondas are good but expensive, anyone recommend
any other make. Thanks
Liz

Hi Liz

To be honest the old maxim 'you get what you pay for' seems to apply
well to generators. Apart from the very occasional trip in the van when
a generator is needed, I keep the generator at home because we live way
out in the sticks. The mains power here is not always reliable in winter
gales, making a generator essential.

Over the years I've had several of the cheaper machines, all of which
have proved to be unsatisfactory in some way (noisy/smoky etc.) and
unreliable. I bought a Honda 1.0 about six or seven years ago now and
it's never missed a beat, it also supplies a very steady voltage, making
it suitable to power anything.

We're off in the van next week and may need the generator for a night or
two. It's not been used since the last power cut here, in January, I
tested it earlier and, as expected, it fired on the first pull of the
cord.

Just my opinion, best of luck anyway.

--

Jim
Old June 9th 10, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message

[...]

In all honesty who does need generators

We had our caravan in Scotland for nearly 6 months returning every other weekend
for 4 or 5 days

During that time we only used mains electricity provided by the site for the first
5 days ( it was rather problematical )

For the rest of the time we used propane and two 110 amp leisure batteries (
charged during our journeys to and from )

We ran the heating on gas permanently ( the fridge we didn't need it got down
to -15 C at one point !! )

The batteries provided the lighting , the warm air heating fan , the radio / tape
and recharged the netbook / mobile phone

Now we now know what to expect and how to keep warm , we're considering doing it
again this coming winter season

Its fun , we made some good friends ( some who thought we were totally BONKERS )

But it was no more than storing the van over winter locally

The price of gas may be a problem next year , last Christmas a 47 KG bottle was
about 75 pence a KG

I'm told a 19 KG bottle is now well over 33.00 (Dec 09 it was 21.00 )

It certainly worked cheaper than paying the site for electric that tripped if you
ran more than 1KW and couldn't find the "Site Manager", Who went missing 20 hours
a day to reset the trip !!

DieSea

Old June 10th 10, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , DieSea
writes

In all honesty who does need generators

Erm ........... us on a wild winter night, when the power to the house
goes down for a couple of days.

There's more to generators, and real life, than swanning about in a
caravan, pretending to be at one with nature.

I was merely offering my opinion on the performance of generators, a
genuine need for which I doubt will ever be an issue in your 'back to
basics' life. Before no doubt you head for your suburban home.
--

Jim
Old June 10th 10, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , DieSea
writes

In all honesty who does need generators

What on earth makes you feel you have the right to judge on what other
people may, or may not, need?

Apologies for the second posting, meant to put that comment in my
original reply.

--

Jim
Old June 10th 10, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , DieSea
writes

In all honesty who does need generators

What on earth makes you feel you have the right to judge on what other people
may, or may not, need?

Apologies for the second posting, meant to put that comment in my original
reply.

--

Jim

Jim

All I was saying was are generators a necessity

Even in today's technology

My lad lives on a narrowboat , his power is derived from solar panels and a wind
turbine

If you live out in the sticks and have power problems , that's your choice

As a youngster ( 60 years back ) I lived in a community that had no electricity

Heating , lighting and refrigeration was done with gas (bottles) or paraffin

As a caravanner its possible to live without generators

Most caravan club sites and many 5 van sites ( CL's ) provide electric

IF you HAVE to have electricity to provide your life style then use one of those
sites

Me if I'm away for the weekend and on a non electric site I don't want some one
next door to me running a noisy generator

And by the way

I've been caravanning for over 40 years , in those early days you only had gas for
lighting heating and cooking

DieSea

Old June 10th 10, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , DieSea
writes

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , DieSea
writes

In all honesty who does need generators

What on earth makes you feel you have the right to judge on what
other people
may, or may not, need?

Apologies for the second posting, meant to put that comment in my original
reply.

--

Jim

Jim

All I was saying was are generators a necessity

Even in today's technology

My lad lives on a narrowboat , his power is derived from solar panels
and a wind
turbine

Good on your lad, I envy him. The thing is though he is aware of his
situation and has sensibly planned to live with it. For people living in
houses, or having the odd caravan trip it isn't unreasonable for them to
rely on mains electricity. Neither is it unreasonable for them to resort
to a generator as necessary.

If you live out in the sticks and have power problems , that's your choice

Of course it's my choice but it's not for you to say whether or not, I
need a generator.

As a caravanner its possible to live without generators

For most of us able bodied people yes that's true. Not everybody is
fortunate enough to be able bodied however, generators may well be
necessary to enable some to enjoy caravanning. If a generator is needed,
so be it, the main thing is people can get some fun out of life. It's
not for you, or me, to decide what should be used when caravanning, we
all have our own requirements.

I've been caravanning for over 40 years , in those early days you only
had gas for
lighting heating and cooking

Thankfully those early days have passed, yes I recall caravanning 40
years ago too. Life moves on, not always for the best either, but when
it comes down to caravanning give me the 21st century over the mid 20th
century any day.

--

Jim
Old June 10th 10, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

DieSea wrote:

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
... In message
, DieSea
writes

In all honesty who does need generators

What on earth makes you feel you have the right to judge on what
other people may, or may not, need?

I agree with this ..

All I was saying was are generators a necessity

Even in today's technology

Yes, sometimes.

As a caravanner its possible to live without generators

For 'caravanning' and holidaying maybe ... others may need a generator,
but that surely depends on what you're using the caravan for. Did you
read the OP and what his uses for one are? It certainly doesn't look
like it ...

Most caravan club sites and many 5 van sites ( CL's ) provide electric

The OP wasn't on about caravan sites ....

IF you HAVE to have electricity to provide your life style then use
one of those sites

The OP specifically mentioned classic car meetings and Steam fairs NOT
caravan sites.

Me if I'm away for the weekend and on a non electric site I don't
want some one next door to me running a noisy generator

Good for you. Your sanctimonious attitude is probably what puts people
off caravanners .. we're discussing generators in fields, not what
people do on sites.

And by the way

I've been caravanning for over 40 years , in those early days you
only had gas for lighting heating and cooking

Good for you. see above ..

Sorry, but you've gone way off track of what the OP asked about, which
is nothing to do with caravan sites and facilities therein.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old June 10th 10, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
DieSea wrote:

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
... In message
, DieSea
writes

[...]

Quote "and possibly try some cl's" Unquote

I'm afraid you've not read the OP either.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old June 11th 10, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

hugh wrote:

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
DieSea wrote:

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
... In message
, DieSea
writes

[...]

"and possibly" .. not the main use.

Old June 11th 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
hugh wrote:

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
DieSea wrote:

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
... In message
, DieSea
writes

[...]

I didn't say it was. I merely point it out to show it is OT to raise
issues regarding use of generators on caravan sites in response to the
OP.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha