My cabinet mirror problem

Old July 21st 10, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

Default My cabinet mirror problem

Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks
Old July 21st 10, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Tim wrote:
Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks

Mate the two parts, correctly positioned, with the door open. You can
experiment with the positioning without glue.

Add glue, tape door shut, wait .... and hope!
Old July 21st 10, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Dougal" DougalATHisKennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...
Tim wrote:
Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks

Mate the two parts, correctly positioned, with the door open. You can experiment
with the positioning without glue.

Add glue, tape door shut, wait .... and hope!

There's a NONAILS Tape as well

Perhaps not as strong as super glue

Under a fiver a roll at your local wilco

--
DieSea

Old July 21st 10, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Tim wrote:

Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??

Mate the two parts and put a thin layer of Blu-Tack, or
plasticine, on the back of the mirror. Close the cabinet, and you
should then be able to see the indentation from the nylon piece.

Alternatively, put a piece of double-sided tape on the nylon
piece and see where it sticks to the mirror.

In either case, it should not be too difficult, perhaps with the
aid of masking tape, to record and reproduce the exact location.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old July 21st 10, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Tim submitted this idea :
Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks

I would have thought the industrial grade of that thick spongy cored
double sided tape would solve that.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old July 21st 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tunku[_2_]

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

Tim submitted this idea :
Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks

I would have thought the industrial grade of that thick spongy cored
double sided tape would solve that.

Nip up to your local Ford dealer and get a rearview mirror stick on pad.
Costs 50p and will not come off. Ever.

--
The above post may contain traces of irony
Old July 21st 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

Tim wrote:
Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks

Mate the two parts, correctly positioned, with the door open. You can experiment
with the positioning without glue.

Add glue, tape door shut, wait .... and hope!

There's a NONAILS Tape as well

Perhaps not as strong as super glue

Under a fiver a roll *at your local wilco

--
DieSea

Its hard to describe this catch but you cannot "mate" the two parts as
the catch part on the mirror is not held by the metal catch on the
cabinet unless it is under tension by the roller on the catch. You
cant open the door connect the two halves of the catch and slowly
close to see where it would end up..if that makes sense.
Old July 21st 10, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

On 21 July, 11:16, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this thought. There may be some mileage in experimenting
with low tack tape or whatever but as above tricky because its the
tension of the closed door that holds the nylon bit in place..no
tension..drops out.
Old July 21st 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:51:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Was about to glue catch on back of mirror with superglue..thanks
Diesea..but found I had no way of correctly positioning it as it is a
closed cabinet and of course I cant see where it is supposed to go.
This is the push to lock and push to open type with a small nylon
shaped piece on the back of the mirror and a heavier metal sprung bit
with a roller inside. Being superglue only get one chance!
Any ideas??
Tks

Put the two parts of the catch together , with a lit candle , drip a
SMALL amount of wax over the catch, just enough to get them in line
and together, then shut the door on to the catch (having applied glass
glue,super glue,double sided tape,chewing gum :-) )
leave until set.
Now comes the good part...keep "knocking/pushing" on the mirror door
as if trying to open it until it brakes the wax, once door opens then
clean of residue.
I managed to get just a smear of wax on the catch so was easy to clean
if you use too much you will need a heat gun to soften it so that you
can get it all off.

Thats how I did it.

John