12v external socket

Old July 13th 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Default 12v external socket

I'd like to use a coolbox in my awning. My coolbox is fitted with a car
cigarrete lighter-type plug, which I need to retain because I also use the
coolbox away from the caravan. However, I can't find a spash-proof,
surface-mounted socket suitable to fit to the outside of the caravan. Do
these exist? If so, who supplies them?

Alternatively, I've found a flush-fitting, panel-mounted socket in the
Maplins catalogue. Are splash-proof housings available suitable for these?

TIA,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old July 13th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek

"Derek" wrote in message
owing to the amps consumed by these boxes (4 amps) I would purchase a

mains
adapter which you just plug in a mains socket they are very good and run
quite cool,then you wont be pulling the stuffing from your battery,also

you
can use them to run any other 12v device up to the max 5 amps. Derek

Sorry I forgot to say towsure sell these mains adapters which have an
inbuilt cigar lighter socket in them.

Old July 13th 03, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:28:17 GMT, Geoff Lane
wrote:

| I'd like to use a coolbox in my awning. My coolbox is fitted with a car
| cigarrete lighter-type plug, which I need to retain because I also use the
| coolbox away from the caravan. However, I can't find a spash-proof,
| surface-mounted socket suitable to fit to the outside of the caravan. Do
| these exist? If so, who supplies them?
|
| Alternatively, I've found a flush-fitting, panel-mounted socket in the
| Maplins catalogue. Are splash-proof housings available suitable for these?

Fit a standard cigarette lighter plug in the battery compartment or front
locker, if in the right place, and run the coolbox from that.

Dave F

Old July 13th 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

Fit a standard cigarette lighter plug in the battery compartment or front
locker, if in the right place, and run the coolbox from that.

Thanks Dave,

I'd thought of splicing a trailing socket to the battery leads. However, I
haven't got room for the coolbox in the front locker and I don't like the
idea of trailing cables out of the locker door, which has interlocking
flanges on the door and the front panel that would probably chafe the
cable.

I've sourced a suitable socket. All I need is a splash-proof, flush-
mounting housing, but the only housings that I've found already have
something else (e.g. a mains connector) fitted.

Thanks again,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old July 13th 03, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:23:36 GMT, Geoff Lane
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote in
| :
|
| Fit a standard cigarette lighter plug in the battery compartment or front
| locker, if in the right place, and run the coolbox from that.

| I'd thought of splicing a trailing socket to the battery leads. However, I
| haven't got room for the coolbox in the front locker and I don't like the
| idea of trailing cables out of the locker door, which has interlocking
| flanges on the door and the front panel that would probably chafe the
| cable.

Front lockers contain LPG and therefor have large holes on the bottom.
Mine would take several dozen wires.

Dave F

Old July 13th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

I'd thought of splicing a trailing socket to the battery leads. However, I
haven't got room for the coolbox in the front locker and I don't like the
idea of trailing cables out of the locker door, which has interlocking
flanges on the door and the front panel that would probably chafe the
cable.

I've sourced a suitable socket. All I need is a splash-proof, flush-
mounting housing, but the only housings that I've found already have
something else (e.g. a mains connector) fitted.

I wanted to do the exact same thing last year (camper van with a roll out
awning, but not that different),

In the end i bought a caravan external mains socket, it's like flush mains
inlet socket housings.. lift up flap, but reveals a 13 amp socket, there is
a version available with a fag lighter socket above the mains socket, that
makes the housing another few inches taller, and it's already a good 6
inches tall.

For me i got the cheaper mains only outlet, and fitted a 12 volt caravan 2
bladed type plug above the mains socket.. the small square type, it fitted
on the top wall of the housing, so the plug is inserted from below, fitted
neatly over the mains plug, and had plenty of room to plug the 12 volt plug
in, and have something mains plugged in too.

It did need a large cut out in the side of the van, i had no problem with
that (heck, i'd cut larger out for hte water heater, windows, even a 450mm
square out of the rood for the roof light, so what was another smaller cut
out

i was cutting through steel, panel van conversion, so a caravan is easier..
just a stanley knife and a straight edge needed, and it looke neat when
finished.

