mozzies

Old June 20th 10, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A Plumber

Default mozzies

Hi All,

Thinking of tugging the van up to Oban, late August, does anyone know what
the approx end of the Mozzie season is?

Thanks in Advance

Old June 20th 10, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:45:25 +0100, "A Plumber"
wrote:

Hi All,

Thinking of tugging the van up to Oban, late August, does anyone know what
the approx end of the Mozzie season is?

Thanks in Advance

December 31st and it starts again on January 1st. Seriously I have
been up there in late September and they are still about, and been in
May and still found them, However, I am sure that they view me as a
prime carcass as I always get eaten alive and my wife never does.

Bill Lord

Old June 20th 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

wrote:

Hi All,

Thinking of tugging the van up to Oban, late August, does anyone know what
the approx end of the Mozzie season is?

Thanks in Advance

December 31st and it starts again on January 1st. Seriously I have
been up there in late September and they are still about, and been in
May and still found them, However, I am sure that they view me as a
prime carcass as I always get eaten alive and my wife never does.

Bill Lord

Lived in Scotland since birth and never experienced any
mozzies...........you must be thinking of midges..........1/4 the size,
quieter and, I believe, deadlier! Best remedy is to use Avon "skin so soft".
It actually works! Coastal areas seem to be better (such as Oban) as the
breeze keeps them away and they tend to like sheltered areas such as under
trees

Regards,
Ian

Old June 20th 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , A
Plumber writes
Hi All,

Thinking of tugging the van up to Oban, late August, does anyone know what
the approx end of the Mozzie season is?

Thanks in Advance

Midges are the problem in Scotland, we have the same little beggars here
in the Isle of Man. Like flying specks of dust except, unlike dust, they
bite.

There's not really a season for midges, you won't find them around in
cold weather but once it gets milder, the midges are about. Best thing
is an insect repellent applied to your skin. Little else works, I have
heard about the Avon cream being effective, though never used it myself.

Don't let the midges put you off, Scotland is a lovely country.
--

Jim
Old June 25th 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Jim Kewley wrote:
In message , A
Plumber writes
Hi All,

Thinking of tugging the van up to Oban, late August, does anyone know
what
the approx end of the Mozzie season is?

Thanks in Advance

Midges are the problem in Scotland, we have the same little beggars here
in the Isle of Man. Like flying specks of dust except, unlike dust, they
bite.

There's not really a season for midges, you won't find them around in
cold weather but once it gets milder, the midges are about. Best thing
is an insect repellent applied to your skin. Little else works, I have
heard about the Avon cream being effective, though never used it myself.

Don't let the midges put you off, Scotland is a lovely country.

You'll potentially still have trouble in late August. Come September
it's tending to get too windy for midges.

You've got to learn to live with the little bu**ers! Learn to read the
conditions and anticipate when they may be an issue. Take repellent
action, if that's what you choose, before being attacked rather than
after. Autan works for me. I'm undecided about the Avon product. Off!
(Johnson & Johnson) is excellent but you'll have to buy in USA or
Scandanavia even though it's made in Liverpool!

Midges have three needs: calm, moisture and warmth. If any one of these
is absent you'll have few problems.

I presume that you can't control the weather but there are some obvious
things that you can avoid. Don't pitch in long grass (source of moisture
and calm), don't pitch in Caravan Club type sites where there are small
areas enclosed by greenery (provides calm and often moisture). Do pitch
where you will get the advantage of any breeze that is available, avoid
anything giving shelter.

As Jim and others say, don't let the midges spoil your experience of
Scotland. They're like the weather - frequently much less of a problem
than you are told!