Awning what to do?

Old June 19th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Default Awning what to do?

Have just bought an old prompto folding caravan and it came with an
awning in nice condition plus toilet tent and inner tent etc.
We went on a few days holiday just to try the unit out and the only
problem we had was the awning would not fit correctly.
The owner of the site said it was too big and told us how to measure
the A-A measurement ie: floor and around the channel to floor again.
The measurement is 750cm and when i looked on the awning labels it
said NR Nova rust colour 15 foot.
I spoke to the previous owner and he had never put the awning up as it
came with the van when he bought it.

The problem is the only way I can get it to fit is to push the rope up
the channel and leave a loop on both ends.
take a loot at the photos here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g4jnw/4713913356/
As I can't get details of the prompto folding caravan apart from a
plate on the van saying Prompto, Carapli, 76160 Darnetal, France, Im
not sure what awnings others have on.
Folding caravans channels can't go all the way up the sides and over
the top like ordinary vans because they fold so there tends to be an
overhang where the top section fits over the bottom when it folds up.

Now what to do?

1) try and sell the awning - doubt I'll get a lot for it as it will be
a few years old, and buy another?
2) try and get it shortened - anyone know the cost of this and place
near our location - carlisle, cumbria?
3) could there be problems due to the overhang of the "lid" on the van
- maybe thats why the original owner bought a larger model?

I'll put some more pics on my flick site of the van to show the shape
if i can.

The esterel is similar - anyone got one and if so what awning do you
use?
Old June 19th 10, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"les" wrote in message

Now what to do?

http://www.nrawning.co.uk/contact.php
Have a word with NR, have heard their customer service is good.

Old June 19th 10, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"les" wrote in message
[...]

Les

Google "how to measure a caravan awning"

Talk to NR Awnings In Todmorden , their telephone number is in the book

Their after sales reputation is superb , at least was in the last few years

Good Luck

DieSea

Old June 19th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:24:41 -0700 (PDT), les
wrote:

The measurement is 750cm and when i looked on the awning labels it
said NR Nova rust colour 15 foot.
I spoke to the previous owner and he had never put the awning up as it
came with the van when he bought it.

The awning is massively too big, an NR 15' awning has an A
measurement of 850 cm your caravan has an A measurement of 750cm and
even if the awning you had were reduced by the metre required it would
still never look to be a fit. Have a look on the NR site,
http://www.nrawning.co.uk/

But you would be best advised to look around for a secondhand Isabella
750cm awning have a look on ebay but the 750 is a very small size and
does not appear very often though there are usually lots of 775's.
Bill Lord

Old June 19th 10, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

les wrote:

The measurement is 750cm and when i looked on the awning labels it
said NR Nova rust colour 15 foot.

Way too big .. not worth trying to cut down as it won't fit at the
front/sides properly, it'd always look 'wrong'. (BTDTGTTS)

1) try and sell the awning - doubt I'll get a lot for it as it will be
a few years old, and buy another?

As above ...

Look for porch awnings that attach only along the top and use
elastics(whatever) to close the sides. For your size caravan they'll
probably fit well or may even be too big ..

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old June 19th 10, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Look for porch awnings that attach only along the top and use
elastics(whatever) to close the sides. *For your size caravan they'll
probably fit well or may even be too big ..

Thanks Paul - just phoned awnings direct and the guy says there that
the porch awnings dont fit folders - bugger would have been an
alternative - may just have to live with the baggy ends.
Did find out though that my prompto folding van was actually made in
the 80s by Esterel so no wonder they are identical!

Also I found from another email that I wont get a snug fit from any
awning due to the overhang from the roof so a bit stuffed really.

I would like to find someone with a small esterel who had solved or
not the awning issue.

I really like the idea of an awning though as we ate outside and the
dog slept in it plus used it as a store area.

Old June 19th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

les wrote:

Look for porch awnings that attach only along the top and use
elastics(whatever) to close the sides. *For your size caravan
they'll probably fit well or may even be too big ..

Thanks Paul - just phoned awnings direct and the guy says there that
the porch awnings dont fit folders - bugger would have been an
alternative - may just have to live with the baggy ends.
Did find out though that my prompto folding van was actually made in
the 80s by Esterel so no wonder they are identical!

Also I found from another email that I wont get a snug fit from any
awning due to the overhang from the roof so a bit stuffed really.

I would like to find someone with a small esterel who had solved or
not the awning issue.

I really like the idea of an awning though as we ate outside and the
dog slept in it plus used it as a store area.

We have a small 'normal' 'van and use either a canopy ..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/...01de082a_o.jpg

a porch awning ...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/...21a9eb8e_b.jpg

Or a full awning ..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/...770a56d9_b.jpg

or even just a gazebo, depending upon needs, length of time we're
staying and what we're doing while we're there!

if you're anywhere near Doncaster some time you're welsome to try the
porch or canopy to see what it fits like.

Old June 19th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett[_2_]

les wrote:
[...]

I am far from being an expert, having bought our first proper caravan
last year but....
We have a 12 ft Gobur, which has a 700mm awning rail, but they also do a
10ft caravan which, logically, would have a smaller awning. I think
there awnings are made for them, but they do have second hand ones.
Might be worth a call, very friendly people - 01263 860031
Old June 19th 10, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Managed to get hold of an NR capricorn 750cm
Just to sell my NR Nova now.
I do like the quality of NR awnings so was pleased to get hold of
another.
Have put it on the local carboot site for carlisle for 35 just for a
quick sale.

Old June 19th 10, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

On 19 June, 17:28, les wrote:
Managed to get hold of an NR capricorn 750cm
Just to sell my NR Nova now.

Just realised while sending pictures to someone its not a Nova its a
Roma - silly boy