I wired 12 volts to the 12 volt socket through a switch inside the van, and
i also put a double pole change over switch inside the van, so i could route
shore power mains to the outside socket, or inverter mains to it, or have
the mains socket turned off from inside the van (and i did use a break
before make switch, people had a go at me last year when i mentioned i'd put
a switch to divert inverter power to the outside socket, moaning that the
inverter has no earth, so i was breaking the law.. well the socket had earth
from the uninterupted mains earth wire from the consumer unit, and bonded to
the van's chassis)

I put this socket in solely to get 12 volts to the coolbox i was taking with
me to free up space in the fridge when we went round europe, during travel
the coolbox lived just inside the door of the van, strapped in place using
some of those luggage straps you screw to the boot floor in cars.. used
sideways and screwed to the wall, a 12 volt plug nearby ran the coolbox when
on the move,
when we parked up, the coolbox lived under the van (fitted perfectly up
under the chassis, sat just inside 2 outriggers as if i'd measured it)
and it was powered from the outside 12 volt part of the socket, at first i
used an adaptor i made up, a fag lighter socket to a caravan style 2 pin 12
volt plug, but the fag lighter cosket and coolbox's plug got too hot for my
liking (it does this in normal use in a car fag lighter cosket too)
So i cut the coolbox fag lighter plug off, and wired it to the caravan 12
volt plug to plug directly and firmly into the 2 bladed plug in the outside
socket i put in,
When i got home i made an adapter up the other way round, fag lighter plug
to caravan type 12 volt socket, so when used in a car i use the adaptor, and
the fag lighter plug gets warm as normal, but the adaptor plug and socket
dont, when in the caravan the adaptor is removed.

I do have a mains adaptor for the coolbox, but didnt take it with us, as the
van has a battery charger, so that does the same thing.. provides the
current taken by the coolbox from the leisure battery when on shore power at
a camp site, the charger would be on anyway.

Towsure sell the outside mains socket last time i looked, both types but o
would never get the fag lighter version because the fag lighter sockets and
plugs get warm in use, just by their design,
lowdham caravans (notts branch) also sold both types of outside socket, but
wanted about a tenner more for each one than mail order companies,
i found the mains only version at my local caravan shop for about 10 quid,
1.50 for the 12 volt socket, and i was set (for me i added the change over
switch, and box to house it in for controlling the sockets from inside the
van.. that was handy as the fan on the coolbox was on it's way out and
noisey, so i switched the coolbox off at night, and when i woke the next
day, i reached out from the bed and switched it back on)

Old July 13th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"CampinGazz" wrote in
:

Towsure sell the outside mains socket last time i looked, both types
but o would never get the fag lighter version because the fag lighter
sockets and plugs get warm in use, just by their design [snip]

Thanks for the pointer and also the benefit of your experiences. I'd
checked Towsure, but was looking for 12v, not mains. I've now found the
product you mentioned. Having both 230vAC and 12v available in the awning
sounds good.

Thanks again,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old July 13th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

Fit a standard cigarette lighter plug in the battery compartment or

front
locker, if in the right place, and run the coolbox from that.

Thanks Dave,

I'd thought of splicing a trailing socket to the battery leads. However, I
haven't got room for the coolbox in the front locker and I don't like the
idea of trailing cables out of the locker door, which has interlocking
flanges on the door and the front panel that would probably chafe the
cable.

I've sourced a suitable socket. All I need is a splash-proof, flush-
mounting housing, but the only housings that I've found already have
something else (e.g. a mains connector) fitted.

Have you really thought about the power consumption from the caravan
battery, I suspect that it would run down fairly quickly if you were to run
the coolbox for more than about half an hour.

Alan

Old July 15th 03, 06:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

Have you really thought about the power consumption from the caravan
battery, I suspect that it would run down fairly quickly if you were
to run the coolbox for more than about half an hour.

Yes, I have thought about power consumption. I have a 110Ah battery and the
coolbox is rated at 40W, which equates to about 3.5A. So, the coolbox will
take over a day to fully discharge the battery. However, I have a 10A
charger fitted to the caravan, which is more than adequate to run the
coolbox and the existing 12v equipment. I only plan to use the coolbox when
on mains, so there shouldn't be a problem (at least, not with power
consumption).

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK