Tip-up sink problem

Old June 28th 10, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Default Tip-up sink problem

I have a problem with the tip-up sink in the toilet compartment
of my 2006 Lunar Stellar.

The sink bowl has a waste outlet, from which a flexible pipe
runs, concealed between the top and bottom sink mouldings, which
are permanently glued together.

In normal use, you remove the plug to let out the water through
the drain, then (when it is empty) tip the sink. There is a
shallow recess to catch any remaining drips.

There now appears to be a leak, as when the sink is tipped, water
gushes from between the mouldings.

Naturally, the back panel is a snug fit in the compartment, also
has fittings for the shower and hot air outlet, and is liberally
sealed in place.

I'm not sure if the sink pivot can be sprung from the back panel,
but even if it can, I don't see that I could do much about what
is going on inside the assembly.

Has anybody else had this problem, and how was it fixed?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old June 30th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Hutson

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

SNAP

My stellar is two years older than yours but I had the same problem two
years ago. Afterwards I had the thought that the problem might have arisen
by being in high temperature

The information I had from a dealer was that to sort out the problem that
the whole vanity unit had to be removed. but don't despair, read on.

Please excuse typos as I've just had a cataract op and vision is a problem
at the molment especially with a bright screen

Yes, the sink does come out by squeezing, there is a spigot each side.

I'm a litte vague about one or two things but here goes.

DON'T try to do anything by removing the screw holding the drain in place,
unless you are very patient and have a love of puzzles.

The drain is connected to the sink fixture by a length of flexible hose
which is attached to amooth 'tube' under the drain hole (Ie waste takes a
sharp right angled bend) There is quite a decent length of flexible hose.
The hose is attached by a sealant. What happened in my case was that the
sealant had failed and the hose was in the process of cloming off.

All you have to do is to clear the old sealant off and replace with new.
Easy... but it ain't

I got the information from a very helpful chap at the sink manufacturer
whose information is actually inside the sink.

The sealant used is not the cheap stuff, but you will find it on the same
shelf as the rest I used Unibond No More Nails ULTRA instant grab POWER.
(Excuse capitals just telliing you what to look for) Just in case there are
others make sure it is waterproof.. You will also need some of the ordinary
sealant .

Remove the sink an pull off the flexible tube which will come off easily if
it hasn't already

The sink is in two parts top and bottom which have to be separated. This is
best done at the kitchen table . You will see the join I usedd a flexible
sharp disposable knife to gently carefully delicately softly avoiding
swearing techniqe to to it and i used slomdething to stop the two parts
sticking together again. I know I tried using just about every knife kin the
kitchen drawer and plasic bags

Clean the old sealant off as best you can , prepare a pile of cardboard
boxes and such like to support the sink when you have joined up the bits to
give it time to set//cure.

The advice I was given was to use a product which 'melts' the plastic to
join the sink bits together as in manufacture but rehearsals told me that
it would be a non starter as it was a fiddle to get the two halves together
again so I used ordinary sealant instead. I also thought that should the
problem recur then it would be easier next time. Do rehearse putting the
bits together before fitting together with sealant, technique improves with
practice Fit the bits together and leave to dry/cure on your pile of boxes.

Enjoy

Smiler

Wake me up to reply

Old June 30th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Hutson

"Alan Hutson" wrote in message

[...]

RE my last. My memory is fading fast. Its me age .....

Clarifying my dealer actually said that a new vanity unit would be required
so I thought what the heck I'll try an d repair. Another example of bad
design.

My door lock was playing up.. I ordered a new one last November it arrived
(A mere 43) in April but didn't have a barrell which was causing the
problem. So a new barrel has been ordered. Still waiting, but in the meatime
the problem has sorted itself.

Smiler

Old July 1st 10, 06:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Alan Hutson wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
I have a problem with the tip-up sink in the toilet compartment
of my 2006 Lunar Stellar.

SNAP

[snip details]

Thanks for that, I had already dived in, with much the same
results.

Once I had leaned on the pivot points, it came out
easily. An old knife managed to separate the two halves of the
sink with only minimal damage. Looks like it was solvent weld,
which only attacked small points of contact.

The flexible pipe had dropped off the tube inside. An
interference fit, with added sealant, but worked clean off. I
have renewed the sealant and added a jubilee clip.

I have used silicone to rejoin the mouldings, so that a
repeat process, if ever necessary, will be easier, and also
because that's what I have handy.

Chris