Folding caravan and tv antennas?

Old June 24th 10, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Default Folding caravan and tv antennas?

I have a folding caravan and was going to get a TV antenna for
freeview and have seen loads of these round omnidirectional ones on
ordinary caravans - has anyone got experience of fitting one of these
to a folder?

I have a flat plate type antenna at home on my portable which works a
treat but we are in a strong area for TV signals and not sure if that
will be any good for caravan use.
Old June 24th 10, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"les" wrote in message
I have a folding caravan and was going to get a TV antenna for
freeview and have seen loads of these round omnidirectional ones on
ordinary caravans - has anyone got experience of fitting one of these
to a folder?

I have a flat plate type antenna at home on my portable which works a
treat but we are in a strong area for TV signals and not sure if that
will be any good for caravan use.

As you have a choice do not use an omni-directional one.
Use a normal (Wide Band) house aerial on a pole fitted to your A-frame.
If you not a DIY person many brackets available from a caravan dealer.
(Do not buy a fancy plastic looking aerial at a caravan dealer.)

Old June 24th 10, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pedro[_2_]

On 24/06/2010 08:24, David wrote:

"les" wrote in message
I have a folding caravan and was going to get a TV antenna for
freeview and have seen loads of these round omnidirectional ones on
ordinary caravans - has anyone got experience of fitting one of these
to a folder?

I have a flat plate type antenna at home on my portable which works a
treat but we are in a strong area for TV signals and not sure if that
will be any good for caravan use.

As you have a choice do not use an omni-directional one.
Use a normal (Wide Band) house aerial on a pole fitted to your A-frame.
If you not a DIY person many brackets available from a caravan dealer.
(Do not buy a fancy plastic looking aerial at a caravan dealer.)

Lee
Don't even bother looking at the round omni-directional aerials. They
only work if you're in a strong signal area. My van had one fitted from
new. It's a total waste of time & money unless you're in a high
strength area where a bent coat-hanger would do fine. Vans with these
aerials play Scrabble!

With a poor Freeview aerial signal you get a still picture which changes
every few minutes. The signal strength often switches from say 75% to
0% every minute or so rendering the channels useless. A signal
amplifier does not really help. You need a proper 'domestic' aerial.

Some brackets use the jockey wheel to hold a plate firmly on the ground.
You may find that this is a good solution.

David's advice is sound and is probably the best solution for those not
having the inbuilt directional aerial which can be switched from
horizontal to vertical transmissions.

Best of luck

Pedro

Old June 24th 10, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Thanks guys, I have a spare TV aerial in the loft I think I'll take
that with us and try that.
If it works ok will get or make a bracket for it.

I was going to pack the TV but have picked up one of those freeview
dongles for 4 from ebay and it came with a little vertical aerial and
it works really well on my macbook so that will save space (get a
really good HD picture on the mac) but as i said earlier im in a good
reception area.

If it fails will get a freesat kit from maplins but then will have to
take the TV as i don't think there is a freesat dongle yet for mac's
Old June 25th 10, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike[_12_]

"les" wrote in message
[...]

I have a narrow boat and of course fixing a aerial to the boat is not the
best option because when you move in the boat, it rocks. (used to be "if
this boats rocking, don't come aknocking." Not any more.)

The best way would be to drive a metal rod into the ground and push the
aerial pole onto it pushing the tube into the stake a couple of inches to
stop it turning. A four foot pole should be long enough with a domestic
aerial atop.
Cheaper than brackets on the jockey wheel.
Mike
Mon & Brec Canal

Old June 26th 10, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les[_2_]

Mike thanks for the advice - as soon as you said drive a pole into the
ground a light went on.
I saw a guy while in greece fishing of the beach and he used a great
device called a sand spike for holding the rod, I fish and usually
carry a tripod but have just found mini ones on ebay that fold - Im
gonna get one of those for fishing but looking at the design it may be
of use for standing a pole in - not sure but may do 2 jobs!