Does one have to buy Michelin?

Old April 9th 10, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

Default Does one have to buy Michelin?

"aiden" wrote in message
snip

What a star!

:-)

Just thought of something else - don't know where you're having them fitted,
but be careful of the valves if they replace.

I suspect you've already got metal valves (though some vehicles were
delivered with rubber and subject to a subsequent recall, including by Swift
and at the rough vintage of your 'van).

This gives some background
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-14127.html

At your newly quoted pressures you might just be marginal, at 80psi it just
has to be metal bolt-in valves.

I'd insist on them, and check at replacement.

Sorry to give you something else to 'entertain' you, but best be safe.

Old April 10th 10, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aiden

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:48:34 +0100, "bob douglas"
wrote:

"aiden" wrote in message
.. .
snip

What a star!

:-)

Just thought of something else - don't know where you're having them fitted,
but be careful of the valves if they replace.

I suspect you've already got metal valves (though some vehicles were
delivered with rubber and subject to a subsequent recall, including by Swift
and at the rough vintage of your 'van).

This gives some background
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-14127.html

At your newly quoted pressures you might just be marginal, at 80psi it just
has to be metal bolt-in valves.

I'd insist on them, and check at replacement.

Sorry to give you something else to 'entertain' you, but best be safe.

Again, Bob, thanks for that - hadn't given it a thought! Yes, the
current valves are meta, BUT should I be expecting them to be replaced
with new ones anyway, as well as the tyres? They seem pretty permanent
and in reasonable "nick" (knick???). Should I have them done?

Got a feeling, if they are replaced, they'll charge me same again as
the tyres! :-[

Any further observations gratefully received.

Old April 10th 10, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"aiden" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:48:34 +0100, "bob douglas"
wrote:

"aiden" wrote in message
. ..
snip

What a star!

:-)

[...]

Must admit, you're at the edge of my experience now - In 20 odd years I've
never had motorhome tyres changed (though the current 'van has been with us
long enough to be approaching it).

I mentioned it because it is something I was resolved to check if/when *I*
do replacement (and then when I went searching for the link to give you some
background, I realised that the original Swift recall, which I knew about,
was around the build date of your van, so there was a double reason for
flagging).

I'm not sure what the policy is on metal valve replacements - I'm a bit
cynical of the practice of always replacing rubber valves on cars - seeing
it as a bit of an extra earner for the fitters - but I always let them fit
new valves. (It *could* be seen as safety related).

Not all fitters stock metal valves, and in that case, they may leave as-is,
or be tempted to use replacement rubber ones (a definite no-no).

Unless someone else can throw light on the service-life of bolt-in metal
valves, then You're either going to have to go with the fitter's opinion, or
make your own mind up ;-). Just make sure you end up with some from of
metal bolt-in.

Old April 10th 10, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins[_3_]

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:01:40 +0100, "bob douglas"
wrote:
"aiden" wrote
"bob douglas" wrote:
"aiden" wrote
snip

What a star!

:-)

[...]

On the 'experts', Schrader, webpage at :
http://www.schrader.fr/en/valve.htm
There's a .pdf file, 'Rubber-coated tubeless automobile valves'
which tells you, 'Why change the valve ?'

The .pdf file also quotes for rubber valves, a maximum working
pressure of 4.5 bars (65 psi)

Unless someone else can throw light on the service-life of bolt-in metal
valves, then You're either going to have to go with the fitter's opinion, or
make your own mind up ;-).

Bear in mind that even a metal valve still has a 'rubber' seal !
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
Old April 10th 10, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aiden

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:22:14 +0100, Josiah Jenkins
wrote:
SNIP
Unless someone else can throw light on the service-life of bolt-in metal
valves, then You're either going to have to go with the fitter's opinion, or
make your own mind up ;-).

SNIP
Minds made up - we'll, erm, erm, erm, leave them as they are - next
thing we know the fitter will b---er (bugger!) up the rims trying to
get the old ones out. They've worked all this time at 80psi - they
won't know themselves at 50/60 :-}

Thanks again for all your help - and, note, we've managed to get
through all this without arguments or trolls - must be some sort of
record for this group! Unless anyone wants to differ!!? ;-}

Old April 13th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aiden

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:36:00 +0100, aiden
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:22:14 +0100, Josiah Jenkins
wrote:
SNIP
Unless someone else can throw light on the service-life of bolt-in metal
valves, then You're either going to have to go with the fitter's opinion, or
make your own mind up ;-).

SNIP
Minds made up - we'll, erm, erm, erm, leave them as they are - next
thing we know the fitter will b---er (bugger!) up the rims trying to
get the old ones out. They've worked all this time at 80psi - they
won't know themselves at 50/60 :-}

Thanks again for all your help - and, note, we've managed to get
through all this without arguments or trolls - must be some sort of
record for this group! Unless anyone wants to differ!!? ;-}

Yes, got them! It seems we found just about the last 4 VancoCampers
our size in the UK - spoke to Continental yesterday to be told that
one customer had phoned virtually all the dealers in UK without any
luck! Not ours tho' ! Phew!They confirmed no more due till end of May!

Anyway, 40 miles on, they seem very quiet much quieter than the
Michelins, and what a difference to the ride at the correct pressures
- F51, R62. The whole van feels very much mor stable - even in the
windy conditions today.

Thanks again.

Old April 15th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ian

On 7 Apr, 17:05, aiden wrote:
Have recently bought a used 2004 Swift Sundance 530LP.

Tyres are crazed even tho' only done 12000m - Michelin Camping Xs

So thinking we should change them all.

Continental 215/70/R15 - 85
Michelin 215/70/R15C -118

Are Michelin safer, better, only ones we should buy?

Are the Continental designed for motorcampers?

You can see the price difference - which is quite important to us.

Any advice much appreciated

Aiden J

The Michelin Tyre is a really good quality tyre, but it is not
necessary to purchase such a high quality tyre for this type of usage.
Continental are a reasonably good make also. The Michelin tyres tend
to give better miles per pound. However on a MotorCamper are you doing
lots of miles?

I personally would stay with the Continental unless you are doing lots
of Mileage. As long as you get the correct tyre size to match, the
make is not important.

Ian

National Breakdown