Driving Licence

Old July 14th 10, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Default Driving Licence

I am trying to find out the following information and have been given
differing answers from the Post Office and cannot contact the DVLA to speak
to anyone as I cannot find a number for personal callers.

Basically I am going to Portugal in September and wonder if I will have to
have a photocard licence to drive in that country, I hold a full driving
licence and have never had any endorsements, and was told by the Post
Office Clerk if I renew my licence now for a photocard licence it will last
10 years till I am 67. I have also been told by someone else who renewed
their licence recently all driving licences expire at 70 so I would only
have 3 years on the new photocard licence.

I have read the INF1D and D1 but couldn't find the answer

Liz

Old July 14th 10, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
I am trying to find out the following information and have been given
differing answers from the Post Office and cannot contact the DVLA to
speak to anyone as I cannot find a number for personal callers.

Basically I am going to Portugal in September and wonder if I will have to
have a photocard licence to drive in that country, I hold a full driving
licence and have never had any endorsements, and was told by the Post
Office Clerk if I renew my licence now for a photocard licence it will
last 10 years till I am 67. I have also been told by someone else who
renewed their licence recently all driving licences expire at 70 so I
would only have 3 years on the new photocard licence.

I have read the INF1D and D1 but couldn't find the answer

They did send me a new licence at 70 with less groups on it, can't recall
having to pay.
I would have had to pay and meet some requirements to have all my classes
back on.
Check cost of replacement of licence having lost one, as well as changing
over to new type.

Old July 14th 10, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"David" wrote in message

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at the .gov site

When , where and what about renewing a driving licence is there in detail

In the last five years I've been to Sweden and France using my old paper licence
and had no problems

It says on the .gov site any one approaching the age of 70 will be advised to
renew their licence three month prior to the expiry of their current licence

Local traffic cop says on a standard licence ( renewed at 70 ) the only classes
you will loose are mini buses and the like

DieSea

Old July 14th 10, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"DieSea" wrote in message

In the last five years I've been to Sweden and France using my old paper
licence and had no problems

It says on the .gov site any one approaching the age of 70 will be advised
to renew their licence three month prior to the expiry of their current
licence

Local traffic cop says on a standard licence ( renewed at 70 ) the only
classes you will loose are mini buses and the like

The last paper EU compliant might be ok as you say but not the old paper UK
one.

Old July 14th 10, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

The cost is 20 for a replacement photocard licence, and renewal at 70 is
free, and I know after 70 some groups are omitted unless you ask them, I
have plenty of friends over 70 who have been through this, but I am only 67
so would have three years to go on old paper one anyway.
I will look on Portugal Tourist Information O might have more luck there.
Liz

Old July 14th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

I have already looked and looked again and I cannot see anywhere if you
replace your paper licence with a photocard licence it will last 10 years to
take you over the age of 70, i.e. in my case I am 67 = 77, can you please
send link
Liz

Old July 14th 10, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

I don't see what the problem is. The DFT web site explains it
quite clearly.

All photo driving licences expire after 10 years from original
issue and have to be renewed with a new photograph.

ALL driving licences expire at 70 and have to be renewed every
three years thereafter. However if it is a photo licence then the
picture is still valid for 10 years. Thus if the OP is 67 and
gets a photo licence the DFT will request a new picture at age
77.

A UK driving licence held by a UK national is valid anywhere in
the EU, and vice versa, for six months in any one visit. There is
usually a requirement to obtain a local licence after 6 months
recidency. The only advice is that it is a good idea to carry a
copy of your driving licence in the local language when
travelling in Italy and Spain, and a bail bond also for the
latter. If you are a member of the AA or RAC they will readily
advise and supply.

If the OP would like the 'belt-and-braces' approach get an IDP -
an International Driving Permit. They cost about a fiver or so,
last a year from issue, and can be obtained from the AA, RAC, or
the Post Office. They carry your picture etc, are of standard
design so internationally recognised, and carry details in
several languages.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 14th 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Try this URL Liz

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022086

--
DieSea

Old July 14th 10, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
The cost is 20 for a replacement photocard licence, and renewal at 70 is
free, and I know after 70 some groups are omitted unless you ask them, I
have plenty of friends over 70 who have been through this, but I am only
67 so would have three years to go on old paper one anyway.
I will look on Portugal Tourist Information O might have more luck there.
Liz

I got this off Google
http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/...id-abroad.html

Old July 14th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

thanks so it would still expire at 70 even though I have now spoken to
someone who told me his licence did not expire until we was 72, and the
woman in the Post Office was wrong. Thanks to all who contributed.
Liz